Join Early Retirement Today

Thoughts on YETI
Old 03-13-2019, 08:09 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Thoughts on YETI

Huge brand and marketing campaign has really enabled growth in this company....IPOed back in oct 2018. Sitting around $26-27/share right now.

When Facebook ipoed then went down to the high teens, most analyst were very negative. FB is over $180/share now in less than 6 years.

So, YETI?

moneymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2019, 06:49 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

YETI products must appeal to someone, that's all I seem to see in the stores anymore. They haven't justified their cost to me, i'm not the person who needs hot coffee 8 hours later, or to keep ice for a week in the outback.

ckelly78z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 06:55 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Yeti might stick around like Under Armor. But their products benefit mostly from branding/marketing. They are decent quality but there isn’t a deep moat between them and their competition. I think it more likely yeti is a fad name and most of their growth is done.
Old 03-14-2019, 07:03 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooch96 View Post
Yeti might stick around like Under Armor. But their products benefit mostly from branding/marketing. They are decent quality but there isnít a deep moat between them and their competition. I think it more likely yeti is a fad name and most of their growth is done.
I think most of the popularity had been driven by word of mouth. It is viewed by hunters fishermen and people in warmer climates as far better than competitive products.

For me it is not especially compelling as I am not trying to keep ice chests cold for several days, etc.
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 09:05 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

It' likely to go up, unless it goes down. Random walks are like that.
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 09:08 AM   #6

Yeti? In a word....overpriced. You can buy very comparable products for much much less.
Old 03-14-2019, 09:12 AM   #7
Administrator

My DD gave me a Yeti cup as gift and I love it. Itís the best cup Iíve used for morning coffee.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 09:49 AM   #8

I got one a couple of years ago and love it. Gave a cooler cup to my camping buddies and they rave about it. Whether that means the stock will rocket up remains to be seen. There have been many products that "I" personally loved that went nowhere.
Old 03-14-2019, 10:01 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

I think the jump in Feb makes it less attractive. I won't buy it, but that's me.
Old 03-14-2019, 10:32 AM   #10

Our grandkids got Yeti water bottles for Christmas. Knowing that they are expensive I asked if they weren't afraid someone would steal them? They responded that they weren't worried about that since "everyone" in the high school already has one. Not sure if this is more of a reflection on the product or on the affluence of our community.
misanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 11:04 AM   #11

The thing is, all the professional players in the market already know all this stuff and more. So it is already baked into the stock price.

With 10,000 mutual funds investing in roughly 3600 US stocks, there is no stock price and no company that has not been studied by many stock-pickers.
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 11:13 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
My DD gave me a Yeti cup as gift and I love it. Itís the best cup Iíve used for morning coffee.
We just discovered the yeti cups last fall. That's our go to gift for family/friends now. We love them and will likely buy travel mugs as well.

One caveat, after about 5 months of every other day use, the plastic coating they use is starting to chip off. A big disappointment given the price.
tb001 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 01:13 PM   #13
Dryer sheet aficionado

Love my Yetis, I have 30 oz, 20 oz, coffee mug and wine tumbler. I received most of these as gifts from my kids. Really keeps stuff hot and/or cold. Washes well in dishwasher and have seen no wear and tear on them. I also give them as gifts.
becca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 02:15 PM   #14

Yeti, Under Armour, Duluth Trading, LL Bean et al.... One can always find good products with great marketing that will command exceptional margins; for a while.

I prefer to troll through Bass Pro Shops looking for Red Head products on sale. Probably not as leading edge as the aforementioned, but good enough for me. Stock valuation? As an index investor, I suspect I own most of the above somewhere.
Old 03-19-2019, 02:19 PM   #15
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tb001 View Post
One caveat, after about 5 months of every other day use, the plastic coating they use is starting to chip off. A big disappointment given the price.
Thanks for the warning - Iíll be on the lookout. So far so good, just under 3 months of daily use.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 02:30 PM   #16

Where's room for expansion? You can only sell so many coffee cups and thermoses and stuff, right!?
Old 03-19-2019, 02:35 PM   #17
Dryer sheet wannabe

Yeti has lost a large following of outdoorsman not so long ago due to the lack of support for the 2nd amendment.

the "wanna be's" think they have to have a Yeti
GNXGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 04:06 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtn View Post
Yeti? In a word....overpriced. You can buy very comparable products for much much less.
+1

Lets face it a $30+ travel mug or a $250 cooler that holds little more than a six pack.... Only by having a decades long branding can those price points survive for long. Eventually the fickle masses will move on.
BeachOrCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 06:47 PM   #19

Anybody heard of Rtic products?
https://www.houstonchronicle.com/bus...r-10820942.php
Old 03-19-2019, 08:20 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNXGuy View Post
Yeti has lost a large following of outdoorsman not so long ago due to the lack of support for the 2nd amendment.
False news, according to yeti. Yeti supports US Constitution and 2nd amendment
https://www.yeti.com/en_US/press/off...from-yeti.html

target2019 is online now   Reply With Quote