Join Early Retirement Today

Vanguard hosed today
Old 08-24-2015, 09:51 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Vanguard hosed today

Not sure if anyone else had issues with Vanguard this morning... tried to pick up Apple at $94 and it just sat and spun.. had issues logging in and it was slow processing too..

Never tried to trade Vanguard on busy days like this, not sure if this is typical as I usually do day trades in Tradeking, but didn't have the free cash. Is this typical?

Anyone pick up anything good this morning or everyone sitting on the sidelines

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Vanguard hosed today
Old 08-24-2015, 09:53 AM   #2
gone traveling

Vanguard hosed today

Had issues with other well known online broker. Market volume and funny open. Not much the little guy can do.

Bought more VTI which is my long term hold for decade type of holding.

Old 08-24-2015, 10:00 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I had issues when I first tried logged on, but was able to finally get on. I am not trading, so can't speak to that performance (or lack thereof).
Old 08-24-2015, 10:18 AM   #4

Just completed two small orders on Fidelity--WY and IYF No issues. They were limit orders at the edge of current bid values. They executed quickly.
Nwsteve
Old 08-24-2015, 10:23 AM   #5
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyBoy5 View Post
I had issues when I first tried logged on, but was able to finally get on. I am not trading, so can't speak to that performance (or lack thereof).
I traded today, and it went smoothly and quickly as always. I logged in, made my exchange from Prime Money Market to the funds I was buying, Vanguard said OK, done, you will get a confirmation.

THEN Vanguard said that the money in Prime Money Market hadn't yet cleared the bank so my trade might be delayed.

This can't be! I sure hope all is well. Surely it has cleared the bank, because:

(1) Early this morning both Vanguard and my bank showed that the money I uploaded to Vanguard on Friday morning was definitely at Vanguard in Prime Money Market and not at my bank.

(2) I got a confirmation e-mail from Vanguard on Saturday saying that they received the money.

Compounding my worries, immediately after telling me the money hadn't cleared my bank yet, Vanguard threw me offline as the website crashed. Eventually I got back on but wasn't able to see anything unusual or of great concern.

I am hoping all this is just due to Vanguard being overloaded today. Wish me luck!

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 10:29 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

These type of events are not uncommon during times of market volatility. Seen it many times, just glad I'm not w*rking , so it's not me they are calling. Probably as the day goes on lookylous won't be checking balances etc. Add some processors and all is forgotten till it happens the next time.
Old 08-24-2015, 11:18 AM   #7

Brings back memories to 1987, trying to call my discount broker (Schwab) on a coin pay phone, and all the telephone lines were busy ( for real )
Old 08-24-2015, 11:20 AM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I traded today, and it went smoothly and quickly as always. I logged in, made my exchange from Prime Money Market to the funds I was buying, Vanguard said OK, done, you will get a confirmation.

THEN Vanguard said that the money in Prime Money Market hadn't yet cleared the bank so my trade might be delayed.

This can't be! I sure hope all is well. Surely it has cleared the bank, because:

(1) Early this morning both Vanguard and my bank showed that the money I uploaded to Vanguard on Friday morning was definitely at Vanguard in Prime Money Market and not at my bank.

(2) I got a confirmation e-mail from Vanguard on Saturday saying that they received the money.

Compounding my worries, immediately after telling me the money hadn't cleared my bank yet, Vanguard threw me offline as the website crashed. Eventually I got back on but wasn't able to see anything unusual or of great concern.

I am hoping all this is just due to Vanguard being overloaded today. Wish me luck!
Your mutual fund buys won't execute until market close today, so they have until then to sort it out. Do they have some kind of hold on large deposits?
Old 08-24-2015, 11:29 AM   #9
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Your mutual fund buys won't execute until market close today, so they have until then to sort it out. Do they have some kind of hold on large deposits?
Not that I know of!

I just hope I don't get caught in some sort of "dead cat bounce" tomorrow.

Other than the money I uploaded on Friday, my Prime Money Market had only $99 in it.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 08-24-2015, 11:39 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post

I had something very similar happen to me with VG a couple of months ago. I had moved funds into the money market and about 3 days later, I got a confirmation. I made a trade and initially, it looked fine and then I got an email about funds availability (or lack thereof, again). Before I could look into it further, I got a call from VG and they told me it was all good to go. And that was on a day when volume and volatility wasn't crazy...I just don't think I am interested in getting caught up in some madness that is happening today. The daytraders can keep that madness.
Old 08-24-2015, 11:45 AM   #11
Administrator

Quote:
I had something very similar happen to me with VG a couple of months ago. I had moved funds into the money market and about 3 days later, I got a confirmation. I made a trade and initially, it looked fine and then I got an email about funds availability (or lack thereof, again). Before I could look into it further, I got a call from VG and they told me it was all good to go. And that was on a day when volume and volatility wasn't crazy...
Oh good! Maybe it is some sort of automated warning.

Quote:
I just don't think I am interested in getting caught up in some madness that is happening today. The daytraders can keep that madness.
Me either, but as long as I was going to invest anyway....

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 08-24-2015, 11:49 AM   #12

You need a real broker if you want to trade stock intraday in a market like this. Vanguard is the best in the world for mutual funds but not for trading stocks like this.

I bought AAPL at 95.10 and sold at 108 at OptionsHouse where I trade stocks and options.
Old 08-24-2015, 12:03 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by utrecht View Post
You need a real broker if you want to trade stock intraday in a market like this. Vanguard is the best in the world for mutual funds but not for trading stocks like this.

I bought AAPL at 95.10 and sold at 108 at OptionsHouse where I trade stocks and options.
Yep, Optionshouse is also where I trade. Unfortunately I got up late and didn't log on until two minutes after the market had opened, so missed the huge sale in Apple and Gilead. You made out like a bandit, great buy!
Old 08-24-2015, 12:08 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

I had a lot of issues with Vanguard this morning. When I finally got in, I found out that trading of VV had been suspended. Most of my ETF orders executed though.

Sent from my EVO using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 08-24-2015, 12:33 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen1972 View Post
Not sure if anyone else had issues with Vanguard this morning... tried to pick up Apple at $94 and it just sat and spun.. had issues logging in and it was slow processing too..

Never tried to trade Vanguard on busy days like this, not sure if this is typical as I usually do day trades in Tradeking, but didn't have the free cash. Is this typical?

Anyone pick up anything good this morning or everyone sitting on the sidelines

Had this prob. Friday took a long time to get my order thru
Old 08-24-2015, 02:55 PM   #16
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewood90712 View Post
Brings back memories to 1987, trying to call my discount broker (Schwab) on a coin pay phone, and all the telephone lines were busy ( for real )
Old 08-24-2015, 04:24 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewood90712 View Post
I made several trades (buys) online with Schwab today. I didn't notice any slow downs on their website or in their trade executions. It did take a few hours before I got the email trade confirmations (which I usually see in minutes) but I don't really care about that. Much better than payphone trading.
Old 08-24-2015, 04:37 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
I made several trades (buys) online with Schwab today. I didn't notice any slow downs on their website or in their trade executions.
But what time were your trades? After 11:00am Eastern? Or within 15-30 mins of the open?
Old 08-24-2015, 07:05 PM   #19

Not in the first 30 mins. A little to wild and crazy for me. I waited and entered all of them about 11:30 EST (Limit orders) One traded about 11:45 EST and two more after noon (EST). As best as I can tell they all executed when the limits were "first" hit after my order entry.
Old 08-24-2015, 07:30 PM   #20

I didn't have any trouble logging in to Vanguard, but it was after 5:00 PM and I didn't do anything but look and say "dagnabit!" and then log off.