Join Early Retirement Today

Utility Stocks
Old 11-06-2007, 08:47 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Utility Stocks

I have not seen anyone post anything recently on Utility stocks. I heard on MSNBC this would be a good dividend play such as ED? I don't know how oil prices would effect this, oil being 95.79 as I write this.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2007, 12:18 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by James5v View Post
I have not seen anyone post anything recently on Utility stocks. I heard on MSNBC this would be a good dividend play such as ED? I don't know how oil prices would effect this, oil being 95.79 as I write this.
Utility stocks are like most areas a tricky field. Also, to me at least most electricity generating utilities don't seem especially cheap right now. There was a time when the average retired small business person or doctor or dentist or lawyer or farmer would own a good slug of utilities, especially her local gas and electric company. They never went out of business, rarely if ever cut a dividend, in fact usually increased them steadily.

Under today’s conditions I would look more at regional banks (KRE) for reasonable and growing income. But you seem like someone who perhaps should stick with a very straightforward index allocation plus some bond funds or a bond ladder.

Ha

Old 11-06-2007, 12:36 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks for the information.
Old 11-06-2007, 02:33 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Utilities have done exceptionally well the last couple of years. The big problem that you have to evaluate with utilities is the same as it has always been, government regulation. From what I understand (not my area of coverage) a few years back many utilities struck a deal with regulating bodies to hold rates low for X # of years and then they could float their rate based on the market and other utilities could also compete. This deal should have worked out famously for low cost producers. But places where low cost producers are based are reneging when faced with large increases to market based prices.
Old 11-06-2007, 05:19 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Bought a small boatload of Con Ed back when my Mergent's Handbook of Dividend Achiever's had them paying a 'good' div AND showing relatively high ten div growth for a ute.

They proceeded to underperform for the next ten years. Will probably buy a small amount more and give them another chance(7 more years) since their stats look so sh##ty! Mainly cause with div.'s reinvested my yield is over 10% - AND I would have to admit to a bad investment.

My Aqua America(WTR) and Excelon(EXC) did great cap gain wise - but the yield sucks - the Norwegian widow won't touch em at this price. I probably won't sell either.

:confused: Decisions decisions.

heh heh heh - I'm trying to get up some lust to add to my BAC, Bank of America.
Old 11-13-2007, 01:40 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

thinking of dumping some more in to XEL and other utes...since I've lately started to wonder about just how safe my money market funds and cds are...as long as the lights and heat stay on I don't think the money will melt down....