Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-14-2019, 08:35 PM   #2861
Moderator Emeritus

Was there an unveiling for the new Tesla Model Y today?

Edit: I see it's at 8 PM PST.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2019, 10:18 PM   #2862
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Was there an unveiling for the new Tesla Model Y today?

Edit: I see it's at 8 PM PST.
Be interesting to see the reaction at the market open. I just skimmed a bit, but what I saw doesn't really look like a crossover/SUV to me, looks a lot like the Model 3. So if that distinction is supposed to push sales, I don't see it.

-ERD50
Old 03-15-2019, 06:06 AM   #2863
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Be interesting to see the reaction at the market open. I just skimmed a bit, but what I saw doesn't really look like a crossover/SUV to me, looks a lot like the Model 3. So if that distinction is supposed to push sales, I don't see it.

-ERD50
The pre-market reaction has been pretty negative, down almost $9 or 3%. Guess we'll have to see how the stock moves during the day once the fan boys get up, maybe they'll have different reaction and drive up the price today.

TSLA Tesla Inc Stock Quote and News CNBC.png
Old 03-15-2019, 06:46 AM   #2864

The SUV is growing in popularity globally, much of that after the model 3 decision point. It's going to be 75% the same, including the chassis, so sounds like the smaller SUV models from Honda and others that were designed Car-Up.

Per Quartz:
"SUV’s share of the global auto market has risen from 22% to more than a third since 2014"
"Musk predicted the Model Y would sell more units than the Model 3 and Model S, combined."
I think he's right; this is the first time I'm remotely interested. Still the Model 3 did well last year, and that's before the price drops, so I'd guess similarly good stats for 2019 sales:
"With some 140,000 units sold in 2018, the Model 3 was the best-selling electric car in the US last year...and the fifth best-selling sedan overall. The Model 3 accounted for 20% of the 700,000 mid-priced sedans...sold in the US in 2018."
https://qz.com/1573818/tesla-launche...um=daily-brief
Old 03-15-2019, 07:38 AM   #2865

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
The SUV is growing in popularity globally, much of that after the model 3 decision point. It's going to be 75% the same, including the chassis, so sounds like the smaller SUV models from Honda and others that were designed Car-Up.

Per Quartz:
"SUV’s share of the global auto market has risen from 22% to more than a third since 2014"
"Musk predicted the Model Y would sell more units than the Model 3 and Model S, combined."
I think he's right; this is the first time I'm remotely interested. Still the Model 3 did well last year, and that's before the price drops, so I'd guess similarly good stats for 2019 sales:
"With some 140,000 units sold in 2018, the Model 3 was the best-selling electric car in the US last year...and the fifth best-selling sedan overall. The Model 3 accounted for 20% of the 700,000 mid-priced sedans...sold in the US in 2018."
https://qz.com/1573818/tesla-launche...um=daily-brief
You may be interested as a purchaser, but how about as an investor?

For me, as an investor, I'm concerned with the movement of the delivery date from first half of 2020 (which Musk just recently stated) to now being late 2020. That's a pretty big slip in delivery date in just a few weeks. Add that Musk/Tesla is consistently aggressive in their dates and typically will miss those targets, this is more like 2021. So most likely that puts Tesla into a position where there is much more competition, especially in that segment.

Then consider that, given as you noted, they Y shares much of the same platform as the Model 3, and this announcement, IMHO, could very well cannibalize the Model 3 sales, giving people cause to defer their buying decision.

And then lastly, consider that any tax subsidies are gone at the end of this year for Tesla vehicles, and then consider that their competition will enter the market with being able to offer those incentives, well that just puts further pressure on Tesla pricing to compete.

So as a purchaser, it's all "good news. But as an investor I feel there are many challenges to overcome and competition that will be crowding this space, I'm still negative on the stock given the current valuation. I've been saying that for over a year and so far, as a long term investor, I've been right to stay out of the stock. I guess it's a 50/50 chance, so far I've called heads each time and won, maybe next flip will show tails.
Old 03-15-2019, 07:53 AM   #2866

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandsherry View Post
You may be interested as a purchaser, but how about as an investor?
I had a handful of Tesla shares which I sold last year when I decided I dislike Elon enough to dump them.

I have only a small number of individual stocks, and would no longer even risk play money on Tesla.
Old 03-15-2019, 08:07 AM   #2867
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
TSLA has always been a speculation, priced to perfection. By 2020, we will know the outcome.
Old 03-15-2019, 08:17 AM   #2868

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
TSLA has always been a speculation, priced to perfection. By 2020, we will know the outcome.
I'd say to perfection and then a premium on top of that. However, as an investor, you betting on the over or under?
Old 03-15-2019, 10:45 AM   #2869

Perhaps more "good news"....

The Tesla Network Is Dead

Quote:
Summary

-On March 6, Tesla removed all reference to the Tesla Network from its website.

