Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-19-2019, 08:29 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
False news, according to yeti. Yeti supports US Constitution and 2nd amendment
https://www.yeti.com/en_US/press/off...from-yeti.html
I don't think that's false news actually. While it may be true that yeti supports the 2nd ammendment and US constitution, I know a lot of people personally who have vowed never to buy another yeti product. Whether or not they stick to that I don't know, but I've heard local folks say it. Personally I'm too cheap to buy their stuff.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2019, 12:34 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Personally I would not touch Yeti, but that is on the assumption they have not branched out very far from coolers, mugs, etc. It is my impression they are more a lifestyle brand than having any novel technology. Even assuming they make the greatest cooler and travel mug ever the market is not that big. It is not like shoes or clothing that wear out or where styles change and need to be bought somewhat frequently. I used a 15 year old Thermos today and it worked great.
triangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 05:27 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
Yep. I have a soft cooler and a 16oz mug from them. The mug I take on the golf course and it keeps my ice water nice a cool on a hot day. My nephew gave me the Yeti version and it looks exactly the same. Both performs the same.
Dawg52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 07:10 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugeauxgirl View Post
I don't think that's false news actually. While it may be true that yeti supports the 2nd ammendment and US constitution, I know a lot of people personally who have vowed never to buy another yeti product. Whether or not they stick to that I don't know, but I've heard local folks say it. Personally I'm too cheap to buy their stuff.
Yes, we are too cheap, also. In our home, not one Yeti product. If I went on excursions or kids' soccer tournaments, I would likely see Yeti products in use, though.

Because the controversy is about a year old, I read a few news stories, to recall how this started. IMO, there is nothing to it, although certain group certainly got more airtime because of it.

About the statement which I tagged as false news, I now see that one could focus on the first half of sentence, essentially being, there are people who will not buy the product. That is certainly true, but I'd add that a greater number of consumers are buying the product, as the earnings growth is way up. Focusing on the second part of quoted sentence, it is false statement to say that Yeti lacks support for the 2nd Amendment.

I wouldn't buy the stock, but would accept a gift of a travel mug!
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 08:07 AM   #25

my big coleman I bought on sale for less than 60 bucks. Works great for my purposes. The longest I need a cooler for is 4-5 days over a long 4th of July holiday on the beach. We load it up with ice on day one and on day 4 stuff is still cold. I have spend less that $300 in my whole life of these types of products. Small market and a flash in the pan (Yeti). Would not buy the product nor the stock.

" People say I'm lazy, dreaming my life away Well, they give me all kinds of advice designed to enlighten me When I tell them that I'm doing fine watching shadows on the wall "Don't you miss the big time, boy. You're no longer on the ball" -John Lennon-
Bigdawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 11:58 PM   #26
Dryer sheet aficionado

Yeti has done a great job of marketing their brand and their expensive product, and their customers are paying for it. Their lower priced competition has really stepped up their game too, including Coleman, Igloo and Ozark (Walmart). I think they timed their public offering based on slowing sales due to "heated" competition (pun intended). As someone said, the moat is small, not much of a barrier and not much tech either. I'm more of a Big5 type and not really bothered if my ice only last 2 or 3 days, especially this time of year.

[mod edit]
DSC800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 04:15 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Yeti products used to be "status symbols" when I lived in the south. I have a cup (which does an excellent job of keeping beverages cold) and a cooler. I am generally happy with their overpriced products (happy enough to take both the cup and cooler with me when I moved overseas). But as far as the stock goes, I would not touch it. There are plenty of competitors making products that are just as good or better. There are even YouTube videos showing that Yeti coolers don't perform any better than many other brands. So it is all marketing.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 10:35 AM   #28
Administrator

[mod hat on] There’s been some discussion on Yeti stock and Second Amendment issues. To avoid the risk of drifting into a thread on personal views or advocacy, let’s please put the Second Amendment discussion behind us and move back to Yeti. [mod hat off]
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 10:49 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Yeti? Pfft. We have the Ozark Trails and Rtic versions and guess what? Work just as well and cost a WHOLE lot less. BUT...Rtic and Ozark Trails doesn't come with a sticker you can put on your car/truck windshield.

Old 03-24-2019, 11:00 AM   #30
Full time employment: Posting here.

Someone I know recently bought a Chanel purse for his girlfriend. I thought he was a victim of superb marketing to pay $6000 for a purse. Apparently there is no shortage of victims since Chanel has been around for almost 140 years and they are a big hit with the Asian crowd (his girlfriend is Asian). I suspect Yet's recent expansion into Japan will help sustain sales growth, a country the CEO describes as ""another premium-performance, design-driven market that recognizes and values brands."

Translation: They will pay ridiculous prices for a name.
Old 03-25-2019, 01:22 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
Yeti? Pfft. We have the Ozark Trails and Rtic versions and guess what? Work just as well and cost a WHOLE lot less. BUT...Rtic and Ozark Trails doesn't come with a sticker you can put on your car/truck windshield.
That's a pretty good experiment. The tests should be run several times, so the sample size is larger. Still, it shows there is little difference in the how cold how hot characteristics.

One thing I wonder about, is how well the tumblers will age. One concern would be cleanliness, another is durability. You'd have to purchase all three and test under similar circumstances. It looks like the RTIC would fit better in more cup holders. The acid test would be the top, and how well that holds up in the dishwasher, and after a few drops on cement.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 01:55 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
That's a pretty good experiment. The tests should be run several times, so the sample size is larger. Still, it shows there is little difference in the how cold how hot characteristics.

One thing I wonder about, is how well the tumblers will age. One concern would be cleanliness, another is durability. You'd have to purchase all three and test under similar circumstances. It looks like the RTIC would fit better in more cup holders. The acid test would be the top, and how well that holds up in the dishwasher, and after a few drops on cement.
My DW has an Rtic and I have an Ozark Trail version. We have had both of them for more than 3 years and use them on a daily basis. They pretty much go everywhere with us and look like they are brand new. We haven't washed them in the dishwasher, so that could add to the longevity. They are washed out every night w/ Dawn and we have yet to get sick, so I suppose they are clean enough.
Old 03-26-2019, 08:25 AM   #33

some of yeti competitor products are built in the same factory Yeti used in China. Yeti made mistake not getting chinese factory to sign off on not making competitor products. While they may have their own production now... Besides the sticker, Yeti doesn't appear to have much of a Moat. Yeti released one of their best distributors for discounting the product...yes margins are good at Yeti.