Join Early Retirement Today

Time to Invest in Commodities, Foreign Funds?
Old 08-11-2015, 11:23 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Time to Invest in Commodities, Foreign Funds?

This may not be in the mainstream of the forum, but I was curious whether anyone was taking advantage of the rather high U.S. dollar to invest in commodities, foreign funds, or anything else that appears likely to rise if the U.S. dollar value declines going forward.

I confess I'm tempted to move some money into Canadian or other funds. However, the efficient market theory holds me back.

The usual logic of not giving into trends is that a market consensus brought us to this point, and it cannot be obvious where the currency exchange, or stock market is headed next.

However, I see the U.S. dollar at high levels and conclude that some entity in the U.S. must want the value to fall for export, among other, purposes.

Thoughts?
lawman3966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2015, 11:49 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

What commodities are you referring to? And what investment vehicles?

I worked in Big Oil for decades and think we are going to have a crude oil supply problem worldwide, worse than now. There will be a price bottom, and supply/demand will settle it, but how to play it now?

There may be less risk in other sectors at the moment like health care? financials? or just the SPY.
Old 08-11-2015, 11:50 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

MPT would have us diversified across both domestic and international stocks and bonds. Are you asking about over weighting the international portion? Some would use commodities to add to diversification in small amounts due to its typical correlation characteristics. Are you asking about increasing this portion?

Honestly I don't know what to do beyond MPT. I was not expecting China's currency move last night. I was thinking that there was some re-positioning that would help, but I need to digest this new event. I'm not sure commodities are at the end of their fall. It may be that world growth could be slowing again.

flip a coin?
bingybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 01:00 PM   #4

I've rebalanced this year to boost non-US holdings.
GrayHare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 01:05 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

I recently bought some shares of EMHY (ishares emerging markets high yield bond etf) and IFAS (ishares asia developed reits etf).
ESRwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 03:17 PM   #6

I've certainly been rebalancing in the direction of the OP.

Even if markets were efficient, there are many different investor priorities out there. The market will just average them all together. So the market is likely to look at least a little inefficient the way you see it.
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 03:28 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm thinking about moving some cash to tgldx
Old 08-11-2015, 04:43 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
I'm thinking about staying the course.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 06:50 PM   #9

As I put money to work each month, I adjust the purchase mix based on variations in AA...so I'm automatically increases my foreign purchases.

I don't have commodities in my AA...so despite my temptation to explore and play in that arena, I'm currently not doing so. I also have this belief that oil is in the midst of a long term, revolutionary change...so I have no rightful clue where the bottom is...
Old 08-12-2015, 11:47 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I'm sure someone will "guess" correctly and make money on the right moves. However, I tend to think "if it were that easy, everyone would be doing it." But, as always, YMMV.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 12:04 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I try not to catch falling knives...you can get hurt pretty bad.
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 02:33 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

If one asks these questions I would expect a net answer to be equivalent to the current market consensus. Thus one is left sorting for their favorite answer.

I do find that small cap international is a better way to go then large cap international. Less correlated with US. I use VINEX.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 03:45 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
I'm thinking about moving some cash to tgldx

Too late for me. I just moved mine to dwomg...

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
UpAnchor is offline   Reply With Quote