Join Early Retirement Today

Vanguard Windsor (Freaking out)
Old 07-16-2008, 06:59 AM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

Vanguard Windsor (Freaking out)

I am 45 and watching half of our IRA tank. Do I dump it at it's lowest and go to Vanguard Star or something? It is so full of finance, Gm, etc that I don't know if I need to cut my losses.
Help.....
arttillygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2008, 07:25 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Stay the course, it will come back, eventually, but what do I know. Just don't sell low and buy high...If you have cash to add...psssst Wellesley. That's where I am headed next, after adding more to BAC.

R
Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 07:43 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I have a little bit of Windsor, also, that I bought with my Roth IRA 2006 contribution. That little bit is getting littler every day! It has lost over 38% since November, 2006 when I bought it.

I can't bear to sell it at these awful prices. So, there it sits. The Amazing Shrinking Fund.

I agree with Rambler - - selling right now is probably not very advisable. On the other hand, I do expect that it will take a long time to recover. But then, what do I know? Very little. I do know that I won't need to get into it for 20 years or more.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 07:53 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

back around 1990 the financials also had a nice crash and it took that sector a few years to recover after the general market recovered. this is normal. a lot of these businesses are run with too much risk and leverage. once every ten years things go bad and these guys either go belly up or sell for pennies on the dollar to the conservative companies like Bank of America.

if you go back 20 years and look up the 10 largest banks or financial companies, most of them aren't around anymore
al_bundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 08:10 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by arttillygirl View Post
I am 45 and watching half of our IRA tank. Do I dump it at it's lowest and go to Vanguard Star or something? It is so full of finance, Gm, etc that I don't know if I need to cut my losses.
Help.....
Do a little reading of the books recommended in the FAQs. The whole point about asset allocation is that some things are winners and some are losers, constantly changing over time. Diversification allows you to smooth this out since they kind of average out.

In tough times like this your balances will be down because virtuallyl everything is down. As long as you are getting your "fair share" of the market there is little more to do.

If all you owned was GM, for example, then you should be freaked out. Otherwise, just be patient.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 08:30 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

It looks like many dividend-paying, value funds in general (including Windsor) have been clobbered since last year. I have read that there might be 2 reasons for that: 1) value funds typically invest in financials and "mature" industries that have been hurt either by the credit crisis or by the boom in oil prices. 2) People are selling them in advance of the Presidential election (people expect Obama to win and since he is proposing to increase the tax rate on dividends, people are moving away from dividend-paying funds). Don't shoot the messenger, I am just paraphrasing what I read in the press.

(FYI: The latter argument was used to explain why DVY was down much more than the overall market since early June)
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 02:14 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

“Some investments do have higher expected returns than others. Which ones? Well, by and large they’re the ones that will do the worst in bad times.”

William F. Sharpe Nobel Laureate in Economics, 1990, Stanford Professor of Economics, as quoted in Money Magazine’s July, 2007 issue
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 02:43 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

I own Vanguard Value Index Fund in the form of VTV ETF, and it's been clobbered lately as well. Just keep reinvesting those dividends, this too shall pass.
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 02:56 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Hey ag,
Welcome here.

Quote:
I don't know if I need to cut my losses.
Don't lose sleep over it and continue to fund your IRA. Unless you are going to retire soon, think of it as a long term deal. If you have the proper asset allocation, you should be able to get through this little rough patch and you will be better for having gone through it W/O panicking.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote