Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-06-2018, 08:21 AM   #221
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

A good company does not necessarily mean a good stock.

A good stock does not necessarily mean a good company.

That's why I use index funds.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2018, 08:23 AM   #222
Give me a forum ...

IMHO, what Mr. Musk needs at Tesla is another Gwynne Shotwell.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gwynne_Shotwell

Quote:
Gwynne Shotwell (Rowley; born November 23, 1963) is an American businesswoman. Gwynne Shotwell is President and Chief Operating Officer at SpaceX (Space Exploration Technologies Corporation), where she is responsible for day-to-day operations and company growth.

Old 08-07-2018, 03:33 AM   #223
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauss View Post
Probably a good thing that I am not in the marketing or business strategy professions. -gauss
I can assure you that business strategy professionals have little useful to say about Tesla, Bitcoin or Apple.

They still miss their blackberry keyboards ..
Old 08-07-2018, 05:00 AM   #224

Thanks to all the early adopters buying Tesla EVs and lowering the costs for those of us who wait until that tech hits mass-market prices.
Old 08-07-2018, 10:30 AM   #225

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbill View Post
Thanks to all the early adopters buying Tesla EVs and lowering the costs for those of us who wait until that tech hits mass-market prices.
But you'll miss out on the tax credits the early adopters all took, $7,500 tax credit currently. May actually end up costing you more if price isn't $7,500 less in the future.
Old 08-07-2018, 01:27 PM   #226
Gone but not forgotten

The headline says it all:

Quote:
Tesla shares rise on report Saudi Arabia sovereign wealth fund has $2 billion stake
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/08/07/tesl...nd-has-2-.html
Old 08-07-2018, 02:34 PM   #227

I think it was because EM has tweeted that he will take Tesla private at $420 per share. That is why the stock was halted today.
Old 08-07-2018, 02:55 PM   #228

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYEXPAT View Post
I think it was because EM has tweeted that he will take Tesla private at $420 per share. That is why the stock was halted today.
If he truely was going to do that, hasn't he now opened himself up for SEC investigation?
Old 08-07-2018, 03:11 PM   #229

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totoro View Post
I can assure you that business strategy professionals have little useful to say about Tesla, Bitcoin or Apple.

They still miss their blackberry keyboards ..

Hey I resemble that remark and I still miss my BlackBerry keyboard. My iPhone constantly puts an 'n' when I hit 'space'. And my fingers are just not that big.
Old 08-07-2018, 03:39 PM   #230

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandsherry View Post
If he truely was going to do that, hasn't he now opened himself up for SEC investigation?
Don't think so. The stock was halted for a moment because it wasn't clear if his twitter was a formal announcement. Restarted when it was posted on the Tesla blog.

He says he's considering it and will ask for shareholder approval, not that he will do it.
https://www.tesla.com/blog/taking-Tesla-private

Quote:
This proposal to go private would ultimately be finalized through a vote of our shareholders. If the process ends the way I expect it will, a private Tesla would ultimately be an enormous opportunity for all of us. Either way, the future is very bright and we’ll keep fighting to achieve our mission.
Note that it isn't a buyout offer, it's a delisting proposal.
Old 08-07-2018, 05:07 PM   #231
Give me a forum ...

I went to look to see if I could find out how much Elon owns... could not find..

But Kimbal Musk has sold $12 million worth of stock over the last couple of years..

A nice article on potential liability... https://finance.yahoo.com/news/tesla...193337579.html short sellers have been hurt with this tweet, so can sue if there was nothing behind it..

I would be surprised he could get private funding to take it private... I thought the valuation was insane before, but at $420 or so it is even worse.. I still do not see a return on that investment...
Old 08-07-2018, 05:25 PM   #232
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
I went to look to see if I could find out how much Elon owns... could not find..

But Kimbal Musk has sold $12 million worth of stock over the last couple of years..

A nice article on potential liability... https://finance.yahoo.com/news/tesla...193337579.html short sellers have been hurt with this tweet, so can sue if there was nothing behind it..

