Join Early Retirement Today

The day the bottom comes
Old 09-18-2008, 02:04 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

The day the bottom comes

When you feel this is it, the bottom, capitualtion. What actions will you take going forward?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2008, 04:21 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Start sleeping through the night again :-)

Old 09-18-2008, 07:28 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Nothing different, continue to DCA in.
Old 09-18-2008, 07:35 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Ditto, continue to DCA, and stay the course. I'm taking a look at overall AA and making note of biggest losers (all mutual funds) for future reference, but no action will be taken now. at year end, if i see a tax harvest (cap loss) opportunity for any of my higher ER funds (highest is .70), i may do an exchange to a lower ER fund. a very big maybe...
Old 09-18-2008, 10:03 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Nothing different, continue to DCA in.
Old 09-18-2008, 10:07 AM   #6

Nothing, really -- when it's time to rebalance it's time to rebalance, and in the meantime, 10% of my pay plus a 5% employer match goes dutifully into the 401K and $416 a month goes into the Roth for both the better half and me.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 12:59 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

Increase the wife's contribution from last years match 3%, to this year's, 4%. Silly vesting schedule.

Hopefully that'll take effect for next months contribution.

We're still early in the accumulation phase. Catching the falling knife won't look so bad in 20-30 years when the scar has healed handsomely.

I'd like to start a Roth for her too, but the 2-kids-in-daycare plus a "small" truck payment prevents this for another year, or two.

-CC
Old 09-18-2008, 04:50 PM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The way the Government is interfering in the markets I doubt anyone will know when the bottom gets here. What further actions is the Government going to take that will change the landscape for years to come? I guess some of it had to be done but it still looks like the entire world is getting on board with throwing money at their markets. What happens when all of these Governments decide to take back the money, probably in the form of higher taxes. Seems to me that someone said on this board "it is different this time" IMHO is sure looks that way now.

"Market timers" sure have had the opportunity to make a bundle this week IF they were quick and a tad lucky. Maybe a few new Millionaires were made this week from all of the clerks working at the US and foreign Treasuries with the inside track on these unprecedented manipulations.
Old 09-18-2008, 05:27 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Calling a bottom is a fools errand to begin with. If you hit it, rest assured luck had a lot to do with it, and beware false confidence in your abilities going forward. Haven't changed my AA, and don't plan to anytime soon, ie 'stay the course.' And my new money will be deployed consistent with my AA regardless of what the market is doing at the time. Has served me extremely well in the long run so far.

None of us are enjoying the current slide and recent news and associated gyrations, but not the first time (which allows me to sleep like a baby at night) and won't be the last. We're all gonna do what we're comfortable with, so what others do isn't a primary concern to you or I...

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 05:50 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Well, I'm going to find the bottom, then I'm going all in with my cash. Into good low cost index funds and ETFs of course. I'm no gambler.
Old 09-18-2008, 05:54 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Calling a bottom is a fools errand to begin with. If you hit it, rest assured luck had a lot to do with it, and beware false confidence in your abilities going forward. Haven't changed my AA, and don't plan to anytime soon, ie 'stay the course.' And my new money will be deployed consistent with my AA regardless of what the market is doing at the time. Has served me extremely well in the long run so far.
I agree with this, but I think some might find something a little therapeutic or even a little fun in just trying to "guess" at the bottom for bragging rights. It won't change my strategy or my asset allocation in any event.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 07:43 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Well, I'm going to find the bottom,
Who needs the bottom. I'll be satisfied by any old bottom that happens along.

Ha
Old 09-18-2008, 08:02 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
I agree with this, but I think some might find something a little therapeutic or even a little fun in just trying to "guess" at the bottom for bragging rights. It won't change my strategy or my asset allocation in any event.
I don't disagree, but I gathered the OP was suggesting acting on guessing the bottom....

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 08:25 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Calling a bottom is a fools errand to begin with.
I agree with this too. The only thing I know is that I never know (and neither does anyone else, unless there's a wayback machine out there somewhere). But so far, asset allocation has worked for me. I have enough slop I rarely need to actually do anything to rebalance (so far only once, in 2002). I ERed in 2000.
Fair disclosure: If I really think it's hit bottom and going up again I'll switch my weekly coffee date treat from brewed back to mocha.
Old 09-18-2008, 09:14 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Who needs the bottom. I'll be satisfied by any old bottom that happens along.

Ha
The question is, is it a triple bottom, or just extremely saggy?
Old 09-19-2008, 02:09 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Well, I'm going to find the bottom, then I'm going all in with my cash. Into good low cost index funds and ETFs of course. I'm no gambler.
I called six bottoms during 2001-2002, and went all in for most of them...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 08:49 AM   #17

Calling the bottom is just as difficult as calling the top. I plan to increase my asset allocation in stocks by 5% during the current bear market. I did a little DCA last week. IMHO, we will not see a bottom for some time once the market starts to absorb the long term ramifications of the rescue plan that congress is expected to approve this weekend.

--Henry David Thoreau
Retire Soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 09:12 AM   #18
Administrator

OK, I have been resisting posting this response ever since post #1 on this thread. It's totally juvenile but I can't help myself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida View Post
When you feel this is it, the bottom, capitualtion. What actions will you take going forward?
What actions will I take? I will not touch my portfolio, but I'm going to:

"Do a little dance, make a little love, get down tonight!"

[/juvenile]

It is going to be SO NICE when we finally get back to a rising, thriving market environment where we can watch our portfolios growing day by day.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 10:23 AM   #19

[quote=Want2retire;717380]OK, I have been resisting posting this response ever since post #1 on this thread. It's totally juvenile but I can't help myself.

What actions will I take? I will not touch my portfolio, but I'm going to:

"Do a little dance, make a little love, get down tonight!"

[/juvenile]

It is going to be SO NICE when we finally get back to a rising, thriving market environment where we can watch our portfolios growing day by day.[/quote

What day will that be?

--Henry David Thoreau
Retire Soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 10:34 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

I think W2R has been touching a little too much of someone's bottom lately