Join Early Retirement Today
Vanguard, Schwab, and the rise of the robo-adviser
Old 04-09-2016, 05:10 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.
Vanguard, Schwab, and the rise of the robo-adviser

Some interesting demographic info here. Startups vs legacy firms, boomers vs 'kids', etc.

The Vanguard Cyborg Takeover - Bloomberg

Arguing on the internet is like wrestling pigs. You both get dirty and the pig likes it.
dixonge is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2016, 06:16 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Interesting that the title and cover illustration feature a cyborg (negative connotations) but the closing paragraph with a quote from Burton Maljiel which seems to reflect the author's perception is:

"As happened with index funds, cut-rate competition will push fees down for all kinds of advice, and more people will be able to get help building portfolios. “The presence of Vanguard and Schwab—consumer-friendly companies—is a good thing, not a bad thing,” Malkiel says."

Every man is, or hopes to be, an Idler. -- Samuel Johnson
donheff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 07:16 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.
If one follows the MPT approach... a diversified investment portfolio and periodic re-balancing, what is the FA really doing... ok, hand holding.
Even with the personal interaction with Vanguard, I expect it will be hard for the "adviser" to really get to know each client. With the right people skills and a good CRM, they may be able to make it look like do.

Face it, many live advisers use mostly the same portfolio for each person with the same risk tolerance (with a possible shifting for age). Its not like they generate a new portfolio uniquely for each client.
The difference will be the make up each companies portfolios between these robo advisers. I would expect those to converge over time or people may choose their adviser based on past performance if they can get the data.
The area that is left is other financial planning. What $ should be used beyond the robo adviser's reach: rental real estate, MLP(?), tax planning (roth conversions) and so on. I would hope the robo advisers could support the concept of putting the appropriate type of investments in each account type (for tax efficiency). They may not be there yet... and this may require some optimization on the individual level.
“Remember where you came from, where you're going, and why you created this mess you got yourself into in the first place.”
― Richard Bach, Illusions
bingybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 07:30 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by bingybear View Post
If one follows the MPT approach... a diversified investment portfolio and periodic re-balancing, what is the FA really doing... ok, hand holding.
I'm guessing most folks wouldn't know MPT from MTV. So even just getting people into a diversified portfolio that reasonably matches their needs is a huge service. And then if the FA can keep them from jumping in to and out of the market based on the latest headlines they'll have more than earned their paycheck.
Retired early, traveling perpetually.
Gone4Good is offline   Reply With Quote