Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-03-2009, 04:10 PM   #21
Confused about dryer sheets

Why can't you transfer your stock holdings "in-kind" to Vanguard? They don't charge a fee for that type of transfer. Once you've completed the transfer to a Vanguard Brokerage Account, you can then take your time deciding what, if anything, you want to sell. You would then only have to pay the $25 for any stock you want to sell.
oldprinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2009, 06:39 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I moved to VG in '05. Only sold my expen$ive Merrill Lynch funds. I agree, don't be in a hurry to sell all your stocks unless you're new move to VG is part of a larger strategy. Having said that, this might be the time to do a little house cleaning while you're at it. If you're like me you don't pay a lot of attention to these details until something goes kerfluie.
Old 05-05-2009, 11:03 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

"To be Inspired? Look at how your Portfolio Did btwn 2000-2002 and then Total up the tot. Rtns btwn 03' & 04'.. what was your Tot. Gains for 03' & 04'? That will give you an idea of what lies ahead for your stocks..all in 1 yr this time around"

Re: What makes me believe this? Faith and Eternal Optimist..LOL but I just said to just help you Inspire yourself in these rough times and give you some hope..
If one is a Pessimist and has no faith in our System? I wouldn't be Investing in much more than just Conservative Bonds or CD's.. and if you Have enough $ that doing what that will achieve your Retirement goals? More Power to you..
There are many that have Pensions & SS to take care of them and their savings isn't needed and just needing maybe 2-4% apy is enough to leave to the kids and the heck with it..

For the Rest of usthat either aren't so fortunate or like me, want to support some chariteis with as much as I can make? Not so much..and have very little choice but to take some "Acceptable" risks...

And Except of course, for those with short term ( less than 3 yrs) time horizons, then I'd best be in MMkt, CD's and ST/HYld bonds..( Such as FFHRX ) for this yr..and wait for LT Treasuries to get at or above 7% and buy them..

And don't get me wrong! If we have another repeat of the Carter Yrs w/LT Treasuries in the Mid Teens? I will be selling just about everything, including my New Bar-B-Q, My Car, and my Golf Clubs and buy them...

There is just getting to be too many devious traders manipulating the market me thinks .. Thus why I advocated Bal. & Bond Funds..& I let them take over the helm..

Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Switching to Vanguard
Old 05-05-2009, 04:33 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Switching to Vanguard

I have been very pleased with Vanguard. I also like USAA and Schwab. I wish I had stuck with these three exclusively instead of getting bogged down with other vendors that charge higher fees with no appreciable value in return (like the bank private investment advisors). However, at this point in time, I am not making any moves due to the down market. I just try not to think about it. As I still w**k full-time, I have a lot to keep my thoughts occupied with other things.
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 07:11 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
What makes me believe this? Faith and Eternal Optimist..LOL but I just said to just help you Inspire yourself in these rough times and give you some hope..

I was hoping it may have been something more substantive that made you feel the way you do.

My reasoning for a quicker recovery than most expect would be:

(1) Montgomery's studies show we touch upon previous highs in relatively short order after a bear market trough - http://www.statefarm.com/_pdf/surviv...ear_market.pdf
The indices may not stay at those recovered levels, but it would at least give one a chance to re-evaluate / re-allocate resources.

(2) Although I'm not particularly fond of Ken Fisher, he makes some very good points here - Anticipate the V - Forbes.com
This very much looks like the start of a V recovery to me as evidenced by the extreme right side of this chart - .INX - S&P 500 INDEX - Google Finance

(3) The exceptionaly tremendous amount of stimulus we (country) have thrown at this recession has been historic in proportion. It has to have some affect. The after-affects (positive or negative) may be an issue down the road (time frame debatable).
Snidely Whiplash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 07:21 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Oops, forgot one.......

(4) If you look at the return for the S&P 500 for the years after we suffer a major decline (ex. great depression, which I believe is NOT on the table) of more than 20% you see pretty decent returns.

1937 -32%
1938 +17%

1974 -26%
1975 +38%

2002 -22%
2003 +28%

For 2008 we were down 37%. And for 2009 we are just now even. This rally could be substantial and have quite a way more to go.
Snidely Whiplash is offline   Reply With Quote