Join Early Retirement Today

Vanguard Portfolio Analysis tool
Old 06-17-2017, 11:51 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Vanguard Portfolio Analysis tool

So yesterday this tool shows I was in 75% in stocks and zero in cash which is not the case. What could possibly cause this tool to be out of whack. I didn't know it has a problem because I rely on this to tell me my AA. What are your thoughts on this?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2017, 11:57 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

You should be able to drill down to see exactly how the Vanguard classifies each of your assets as well as the percentage of each individual holding. Do you have everything in your AA loaded into the tool?

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 12:05 PM   #3

I didn't know I have to load the AA tool. I thought it's smart enough to tell except for cash covered puts.
Old 06-17-2017, 12:10 PM   #4

It should recognize and categorize everything you have at Vanguard. You have to load in anything held by another financial institution.

Old 06-17-2017, 12:16 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

I also find Vanguard quote system has quirks.

I hold shares of a very thinly traded stock - it trades maybe 6 times a year - yes, no kidding - and a few months ago Vanguard took my stock value down to $0 from $20K.

Called Vanguard, they explained that if a stock has not traded for a long time, it is assigned a zero value until such time as a trade occurs again.

Might this be something that you have experienced? If you hold only active issues in the account, then it would not apply.

Thought I'd throw it out, just in case.
Old 06-17-2017, 12:25 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
It should recognize and categorize everything you have at Vanguard. You have to load in anything held by another financial institution.
I'm just asking about what I have at Vanguard only. Even what I have doesn't reflect correctly on the analysis tool.
Old 06-17-2017, 12:43 PM   #7
gone traveling

Ugh, please dont tell me we have been hacked.
Old 06-17-2017, 12:53 PM   #8

Just checked my Vanguard account. When I click on the "Asset Mix" tab it shows an accurate pie chart of my holdings/AA.

Old 06-17-2017, 01:01 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedup View Post
I'm just asking about what I have at Vanguard only. Even what I have doesn't reflect correctly on the analysis tool.
Vanguard now has a pretty good explanation of how the tool works and how the tool doesn't work. Did you click on that and read it?
Old 06-17-2017, 01:12 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I am surprised that it would misidentify cash....

However, I have bought a good number of preferred and think of them as bonds but Vanguard thinks of them as stocks... so, I just do a ball park... accuracy on the AA is not high on my list of things to worry about...
Old 06-17-2017, 02:05 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Vanguard's tool works well for my portfolio... you can drill down to see how it is classifying certain things.
Old 06-17-2017, 02:07 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
Vanguard now has a pretty good explanation of how the tool works and how the tool doesn't work. Did you click on that and read it?
I need to reread it again but when I first read it was not obvious.
Old 06-17-2017, 02:09 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
I am surprised that it would misidentify cash....

However, I have bought a good number of preferred and think of them as bonds but Vanguard thinks of them as stocks... so, I just do a ball park... accuracy on the AA is not high on my list of things to worry about...
This could be a problem. I have VCSH and I trade in and out to take advantage of the price swing. Maybe this is where I need to dig deeper. But the zero percentage of cash is a mistery.
Old 06-17-2017, 03:22 PM   #14

So I spent a bit of time looking at the accounts not. I think the Portfolio analysis doesn't reflect current account but also the ETF settlement date as well, kind of like a delay effect. Maybe I did have zero cash or close to zero cash for a day. But I sold some VCSH immediately the following day when the bond market popped briefly. I often put in a low bid of the day to see if I can buy lower and put in a higher bid of the day to see if I can sell higher. So the effect with zero cash sometime.
Old 06-17-2017, 04:36 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

It works fine for me. I have ETFs and mutual funds at Vanguard, and cash and CDs outside of Vanguard.

I made sure to categorize all my non-Vanguard holdings properly. It's not difficult at all.
Old 06-18-2017, 07:26 AM   #16

I have noticed that VG classifies certain Exchange Traded Notes as equities rather than bonds, e.g., ISM.