Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-03-2018, 02:45 PM   #121
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Here's a question .. if Tesla tanks and goes towards bankruptcy, can Musk save it by using his own money and take it private again?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2018, 02:54 PM   #122

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totoro View Post
Here's a question .. if Tesla tanks and goes towards bankruptcy, can Musk save it by using his own money and take it private again?
Since Musk has another money maker, it would make more sense to let the current company go bankrupt and Musk buy the factory and IP from the bankruptcy estate, not buying the solar city stuff. BTW all levelized cost of energy studies show rooftop solar to be far more expensive than utility scale solar, (even grid tied). Plus rooftop solar in the east also has to deal with lots of clouds while the corridor from West Texas north to the Dakotas has far more sunny days.

Old 04-03-2018, 03:10 PM   #123
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totoro View Post
I think he would look to private equity to bail it out. Why use his money? As an example, look at a deal like Toys R US and Sears Holdings. Probably worked well for the bought out executives early on.
Old 04-03-2018, 03:33 PM   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by meierlde View Post
Since Musk has another money maker, it would make more sense to let the current company go bankrupt and Musk buy the factory and IP from the bankruptcy estate, not buying the solar city stuff. BTW all levelized cost of energy studies show rooftop solar to be far more expensive than utility scale solar, (even grid tied). Plus rooftop solar in the east also has to deal with lots of clouds while the corridor from West Texas north to the Dakotas has far more sunny days.
What other money maker?
Old 04-03-2018, 03:40 PM   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
What other money maker?
Spacex. (except for the futuristic stuff)
Old 04-03-2018, 04:34 PM   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by meierlde View Post
Spacex. (except for the futuristic stuff)

SpaceX is private so hard to say if they are in the black for 2017 but I think they were way in the red before that. No idea how much Musk owns.
Old 04-03-2018, 04:48 PM   #127

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
SpaceX is private so hard to say if they are in the black for 2017 but I think they were way in the red before that. No idea how much Musk owns.
If tesla vanished Musk would not be homeless.
Old 04-03-2018, 06:07 PM   #128

If it wasn't for my taxes subsidies, they'd be bankrupt. Plenty of non-subsidized deep pockets to make E cars without paying off Musk. Whooshhh!
Old 04-03-2018, 09:36 PM   #129
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandsherry View Post
Look at the bottom of this article, is this the type of info you were looking for?

Tesla Model 3 Tracker
Yes, thanks. Some pretty large gaps there, oooh boy. He didn't update until they were way, way behind. Looks like his initial prediction says he should have been at this run rate back ~ Aug/Sept 2017? and then 2nd prediction would have had them running at this rate by the end of the year? And they are already ~ 2 months behind his 3rd prediction given just about 3 months ago.

I wonder if he believes his predictions, or just feels they have to tell the public something that indicates progress and just hope they can at least make gains?

Old 04-03-2018, 10:45 PM   #130
Give me a forum ...

Tesla claimed it reached a production rate of 300/day last week. Still short of the goal of 2,500/week, but it does look like they are improving.
Old 04-04-2018, 06:42 AM   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Tesla claimed it reached a production rate of 300/day last week. Still short of the goal of 2,500/week, but it does look like they are improving.
As I shared earlier, Tesla is reaching that target in a manner that is extraordinary and unusual way and what would appear isn't sustainable. Seems more a case of just window dressing just for end of the quarter reporting.

Old 04-04-2018, 07:14 AM   #132

Musk stated they now have the machinery in place. They expect to continue to ramp up to get to 5000/week in “about 90 days”.
You can make what assumptions you want.
Tesla places very aggressive goals for themselves. To date, they have always reached those goals, just not on time.

The more significant statement was that they will not need to make another stock offering or debt sale this year.
Old 04-04-2018, 08:01 AM   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathras View Post
Musk stated they now have the machinery in place. They expect to continue to ramp up to get to 5000/week in “about 90 days”.
You can make what assumptions you want.
Tesla places very aggressive goals for themselves. To date, they have always reached those goals, just not on time.

