Join Early Retirement Today

Vanguard Help
Old 05-10-2012, 07:46 PM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

Vanguard Help

My wife and I are about to open 2012 Roth IRA's at Vangard. This is our first investments at Vangard. We have other investments at TRP. I am looking for advice on which funds to use for this purpose. We are 59 and both still working. We have other investments and are looking at retiring in a few years around 62. Any thoughts?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2012, 07:57 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

A lot of folks might say,
1. What's your desired asset allocation?
2. What does the rest of your portfolio look like?
3. What's missing in your 401(k)s and your plan that you need to fill in with investments in Roths?
4. What is high fee in your current assets that you could shift to low-fee at Vanguard in your Roths?

Sorry, if that's a non-answer, but without more info, you might get answers all over the place since vanguard has lots of good funds that are quite different from each other.

Old 05-10-2012, 08:57 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

I agree with LOL, but, if you want to get going and don't know what to do, I'd suggest starting with the Vanguard total stock index fund. Now.......if you haven't, get some help,depending on the size of your account, Vanguard may help and you can get a lot of good advice just by perusing their web pages. Good Luck.
Old 05-11-2012, 05:16 AM   #4

Vanguard's two actively managed funds, Wellington and Wellesley, are also popular.
Old 05-11-2012, 09:13 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Vanguard's two actively managed funds, Wellington and Wellesley, are also popular.
+1. If you want a no fuss, hands off place to park the money, these are two of the best choices. Even folks with more knowledge of asset allocation and asset classes/funds often don't get better results, and go back to Wellington and Wellesley.

And here's another simple viable option https://personal.vanguard.com/us/fun...RetirementList

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 09:34 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
+1 and the Star fund is also a good couch potato choice - a balanced fund (about 60 stock/40 fixed) that is a composite of a number of Vanguard active and index funds.
Old 05-11-2012, 03:53 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I use STAR (VGSTX) as a core holding in my portfolio. The expenses are .34 which is a little higher than 100% index, but still pretty cheap. STAR is a very diversified mutual fund, covering lots of asset classes. I just add some short-term bonds or dividend paying stocks to fill in my asset allocation.
Old 05-11-2012, 05:08 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski

+1 and the Star fund is also a good couch potato choice - a balanced fund (about 60 stock/40 fixed) that is a composite of a number of Vanguard active and index funds.
I use total stock as my monthly contribution saving fund, and I use Star as my yearly Roth 5k dump in April. I like the diversification of the fund, too. However, I don't remember why I actually chose it over either of the Wells. And if I did, it probably wasn't a good reason anyway, but Im sticking with it. I just deposit it and forget about it.
Old 05-11-2012, 09:26 PM   #9
Dryer sheet aficionado

Vangard Help

Thanks for the replies. I don't have much of an understanding for the Vangard Funds . I've been mostly in TRP. Sounds like any of the suggested funds would suit my needs. Are there any more that anyone else is using that are relatively safe?
Thanks
Old 05-12-2012, 08:06 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allegany View Post
Thanks for the replies. I don't have much of an understanding for the Vangard Funds . I've been mostly in TRP. Sounds like any of the suggested funds would suit my needs. Are there any more that anyone else is using that are relatively safe?
Thanks
If you look at individual Vanguard funds, they show a "risk potential" rating for each fund like the example below. There's also a link right below the graphic with further explanation. You have to decide what level of risk you can live with knowing that in the long run higher returns come with higher risk or volatility. If you're hoping we can tell you what fund will provide high returns and low risk, I don't think anyone will be able to help.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Vanguard Help
Old 05-12-2012, 09:02 AM   #11
Dryer sheet aficionado

Vanguard Help

Thanks for your input. I signed up for VWINX. Looks like it will be good for me. Thanks everyone
Old 05-15-2012, 01:41 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allegany View Post
Thanks for your input. I signed up for VWINX. Looks like it will be good for me. Thanks everyone
Congratulations on a good choice.
Old 05-17-2012, 07:16 PM   #13
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Don't rush in but VG can provide low cost entry into other fund families such as PCRIX