Join Early Retirement Today

Usually don't buy individual stocks, these two are worth a look for Income
Old 09-25-2015, 06:40 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Usually don't buy individual stocks, these two are worth a look for Income

HI, these were recommended to me and of course when I bought them several months they immediately headed down, so I just bought more to lower average cost. One is in the black, other still minor red.

You may know: GOV - owns lots of property which it rents to only the fed government - i think dividend & yield = 10.47%. Still priced nice.

Second, WTR, does water purification for municipalities, etc., Price still well in range and dividend & yield = 2.75%

Just fyi, take a look and you decide (of course) and any comments or similar better stocks for income & safety reco's, thanks too!

Best,

RJL
rjohnla is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2015, 07:16 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

I don't think I would buy individual stocks as a means to achieve safety. Stocks that have their price propped up by high dividends are likely to decline when interest rates go up.
prudent_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 07:55 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

You might want to read this article on GOV. I don't agree with everything Brad Thomas writes but he does specialize in REIT investments and educates his readers.

Investing In One Sucker Yield REIT Can Sink The Fleet - Government Properties Income Trust (NYSE:GOV) | Seeking Alpha
Old 09-26-2015, 06:57 AM   #4

Link to full article?
Totoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 08:06 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimnjana View Post
You might want to read this article on GOV. I don't agree with everything Brad Thomas writes but he does specialize in REIT investments and educates his readers.

Investing In One Sucker Yield REIT Can Sink The Fleet - Government Properties Income Trust (NYSE:GOV) | Seeking Alpha
Hi, read this article thanks. Yes, GOV did buy SIR (I knew they bought something, but not what, shame on me). So not the pure 'government landlord play; they used to be. I think it in the travel REIT in vacation travel, that makes me less than comfortable.

For what it's worth, GOV had a holding company with very similar name and that was bought out buy GOV at same time, saw that as good. Similar situation is ref. in article you posted: HPT/TA, is set-up GOV had before "(NYSE:HPT) appeared to operating a self-serving sale/leaseback platform as a means to tap into high-yielding off-balance assets owned by TravelCenters of America (NYSE:TA).
Old 09-26-2015, 01:49 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totoro View Post
Link to full article?
think you have to join seeking alpha to read full article. its free, lots of wanna be stock analysts and a few very good ones.
Old 09-27-2015, 09:48 AM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimnjana View Post
think you have to join seeking alpha to read full article. its free, lots of wanna be stock analysts and a few very good ones.

It's a decent site.
I would read Brad Thomas for REITs, and Chuck Carnevale for dividend growth and company analysis.
You need a free account sign up.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 10:58 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

1)Thanks for reco on Seeking Alpha, signed up, looks good. And 2) will look for articles by Brad & Chuck.
Best, RJL