Susan Rice Stock Portfolio

Status
Not open for further replies.

Running_Man

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I am unconcerned about the political turn in Susan Rice's career, however in looking at the news I saw she is the richest individual in the Obama administration with a portfolio in excess of 44 million dollars. Considering her background of marrying a news reporter and working in the private sector for only a couple of years, it is amazing to witness the wealth she has accumulated.

Her primary investments are in individual stocks, with a wide range of individual foreign holdings, indeed the Royal Bank of Canada and Toronto Diminion Bank paid her dividends between $100,000 and $1,000,000 each in 2011. There is also a significant uptick in 2011 in her holdings of gold and silver. You can see all of her transactions and holdings available for download.

Susan E. Rice | Personal Finance Disclosure | OpenSecrets

Also, I hear many of the companies she owns have done illegal biz with Iran.

If I had 44 million the last thing I would do is spend my time in public office.

You rang?

Attachments

• 149775.jpg
    149775.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 4
She probably had a sizeable inheritance which she invested wisely.

Rice's dad was in academia and finance, a former Federal Reserve Board member. Momma was also an academic, in education.

A remarkable family story, probably with financial success by most measures, but not multi-million-dollar wealth:
Rice family enjoys a 'fantastic journey' | The Portland Press Herald / Maine Sunday Telegram

Dig far enough, though, and you'll find she's married to a college sweetheart who came from old money in Victoria B.C. Her father-in-law was president of the family plywood business, which dates to the early 1900's.

WEDDINGS - Susan E. Rice, Ian Cameron - NYTimes.com

One of the company's sawmills, located on the Victoria waterfront, was closed in 1989 and the site was sold in 1991.
See page 6 for site and family history:
http://www.gorgetillicum.ca/newsletter/uploads/4-2008.pdf
The development today - no doubt the site sold for many millions:
Selkirk Waterfront Community

And the connection to ER is....? Move along folks, nothing to see here but a rich Canadian's portfolio.

I like to look at the holdings of people who make mucho bucks. It's like getting free advice from the same person she paid for.

There may be something interesting to look at and consider putting into my stock portfolio. Royal Bank of Canada is a really good holding. I've had it for 6 yrs. now and it hasn't let me down. I want to look at the other bank she holds that is in Canada too.

In an age when money is so important to so many it is difficult to attract highly qualified people to hold public office. An independently wealth person choosing to serve the greater good through public service can be a great benefit. I'm grateful she has made this choice.

In an age when money is so important to so many it is difficult to attract highly qualified people to hold public office. An independently wealth person choosing to serve the greater good through public service can be a great benefit. I'm grateful she has made this choice.
+1

Agree. Also less chance they will be bribed or influenced by lobbyists.

If I had 44 million the last thing I would do is spend my time in public office.

+3

Apparently she owns a lot of oil and pipeline stocks too, eg Transcanada. That could put her in a conflict of interest position with respect to Keystone and other energy initiatives.

If I has a choice between the SOS job and her portfolio, I would stick with the portfolio!

Last edited:
I like to look at the holdings of people who make mucho bucks. It's like getting free advice from the same person she paid for.

There may be something interesting to look at and consider putting into my stock portfolio. Royal Bank of Canada is a really good holding. I've had it for 6 yrs. now and it hasn't let me down. I want to look at the other bank she holds that is in Canada too.

There you go....

https://www.tdwaterhouse.ca/markets-research/stocks/stocks.jsp

Moody

TD is apparently the last publicly traded bank in the world rated AAA by Moody's.

This is missing the point of the thread and hijacking it into political commentary. Time and time again asset allocation, low cost mutual funds is the sure way to go to secure a retirement.

From what I have found her wealth has gone from about 8 million in 2006 to 44 million today. And she has done this primarily by investing in individual stocks. Indeed in that time frame in 2007 - 2008 while everyone else was losing money she had a huge percentage of her portfolio in Canadian Oil and banks and actually increased her portfolio.

The interesting thing is she is required by the government to disclose all of her investments and because she has been in government since 2008 you can track her actual portfolio and if one wanted to one could learn how one of the most educated and intelligent people in the world is investing their money.
The point of this thread was to discuss those points not to stray into the political, that is why I posted this in the individual stock threads.

My post was not at all political. Some feel a person with that wealth would be retired while I felt a dedication to public office was appropriate. If I wanted to inject politics into the thread I would highlight her partisan affiliations or bring up her job in some way. If the interest is only investing there is no need to even mention her job, party, or who she reports to.

Last edited:
If it's joint investments, then we should treat discussion differently. The increase in family wealth may entirely be the spouse's acumen. Maybe he came into large cash proceeds in 2008, did research, and was rewarded for his efforts.

I've got this craving for pork chops and applesauce for dinner tonight :)

This is missing the point of the thread and hijacking it into political commentary. Time and time again asset allocation, low cost mutual funds is the sure way to go to secure a retirement.
What point of the thread? The OP simply said that Rice has more money than other appointees. The responses to that bounced around from it would be better to ER to bacon burning. I don't see any coherent trend to this thread at all. :) So how is saying he appreciates the willingness of people with money to serve in the public sector a hijack? And what is political about such a statement?

Maybe we should all try to get back on the intended topic. :)

+1

Still, I'd likely choose FIRE... Sounds like the greater good to me!

From what I have found her wealth has gone from about 8 million in 2006 to 44 million today. And she has done this primarily by investing in individual stocks. Indeed in that time frame in 2007 - 2008 while everyone else was losing money she had a huge percentage of her portfolio in Canadian Oil and banks and actually increased her portfolio.

The interesting thing is she is required by the government to disclose all of her investments and because she has been in government since 2008 you can track her actual portfolio and if one wanted to one could learn how one of the most educated and intelligent people in the world is investing their money.
The point of this thread was to discuss those points not to stray into the political, that is why I posted this in the individual stock threads.

I would readily concede that concentrated positions in the "right" companies is a good way to get uber wealthy...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom