Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-09-2018, 12:59 PM   #261
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Stock racing back to $350 level, may drop below that tomorrow. Just shows the market no longer feels the $420 is viable, imagine the suckers who jumped in at $380 expecting a ride north of $400, instead eyeing a 10% haircut in a matter of days. Not sure which is more speculation, BitCoin or Tesla..... LOL
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2018, 01:02 PM   #262

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut;2090833

Teddy Roosevelt - "[B
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better.[/B] The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat."
I guess growing up next door to "Teddy" did have an effect on me!
Old 08-09-2018, 04:48 PM   #263
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
For those who might have concerns or be interested, as mentioned in an earlier thread, understanding the reason for SEC rule 10b-11, might help when considering any stock that is showing unusual volatility.
Hmm... the NYT must have picked up on this eh?

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/08/b...tesla-sec.html

Quote:
But it was Mr. Musk’s “funding secured” statement on Twitter that may put the iconoclastic founder most at risk. He provided no details about how much funding had been secured, from whom or under what conditions. His email to employees did not mention anything about the funding.

“That’s a clear factual statement,” said John C. Coffee Jr., a professor at Columbia Law School who specializes in corporate law and securities fraud. “If it’s not fully secure, that’s potentially a very material misrepresentation, and a very straightforward violation of Rule 10b-5” of the securities law — in short, securities fraud.
Old 08-12-2018, 07:37 AM   #264
Gone but not forgotten

Another non-tech overview of Tesla the man... from Bloomberg.

"Tesla's Amazing, Tesla's Horrible"

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/featu...nd-bears-speak
Old 08-12-2018, 08:00 AM   #265

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Another non-tech overview of Tesla the man... from Bloomberg.

"Tesla's Amazing, Tesla's Horrible"

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/featu...nd-bears-speak
No discussion of Nikola Tesla.
Old 08-12-2018, 11:39 AM   #266

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauss View Post
No discussion of Nikola Tesla.
That's exactly what crossed my mind too. "What about Nikola?" He's a fascinating person.
Old 08-17-2018, 09:20 AM   #267

Stock continuing to be a knife drop from the $380 at tweet time, pushing near $300 today and with big volume. Maybe index funds bailing due to talk of going private (many can't hold private stock), or maybe the shine on Musk finally coming off?

Looks like shorts may get the last laugh....

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/08/17/tesl...-with-sec.html
Old 08-17-2018, 09:37 AM   #268

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandsherry View Post
Stock continuing to be a knife drop from the $380 at tweet time, pushing near $300 today and with big volume. Maybe index funds bailing due to talk of going private (many can't hold private stock), or maybe the shine on Musk finally coming off?

It will be interesting to see how much TESLA will owe to shorts who were sold out of Tesla position by the Funding Secured @ 420 statement, which has now been shown by the company & Musk to not be true and the defense seems to be I was on drugs at the time.
Old 08-17-2018, 09:39 AM   #269

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandsherry View Post

TESLA is highly unlikely to go private, they will be darn lucky to survive. And index funds by their nature have to hold on to Tesla on the 1 in 100 chance it does go private @ 420 they would underperform the index.
Old 08-17-2018, 05:29 PM   #270
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I don't own Tesla stock, nor am interested in shorting it. I don't even actively follow the company or its CEO, other than read the articles that keep popping up daily on these Web sites.

Just as a passive observer, I saw that the stock price jumped up after the most recent quarterly report, when Musk apologized for his bad behavior in the previous quarterly report. And people started to give him credit for improving the production rate of the Tesla 3.

Then, why did Musk go nuts and do that silly Twitter post about $420/share buyout?

Looks like he is like so many people who crave the limelight that these posts bring. They like to see their name mentioned daily in print, and on various Web sites, I guess.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 08-17-2018, 09:20 PM   #271
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
I think he does not think he can make it through the next year.
Old 08-17-2018, 10:34 PM   #272
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
I think he does not think he can make it through the next year.

What I think is he might be worried about BK...

Remember that he was involved with Solar City and when they had problems he had Tesla buy it... and after being acquired immediately started to drop in the rankings of solar providers.... someone today on TV said that they might be having Space X looking to buy Tesla... I would hate to see that since I think Space X is more important to the USA future than Tesla...

Sounds like a bunch of bait and switch...
Old 08-18-2018, 06:31 AM   #273
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
What I think is he might be worried about BK...
Help me out here. BK? Burger King? Can't be. What do you mean?
Old 08-18-2018, 02:39 PM   #274
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
Help me out here. BK? Burger King? Can't be. What do you mean?

Bankruptcy....
Old 08-18-2018, 03:29 PM   #275
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpeirce View Post
That's exactly what crossed my mind too. "What about Nikola?" He's a fascinating person.
Yes, he "was".
Old 08-18-2018, 04:13 PM   #276

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
The guy's a crackpot.

Nobody wants some clunky old electric car. They are just a bunch of glorified golf carts.

Land and reuse rocket boosters? He must be insane. That only works in science fiction movies.

No way an American company can economically compete with rockets made in China, Russian or even Europe.

The guy's a nut case. Ignore him.

Teddy Roosevelt - "It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat."

I have no idea if Mr. Musk will succeed in making Tesla a profitable ongoing presences in the auto industry. I don't own the individual stock and have no plans to do so. But, Must does things that seasoned experts would never try. The guys and gals at CNN? They can go jump on trampolines.
So are you long TSLA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I don't own Tesla stock, nor am interested in shorting it. I don't even actively follow the company or its CEO, other than read the articles that keep popping up daily on these Web sites.

Just as a passive observer, I saw that the stock price jumped up after the most recent quarterly report, when Musk apologized for his bad behavior in the previous quarterly report. And people started to give him credit for improving the production rate of the Tesla 3.

Then, why did Musk go nuts and do that silly Twitter post about $420/share buyout?

Looks like he is like so many people who crave the limelight that these posts bring. They like to see their name mentioned daily in print, and on various Web sites, I guess.
I am in your camp. This stock is a "don't touch". Way too crazy for me, I will stick with my boring AAPL, ADI, EW, HON, and others. You know, companies that actually make money.
Old 08-18-2018, 05:13 PM   #277
Give me a forum ...

Looks like Tesla may need to stop at recharging station after Friday's close.

Tesla, Inc. (TSLA)

NasdaqGS - NasdaqGS Real Time Price. Currency in USD

305.50 -29.95 (-8.93%)At close: August 17 4:00PM EDT
Thoughts on TESLA
Old 08-18-2018, 05:45 PM   #278
Give me a forum ...

Thoughts on TESLA

Quote:
Originally Posted by copyright1997
So are you long TSLA?

Finish reading what I wrote.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Old 08-18-2018, 06:07 PM   #279
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Bankruptcy....
Ah got it. Thanks.

The way he is acting. The paranoia. For all I know he is worried about Burger King too.
Old 08-19-2018, 08:03 PM   #280
Recycles dryer sheets

Space news interests me, so SpaceX news items inevitably get included in my daily perusal of news. Electric cars never interested me all that much, so normally never followed Tesla news items.

Yet it was the daily attacks on both SpaceX and Tesla that appeared in the comments sections of SpaceX news items that finally made me take a closer look at Tesla news items. The attacks on SpaceX contained obvious false claims with a healthy mixture of personal attacks on Musk’s character. I didn’t quite understand the animosity toward SpaceX since it is not publicly traded. Anyway, after some research I came across this article that provides a plausible explanation for what I was observing and seems to indicate Musk’s paranoia is well earned:
https://insideevs.com/tesla-short-se...media-crusade/

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.” — Catch 22
Closed Thread