Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-09-2015, 04:05 PM   #261
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Damn rogue engineers are spreading evil everywhere...
Quote:
Mercedes-Benz, Honda, Mazda and Mitsubishi have joined the growing list of manufacturers whose diesel cars are known to emit significantly more pollution on the road than in regulatory tests, according to data obtained by the Guardian.

In more realistic on-road tests, some Honda models emitted six times the regulatory limit of NOx pollution while some unnamed 4x4 models had 20 times the NOx limit coming out of their exhaust pipes.

“The issue is a systemic one” across the industry, said Nick Molden, whose company Emissions Analytics tested the cars. The Guardian revealed last week that diesel cars from Renault, Nissan, Hyundai, Citroen, Fiat, Volvo and Jeep all pumped out significantly more NOx in more realistic driving conditions.
Four more carmakers join diesel emissions row | Environment | The Guardian
You left out an important clause:
Quote:
There is no evidence of illegal activity, such as the “defeat devices” used by Volkswagen..
All this is saying is that the EU's standard test-bed test does not match 'real world' drive tests. No cheating.

And the reality is, it isn't easy to design a standard test to reflect 'real-world' usage, as usage varies so much. Just like a laptop hours-of-battery per charge spec - it depends a LOT on how you use it.

I was thinking about this earlier - a standard test like this has a fixed series of starts/stops, accel/decel, cruise at various speeds, etc. But if I have a car with a powerful engine, I might routinely accel much faster than the test. And if I have a modest power car, it might mean I'm a much more conservative driver. But the test (AFAIK), never pushes the car to it's max acceleration. And even that isn't 'fair' - maybe I bought that car but don't drive it like that.

Defining a standard test is not easy, and it's unlikely to ever be 'fair'. We can hope it is good enough though. An alternative is for these tailpipe sniffers to be installed on all cars 24/7, and you would get taxed annually on your own emissions. No, I'm not suggesting we go there.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2015, 04:08 PM   #262
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
You left out an important clause:
I knew you'd be along shortly to pick the nits for us...
Old 10-09-2015, 04:10 PM   #263
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I knew you'd be along shortly to pick the nits for us...
Those are far from nits (not sure if the 'smiley' was an acknowledgement of that or not).

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 05:41 PM   #264
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Damn rogue engineers are spreading evil everywhere...

Four more carmakers join diesel emissions row | Environment | The Guardian
Red herring.
Old 10-18-2015, 02:20 PM   #265
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Inspector Clouseau is now on the case : Police raid Volkswagen's headquarters in France - MarketWatch
Lakewood90712 is offline   Reply With Quote