The more significant statement was that they will not need to make another stock offering or debt sale this year.
I'd bet the under.....
Tesla misses production goal of 2,500 Model 3s a week

From the article
Quote:
In total, Tesla has made 9,766 Model 3s since the beginning of 2018. A sizable chunk of those — 2,020 — came in the final week of the quarter, a figure that backs up recent reports that the company hurried to increase production to meet Musk’s target. Employees who work on the company’s other cars were reportedly asked in a recent internal memo to help increase production of the Model 3, which would help “prove a bunch of haters wrong.”
Think there's any quality concerns?
Old 04-04-2018, 08:34 AM   #134

Quote:
Nah. It's fine. Gathering people from other functions to do a production push is a good strategy for quality. I have no concerns at all. He should do this push constantly, every day, including weekends since it is working so well.
Old 04-04-2018, 09:53 AM   #135
Give me a forum ...

It's not just the production goal, as important as that is.

Telsa has to get those people who put down some money to hold a spot for a Model 3 to actually sign up, order and pay for a car. If they do that, it is more likely Tesla will have the cash to continue on, even if production takes a bit more time to ramp up.

The same thing happened with the Model S. A team of 150 people who worked in other parts of Tesla were recruited to get on the phones and turn deposits into actual paid orders. It was a great success and along with the government loan, saved the company.

But, at some point, Tesla has to stop living on the bleeding edge of financing.

Mr. Musk has toned down his predictions lately. IIRC, he said something to the effect that if the Falcon Heavy got high enough to not take the launch pad with it when it blew up he would consider it a success. That one was wildly pessimistic.
Old 04-04-2018, 01:57 PM   #136

It seems he underestimates time & production, and overestimates design specs.

His SpaceX time goals have nearly always been missed too, I think by his original schedule he would be on mars five years ago. Design and engineering wise almost always an underestimation.

In other words: I'd buy anything his team builds as long it's available right now
Old 04-04-2018, 02:18 PM   #137
Give me a forum ...

Out of curiosity, I looked up the Jaguar I-PACE, the EV SUV that Waymo is buying to use as a platform for its driverless taxi fleet. It will be in competition with the Tesla X, and with the lower price of $70K vs. $80K. The Jaguar will be available late this year.
Old 04-08-2018, 09:09 AM   #138
Give me a forum ...

Here's an opportunity to earn some cash to buy that new Model 3. Or, perhaps to earn back some of the cash you lost in Tesla stock in the past few months.

I wonder if they give the barristas an employee discount on solar tiles or Model X's??

New York.....

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-bari...ng-coffee-bar/

Quote:
No hyperbole was left behind. “Want to change the world?!,” the post asks (shouts?). If so, then the opportunity to craft “top-notch coffee creations” for Tesla’s “caffeine-dependent” personnel (about 500 are in New York) is for you, though mere mortals need not apply: “We’re Tesla, so we aren’t looking for someone ordinary.”
Or Los Angeles...

Quote:
Tesla has an opportunity in Los Angeles for a skilled, personable Barista to create top-notch coffee creations for our thirsty personnel.
We’re Tesla, so we aren’t looking for someone ordinary. We’re seeking a high-energy, innovative beverage artist to utilize their savvy and creativity in helping us introduce our new Coffee Bar. The successful candidate will possess unparalleled customer service skills, coffee expertise, and an extremely engaging personality.
Old 04-08-2018, 09:48 AM   #139
Give me a forum ...

Wow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
I wonder if they give the barristas an employee discount on solar tiles or Model X's??
No way. The fortunate barristas who are selected should feel such an honor to serve Tesla employees that they should work for free. Maybe even pay to work there.
Old 04-08-2018, 09:50 AM   #140
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
I'm having visions of Michael Keaton in Gung Ho.

Closed Thread