-The Tesla Network is meant to be an autonomous car service that would eventually compete with Uber and Lyft in the ride-sharing space.

-Tesla has made big promises about its autonomous driving program, but it appears to be falling ever farther behind the leaders in the technology.

-Tesla's valuation is based in part on future mobility-as-a-service revenues. These are unlikely to materialize anytime soon, if ever.

-As analysts come to realize that the Tesla Network is not arriving soon (or perhaps ever), they will have to revise their price targets. Expect negative pressure on the stock.
Old 03-15-2019, 12:07 PM   #2870

I was not impressed with that model Y debut. Then again, I've never been impressed with literally ALL of the Apple product debut's...difference being, I own APPL, I don't THINK I own TSLA, gotta double check my ETF and Index funds.

You can only offer the same exact looking car for so long. It looks like a mix of a dodge neon and a chevy traverse. EEEK. I'll keep my full frame trucks.

Is this the end of the line for Elon? *No pun intended

I am excited with what he's done with the Rockets though.
Old 03-15-2019, 12:28 PM   #2871
Moderator Emeritus

Model Y Letdown

Kind of a letdown as I was expecting something like a Rav4 in size and shape. Maybe a Rav4 Hybrid is a better solution. Hey, Toyota is selling them like crazy these days.
Old 03-15-2019, 12:38 PM   #2872
Give me a forum ...

My friend just ordered a model Y over the internet for delivery in 2020.
Old 03-15-2019, 12:56 PM   #2873

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
Were they sober? Different strokes..
Old 03-15-2019, 01:04 PM   #2874
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
Robby, there is still time for you to step up and place an order too!
Old 03-15-2019, 01:31 PM   #2875
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgtest View Post
I was not impressed with that model Y debut. Then again, I've never been impressed with literally ALL of the Apple product debut's...difference being, I own APPL, I don't THINK I own TSLA, gotta double check my ETF and Index funds.

You can only offer the same exact looking car for so long. It looks like a mix of a dodge neon and a chevy traverse. EEEK. I'll keep my full frame trucks.

Is this the end of the line for Elon? *No pun intended

I would bet that you own a fund that has it.... heck one of my funds has it in the top 10 holding!!! I think it is the extended blah blah fund... market minus S&P 500 IIRC...
Model Y deposits
Old 03-15-2019, 02:31 PM   #2876

Model Y deposits

So, if someone places a deposit for a model Y, does it go into an escrow account, or would be lost if TSLA went into BK.

Asking for a friend
Old 03-15-2019, 02:34 PM   #2877

Quote:
The pre-market reaction has been pretty negative, down almost $9 or 3%. Guess we'll have to see how the stock moves during the day once the fan boys get up, maybe they'll have different reaction and drive up the price today.

Attachment 31002
Welp, looks like despite an up day in the market Tesla was down 5% and on volume that's almost double the daily average, so the Model Y news wasn't taken as positive news.

Screenshot_20190315-162822__01.jpeg
Old 03-15-2019, 02:54 PM   #2878
Give me a forum ...

Model Y looks suspiciously like a model 3 with a 1" lift kit.
Old 03-15-2019, 06:08 PM   #2879

Another opinion on where stock is heading.

Quote:
Tamberrino’s 12-month price target is $210, representing a 25 percent drop from current levels. Tesla shares fell 0.2 percent in premarket trading Wednesday to $282.70.
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/03/13/gold...aboolainternal

And then there is ARK Invest who has $4,000 per share target

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2019/02/20/...or-shareholder

For me, I'll bet on the under.
Old 03-15-2019, 07:35 PM   #2880
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgtest View Post
I was not impressed with that model Y debut. ....

You can only offer the same exact looking car for so long.

Agree on all of the above. I only skimmed the presentation later last night, an hour or more of Tesla history, and 7 minutes on the 'next big thing", the thing some here are saying is going to be so important to Tesla's future, the Model Y (look back at posts like #2720.) ?

I'll watch again when I have time, but he sure didn't seem to convey much enthusiasm, or have a lot of exciting info. The whole presentation seemed weak (being polite).

Maybe focusing on Tesla's past, rather than the future is really saying something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Kind of a letdown as I was expecting something like a Rav4 in size and shape. Maybe a Rav4 Hybrid is a better solution. Hey, Toyota is selling them like crazy these days.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
Model Y looks suspiciously like a model 3 with a 1" lift kit.
I'd love to see the profiles superimposed, from what I saw there just wasn't much difference.

And going up in price is kinda against the plan. Why not introduce the SUV/crossover at the higher price first, allowing more time to improve costs for a profitable $35,000 model 3?

Quote:
Welp, looks like despite an up day in the market Tesla was down 5% and on volume that's almost double the daily average, so the Model Y news wasn't taken as positive news.

Attachment 31005
Model Y announcement not looking so great...

Unless something changes from what I see, I feel TSLA is getting deeper into trouble.

-ERD50
Closed Thread