I would be surprised he could get private funding to take it private... I thought the valuation was insane before, but at $420 or so it is even worse.. I still do not see a return on that investment...
I read today that the really rich Saudi prince, or whatever he is, has accumulated another (?) $2 billion in Tesla stock. Now why would these guys want to load up on it, or even think about financing anything when they sell crude oil (LOL)?

Remember a couple of years ago Michael Dell took Dell private. Carl Ican was fighting it but lost.
Old 08-07-2018, 06:09 PM   #233

Quote:
The figure I heard on CNBC today was 20%.
Old 08-07-2018, 06:13 PM   #234

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
I read today that the really rich Saudi prince, or whatever he is, has accumulated another (?) $2 billion in Tesla stock. Now why would these guys want to load up on it, or even think about financing anything when they sell crude oil (LOL)? .
So let's just play devil's advocate. If Saudi's got a controlling stake and basically killed Tesla off, you think that has more value than their investment? Maybe.... Not like something similar to this hasn't happened before.

Or could it be they see the future and want to get in on the ground floor? As electric gains more market they get to ride the hill up as oil use subsides, so a hedge bet more or less.
Old 08-07-2018, 07:17 PM   #235
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
So let's just play devil's advocate. If Saudi's got a controlling stake and basically killed Tesla off, you think that has more value than their investment? Maybe.... Not like something similar to this hasn't happened before.

Or could it be they see the future and want to get in on the ground floor? As electric gains more market they get to ride the hill up as oil use subsides, so a hedge bet more or less.
If the Saudis wanted to supercharge interest in EVs killing off Tesla would be a great way to do it since it would be clear signal to everybody who does not live in an oil rich country that they need an alternative to petroleum based propulsion.

I think they are hedging their bets. Also, they have a lot of sunshine in Saudi Arabia, true? So there is a lot of solar power to charge their EVs.

Or maybe the short sellers did something to get the Saudi Royal Family mad at them?

Old 08-07-2018, 09:14 PM   #236
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

But the other car companies are catching up to Tesla... looks like Tesla is selling about 40% of the EVs in the US... note: I am a bit surprised at the Model X as it was panned so much in the media... seems to be selling well...

The other thing is that this does not include hybrids which I think is selling much better than all electric.... but I cannot find a site showing these sales..

https://insideevs.com/monthly-plug-in-sales-scorecard/

BUT, it looks like US is only 20% of the worldwide sales... and I do not think Tesla has the market in the EU... so they are selling all those other makes... looks like Germany is the largest purchaser of cars which is probably BMWs...
Old 08-08-2018, 12:35 AM   #237
Recycles dryer sheets

Interesting chart. I notice that the only car model that actually competes with the battery sizes of the Tesla models is the 2018 Chevy Bolt EV. They are the only ones having realistic cross-country ranges running on battery only.
Old 08-08-2018, 07:34 AM   #238

Quote:
BUT, it looks like US is only 20% of the worldwide sales... and I do not think Tesla has the market in the EU... so they are selling all those other makes... looks like Germany is the largest purchaser of cars which is probably BMWs...
Tesla has the full EV market in Norway and The Netherlands (to a lesser extent), amongst a few other countries. It's mostly China where they are in the minority.

Nissan Leaf, Renault Zoe and Opel Ampera are the only other long distance alternatives in Europe, but they do have significant marketshare. BMW is somewhat behind in the race, but catching up.
Old 08-08-2018, 07:43 AM   #239

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cessna152 View Post
Interesting chart. I notice that the only car model that actually competes with the battery sizes of the Tesla models is the 2018 Chevy Bolt EV. They are the only ones having realistic cross-country ranges running on battery only.
Nissan Leaf, and Renault Zoe also have larger battery options either already out, or coming in the next months.

2019 has Volkswagen and Kia right after that. Potentially the Porsche Taycan too (higher price range).
Old 08-08-2018, 08:37 AM   #240
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I

Why isn't the stock trading near his $420 number today after such a tweet instead of the mid $370's. ? Maybe the market doesn't believe it.
Closed Thread