Thoughts on what to do with $50k?

injera

Dryer sheet wannabe
My wife, my 2.5 son & I moved out of NYC to NJ and bought a house last summer. We had some cash left over after the purchase and have been able to sock away about $2k each month since we've gone from a nanny to daycare.

We're now sitting on a little over $50k in an Capital One checking account getting a whole 0.5% interest rate. Obviously we can do better.

That said, we're expecting a second child later this year and will need the money with my wife taking maternity leave and wanting to have a nanny for the first year or so. As such, I dont want to put this anywhere too risky and risk losing a chunk of this as I expect we will need a lot of it for the 2nd half of 2017 and all of 2018.

Thoughts on a good strategy? Short term bond funds? Half in the mutual fund world and half in cash? cds? Something else.

you can easily double that return by moving the cash to an online checking or savings account at Synchrony or Ally.
I don;t know what other cash reserves you have, of course, but it sounds like you may need the ability to access the money fairly quickly, so I would probably stick with cash-type investments.

For a slight principal risk, you might want to consider VFSUX (Vanguard short term investment grade, admiral class): https://personal.vanguard.com/us/funds/snapshot?FundId=0539&FundIntExt=INT#tab=0

yields 1.98% right now; 2016 price range was 10.58 to 10.80. Good return and not very likely to lose money considering the yield--but you could.

(This, along with checking account, constitutes our "cash.")

You're probably talking about a difference of a couple of hundred dollars no matter what "cash-type" investment you choose. I would opt for absolute security since you know you need the money in the immediate future, and stick that in a savings account with a better yield than 0.5%. Maybe one of the banks already suggested. I don't think I'd worry about CDs which lock the money up or short term bonds. JMO.

you can easily double that return by moving the cash to an online checking or savings account at Synchrony or Ally.

+1

You can even stay right at Capital One and get 1.00% from their 360 Money Market, minimum balance 10,000.

Most of our cash we plan to spend within a year is in high yield savings accounts yielding around 1%. For cash we don't expect to touch in a year - some of that is in 1year+ CDs paying higher rates, and some in short-term bond funds.

Back
Top Bottom