Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-25-2018, 01:41 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine View Post
Some say a bear market is close because the bull is getting old.
Isn't that the same as saying my next coin flip will probably be tails because the last nine were heads?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2018, 01:54 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathy63 View Post
Haven't you heard that civilization is going to collapse in 2040? The stock market won't matter after that.

https://bigthink.com/paul-ratner/in-...-its-on-target
Not a problem for me. I'll be 87 years old, and thus past my "break-even" date, so I'll be ahead of the game!
Old 08-25-2018, 02:06 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I don't know, either.
I know, but I aint telling.
Old 08-25-2018, 02:35 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I didn't even read the article but when a lot of people start exclaiming that the longest bull market in decades will go on for another ten years I think irrational exuberance. Not that I will be changing anything in any event. Ten more years and I will definitely be flying first class.
Old 08-25-2018, 02:43 PM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

I absolutely, positively agree that this time it's different from all other times and that nothing will change until it changes. And, if this is the sort of thing you like, you'll like this sort of thing. On the other hand, we have 5 fingers. :angel :
Old 08-25-2018, 02:56 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Who was that old guy - J. P. Morgan or some such said about The Market 'It Will Fluctuate.'

I on the other hand have have put my trust in electricity and those 'Trusty? Vanguard computers' to re - balance my balanced index on full auto.

From 1966 to 2006 I finally figured out that I hadn't figured it out so I went full auto.

heh heh heh - If after being really cheap early in ER and loosening up spend wise later in ER and IF money is left on the table I will try not to cry.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 02:58 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Isn't that the same as saying my next coin flip will probably be tails because the last nine were heads?
Sounds very similar to me. But maybe you have a magic coin that can tell the future?
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 03:11 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabby Mike View Post
Not a problem for me. I'll be 87 years old, and thus past my "break-even" date, so I'll be ahead of the game!
And I'll be 88.

But, according to the article, by 2020 (15 months from now) the "quality of life should go to zero" due to pollution and overpopulation to the point where pollution starts to kill people and the population goes down below where it was in 1900.

See, in 1973 pollution and overpopulation was 'the thing' only to be replaced by global cooling, replaced by acid rain, which was replaced by the oil shortage, which led us here: talking about SS haircuts as we wait for ever increasingly expensive shipping containers to deliver our air conditioners to help us deal with global warming which we won't be able to afford because of the Boomers having caused a recession.
Old 08-25-2018, 03:53 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyber888 View Post
https://cabotwealth.com/daily/stock-...ely-years-run/

Saw an article and I agree the bull run will continue for awhile.. another 10 years or so perhaps. The Tech sector will continue to power growth.
I'm not a doom-and-gloom type, but I'm also old enough to remember "Dow 36000" in the late 1990s.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dow_36,000
Out of Steam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 03:58 PM   #30

What a bunch of noise. We have known that the Mayans have shown us that the galactic end of the world is going to occur in 2012...

Wait a minute...
Old 08-25-2018, 05:31 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
I didn't even read the article but when a lot of people start exclaiming that the longest bull market in decades will go on for another ten years I think irrational exuberance. Not that I will be changing anything in any event. Ten more years and I will definitely be flying first class.

Yeah but, according to the article, this bull market run only started in 2013 so it’s only 5 yrs old.
Old 08-25-2018, 06:25 PM   #32

I know one thing , DW has a 401K and we are watching the Dow very close . Once the Dow hits 26000 we will sell and move to a managed IRA . Expect a correction when the market hits 26000. ……...OK just talking .
Breedlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 06:59 PM   #33

Quote:
Haven't you heard that civilization is going to collapse in 2040? The stock market won't matter after that.

It can't be. Based on the translated Tibetan Buddhist scriptures, Human beings tens of thousands of years ago were giants and lived thousands of years. When the world ends, human beings will be 12 inches tall and have a 20 years lifespan at most. We're not there yet.
Old 08-26-2018, 02:52 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyber888 View Post
https://cabotwealth.com/daily/stock-...ely-years-run/

Saw an article and I agree the bull run will continue for awhile.. another 10 years or so perhaps. The Tech sector will continue to power growth.

I’ve heard the doom and gloom saying the Baby Boomers will take out tons of money from the stock market..and the market will collapse lol. On the other hand, aside from the military and government workers who are still getting pensions, Private pensions are a thing of the past and younger people are plowing their retirement savings into the stock market or index funds. And I think many boomers’s kids will inherit their 401k, instead of blowing all of it.
being both a 'baby boomer ' and a contrarian it should come as no surprise that i disagree , i see pensions being wound back 70 soon and 75 later

a lot a superannuation funds will be ghosts of what you expect , excessive fees and other charges and to ( very often ) compound that serial under-performance if there is a bond rout or stock market collapse watch the asset base and yields plummet .

i need to be in the market to force asset growth but i also take profit earlier than many .

there is a huge amount of global debt , there is no nice resolution to the massive debt obligations .

You must learn from the mistakes of others. You can't possibly live long enough to make them all yourself.

Samuel Levenson
Oz investor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 04:54 AM   #35

The good thing to know here is that before the market tumbles into a correction, followed by a decade long bear, articles like this will give us plenty of warning ahead of time, for us to reallocate appropriately.
HadEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 06:18 AM   #36

Quote:

Not a problem for us. We will be dead by then or have so few grey cells left we won't know what is going on anyway. However, I might talk to the grown children about options with their inheritance if they are interested in my opinion. Whether they manage it for their remaining years or blow it all is up to them. What ever they decide is alright with me. I won't know anyway. My job will be done.

Cheers!
Badger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 06:57 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by HadEnuff View Post
The good thing to know here is that before the market tumbles into a correction, followed by a decade long bear, articles like this will give us plenty of warning ahead of time, for us to reallocate appropriately.

allocate to where

i am very light in interest bearing securities ( and will probably have a hybrid converted before the year's end )

simply because the reward for risk taken is not there , i did move extra cash into real estate trusts ( as bond proxies ) but that market is slowly declining and may yet slump heavily .

CDs barely beat inflation and might not break even , depending ob your tax obligations .

considering this is a 'fantastic bull market ' there are some very strange indicators flashing

You must learn from the mistakes of others. You can't possibly live long enough to make them all yourself.

Samuel Levenson
Oz investor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 07:06 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
No.
Old 08-26-2018, 07:10 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
See, in 1973 pollution and overpopulation was 'the thing' only to be replaced by global cooling, replaced by acid rain, which was replaced by the oil shortage, which led us here: talking about SS haircuts as we wait for ever increasingly expensive shipping containers to deliver our air conditioners to help us deal with global warming which we won't be able to afford because of the Boomers having caused a recession.
Some of these issues were addressed and improved - like acid rain and oil shortages.
Old 08-26-2018, 08:30 AM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
. . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Some of these issues were addressed and improved - like acid rain and oil shortages.
And, there never was a consensus on global cooling. In fact, in the mid-70s the basic consensus was that they did not yet have a good understanding of what determines the course of the "climate machine" to make climate predictions.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote