Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-08-2017, 01:51 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
If you feel like you're being left out of a good thing...

I saw a headline the other day about a 5-year-old kid who's making millions opening toys on YouTube videos.

Sort of puts the our whole system in perspective, doesn't it?
I guess pretty soon all we'll be doing is collecting advertising revenue from each other.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2017, 03:02 AM   #22

I looked it up.

Total spending on digital advertising worldwide is already 500+ billion. That's >70 USD per individual alive today.

Mind boggling.

And it's only going to grow, likely towards 2 trillion in a few years.

Old 01-11-2017, 11:54 AM   #23

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post
My DD once said that the real value of Uber is in their software, it could be used by the trucking industry - for example - for efficient dispatch by shippers.
The value that Uber delivers is because of their low overhead. Often their drivers are retired and driving their own cars for some extra money. Compare that to a taxi company that must buy the car and the taxi license and then hire drivers for 3 shifts. Their downtime is very expensive. Uber drivers just go home.
Old 01-11-2017, 12:08 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
The value that Uber delivers is because of their low overhead. Often their drivers are retired and driving their own cars for some extra money. Compare that to a taxi company that must buy the car and the taxi license and then hire drivers for 3 shifts. Their downtime is very expensive. Uber drivers just go home.
Very good observation. This is one of those 'disruptive technologies' they talk about.

Yes, cars (and many other things) are very underutilized capital. The drive-when-I-chose-to Uber driver has mostly just the variable costs, his fixed costs are fairly constant regardless (yes, wear and tear on car, etc).

It's one of the things that makes it so hard for me to spend money on a car - I want some great features, but then the car sits unused for ~ 23 hours a day. Drives me nuts (no pun intended)!

-ERD50
Old 01-11-2017, 12:33 PM   #25

Seems like there might be some potential to utilize boats in a similar way since most people buy a boat then use it a couple of times a year. Boatr app which lets you hire a boat from your phone from pretty much any water location.
Old 01-11-2017, 02:45 PM   #26

We are on a Boat

Old 01-11-2017, 02:48 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
Seems like there might be some potential to utilize boats in a similar way since most people buy a boat then use it a couple of times a year. Boatr app which lets you hire a boat from your phone from pretty much any water location.

It would be interesting if they allowed people to rent out their boats for some days... but one of the problems if that someone else is driving.... would you want to rent your car to anybody I would not...

Most larger lakes already have a marina or some location where you can rent a boat... kinda expensive, but if you are a infrequent user of a boat it is cheaper than owning... my sister has been renting out boats for years... they did own one for at least 20 years before....
Old 01-11-2017, 05:27 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
Operating a boat takes some skill, charter operators vet their customers. When my son was in college we chartered a sailboat out of Bellingham. The agent looked over my motley crew and asked about our experience. I looked at the magazine display rack and saw the current issue of Latitude 38 with my son's picture on the cover as a member of the Cal Maritime sailing club (they had just beat Stanford and Cal in the Bay to Catalina Island sailing race). He looked at the magazine, looked over my son, asked for his school ID and said, "You should be able to handle this boat!" Off we went.

On the other hand "Party Boats" are often rented on the Willamette. It appears that only a credit card and provisions are required.