Join Early Retirement Today

Time to buy Coke? COKE
Old 07-16-2008, 08:24 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Time to buy Coke? COKE

It looks really beaten down just now.
Is it time to start poking around in the dumpster?
Hal3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2008, 08:33 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Do you mean KO? It has been beaten down and the yield on it has reached 3% so it is reasonably attractive for the yield alone. 3 years ago, their EPS was $2, now it is $2.59, which averages to about a 9% YoY Earnings growth, which for a dividend-yielding stock make the 19.5 P/E average. In other words, I don't expect it to move much, or ever command a much higher P/E as the growth isn't incredible in this company, but it does have a good yield and has proven to consistently post profits, as opposed to many more volatile companies.
CitricAcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 08:36 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

never saw the point of using illegal drugs since most prescription drugs are pretty much the same thing and are almost free
al_bundy is offline   Reply With Quote
I was looking at COKE but it's not what I thought.
Old 07-16-2008, 08:40 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

I was looking at COKE but it's not what I thought.

COKE
COCA COLA BOTTLING CL CM

It looks like I was looking at just the bottling part of the business.

Interesting distinction.
Old 07-16-2008, 08:42 AM   #5

Yea, all KO actually does, if I understand it correctly is make the different syrups and then send it off the the various bottling companies that distribute, bottle, carbonate, etc. etc., but don't exactly know.
If I don't understand it I don't invest.
Old 07-16-2008, 08:46 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal3 View Post
COKE
COCA COLA BOTTLING CL CM

It looks like I was looking at just the bottling part of the business.

Interesting distinction.

Next topic, please.
Old 07-16-2008, 09:02 AM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

read a book a few years back about how some companies transformed their business for greater profits. Coke and their transformation into just selling syrup was one of the examples.

the supermarket shelfspace is just for branding, all the profits are in the syrup
al_bundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 09:27 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

We have a local beer called Shiner. They tried to compete with the low priced beers like Keystone and nearly went out of business.

They just raised the price and compared the beer to Heineken or Beck's only cheaper.

Same beer.

Sales up. Profits way up.

From their website:

Pricing

How is Shiner more expensive than others? It's not an import; it's a domestic beer.
Sounds like they're using a "two-tiered" pricing system; i.e., (1) domestic and (2) imported. Shiner beer actually falls into a third tier between the two, which is "specialty beer." Our beer costs more because of the high quality of ingredients and our brewing process: we handcraft each and every brew. By law, the retail account has 100% control over pricing.

Another interesting "transforming for profits" tale.

Beer syrup, anyone?
Old 07-18-2008, 08:28 AM   #9

Can't make beer syrup, wouldn't be any good. Well, some homebrewers DO use "beer syrup" which is just malt extract sometimes hopped which they use to make the beer. So, the beer syrup idea is kind of already in use.