Join Early Retirement Today

Vanguard Dividend Growth ETF
Old 03-16-2014, 01:42 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Vanguard Dividend Growth ETF

I purchased this last year and have been disappointed in its performance vs SP 500 or even O. My goal was to invest in quality stocks (aka those who grow their dividends) and harvest dividends.

Any thoughts, suggestions?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2014, 01:56 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post
I purchased this last year and have been disappointed in its performance vs SP 500 or even O. My goal was to invest in quality stocks (aka those who grow their dividends) and harvest dividends.

Any thoughts, suggestions?
How has this fund done vs its large value benchmark? How has it done vs the SP 500 in other time periods?

Looking at this funds performance vs the SP 500 on a single year comparison isn't very meaningful Brat.

Why did you decide to bet that a div growth fund would outperform the SP 500, on a total return basis, going forward? Why do you think it should have outperformed specifically last year?

I prefer to own individual stocks for the div growth portion of my FIRE portfolio. The equity portion of my FIRE portfolio is dominated by Vanguard TSM. About 10% is individual high div paying equities most of which are buy and hold but a couple are speculative.

Old 03-16-2014, 01:59 PM   #3
gone traveling

I assume you are talking about VIG. Compare it over lifetime of the fund 2006-present
and it beats S&P 500. It less volatile then S&P in both directions.
Old 03-16-2014, 02:44 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Here is a plot of the total returns of VIG, VFINX and VWINX since 2006, when VIG started:

VIG is a little better than VFINX over this time. I simply do not like the S&P 500. I do not trust large cap stocks as a single class. I also own VIG and I will keep it as a surrogate for the S&P 500. (I also have Wellesley--thanks, Uncle Mick --but I am watching for what will happen when bond rates rise.)
Attached Images
File Type: png VIG VFINX VWINX.PNG (18.3 KB, 28 views)
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 02:06 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

The more I look about Vanguard Windsor II looks better than Vanguard Dividend Appreciation. This will be in a Roth which, God willing, has 15 years to grow.

DH is 76.