Join Early Retirement Today

USAA funds vs Vanguard/T. Rowe Price
Old 03-23-2010, 08:46 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

USAA funds vs Vanguard/T. Rowe Price

Just wondering about people's experiences with USAA vs. Vanguard/T Rowe in terms of satisfaction/expense ratios, fee etc.

I just became eligible to invest in USAA due to my father's military service and am thinking about the USAA funds for retirement (ie: target funds), but they don't seem to have a long history.

Looks like USAA has very low expense numbers and pretty good performance for a bunch of their funds overall in the past decade.

My investments goals are possible short term bonds (ie: bond index fund perhaps) in addition to riskier long term equities for my retirement.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2010, 11:27 AM   #2

USAA is a wonderful company, but for the most part I'm not a big fan of their mutual funds. The fees are simply too high; most of their funds (except the indexes) are 1% or higher.

One exception is for their precious metals fund, USAGX. The expense ratio is fairly high (but about average for the universe of *actively managed* funds) but it has a very long term record of being one of the best precious metals funds on the planet. The manager has been there since 1994 and as long as he's there I have confidence in this fund for some of my natural resources investing.

"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 11:34 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
USAA is a wonderful company, but for the most part I'm not a big fan of their mutual funds. The fees are simply too high; most of their funds (except the indexes) are 1% or higher..
+1. USAA is a very good insurance company and I like the bank a lot, but their mutual funds are just not competitive, cost-wise, with Vanguard.
Old 03-23-2010, 05:29 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I had all of my MF investments with USAA for many years until about 10 years ago. I found Vanguard, did some reading/comparing, and now I have no MFs @ USAA. If low expense ratio is important to you, Vanguard is the way to go.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 05:49 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

As others have said, Vanguard and others are superior to USAA funds. Pick one asset class and do some comparisons in Yahoo finance or other sites. When I moved my IRA and SEP to Vanguard, I was able to cut expenses more than 50%. Over a long period expenses matter.
Old 03-24-2010, 07:14 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkens21 View Post
Just wondering about people's experiences with USAA vs. Vanguard/T Rowe in terms of satisfaction/expense ratios, fee etc.
As a mutual fund company, USAA is a wonderful insurer.

I think they started their banking, brokerage, & mutual-fund businesses out of a demand to be a one-stop military supporter. They probably also envied the business model of the old USPA&IRA ("Hey, if FirstCommand can make money at it, then anyone can do it!"). However I think it just distracts from their core job of providing insurance, and today I think connectivity makes it easy to go with the best provider for each area.

We started our kid's Roth IRA with T.Rowe Price because they're apparently the only fund company in the world that will custody for a minor custodian. However their expense ratios are way higher than Vanguard & Fidelity, so as soon as she turns 18 she's going to move the IRA over to Fidelity for its lower ERs and its family account-consolidation privileges.

My impression of Vanguard is that their complainants are much more vocal than their satisfied customers. The vast majority are probably happy but have nothing to say.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 08:01 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

actually that precious metals fund - USAGX - intrigues me.

thanks for the opinions