Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-07-2013, 07:50 PM   #81
Recycles dryer sheets

I personally despise investing in the consumer electronics space. No stability in earnings, it's tough to rely on them to grow long term
chasesfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2016, 03:37 PM   #82
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Apple below 90 yesterday. Any takers?
Old 05-13-2016, 04:23 PM   #83

I see a good chance it will go lower still. Still an outstanding company to own IMHO.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 06:57 PM   #84
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Calling the bottom for 2016: $86.68 on 9/30/2016.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 07:10 PM   #85
Full time employment: Posting here.

I don't pretend to be a stock picker, but I've bought $55k of AAPL in the last 3 weeks. I think their pivot to services will allow them to continue to grow over the next few years, and there isn't a big down-side risk. Time will tell if I'm correct.
Old 05-14-2016, 02:40 PM   #86
gone traveling

I am considering to buy AAPL puts ...

I don't believe the company can navigate long term without their original founder. History already proved that once. History tends to repeat.
papadad111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 03:00 PM   #87
Give me a forum ...

I've got a buy order in for a price just below $90. I hope to pick it up in the next week or so. I sold my last hundred shares in a taxable account a few years ago at almost $100 (cost basis $10), and I've been waiting for chance to buy them back. I sold when I was in the 15% bracket and didn't pay CG tax. I just didn't do a very big Roth conversion that year. I was going to buy them back after a year, but the price went up so I waited. And in the meantime I decided to transfer my gambling fund to a Roth so I don't have to worry about taxes from now on. I could have bought them back at the sell price, but I'm a bit greedy.

I've still got to find a way to sell my taxable BRK.B shares without much of a tax hit. I've only got 10 more years until RMDs, so I want to maximize my Roth conversions. If I get a chance I'll dribble a few shares/year out filling in the gap between the conversion and the top of the 15% bracket. I already bought the replacement shares in the Roth at a much lower price than they are at today. Those were my only two big winners, so I can probably just pay the CGs on those without too much pain.

I love playing "Avoid the Taxes".
Old 05-14-2016, 03:03 PM   #88
Give me a forum ...

I've got a buy order in for a price just below $90. I hope to pick it up in the next week or so. I sold my last hundred shares in a taxable account a few years ago at almost $100 (cost basis $1), and I've been waiting for chance to buy them back. I sold when I was in the 15% bracket and didn't pay CG tax. I just didn't do a very big Roth conversion that year. I was going to buy them back after a year, but the price went up so I waited. And in the meantime I decided to transfer my gambling fund to a Roth so I don't have to worry about taxes from now on. I could have bought them back at the sell price, but I'm a bit greedy.

I've still got to find a way to sell my taxable BRK.B shares without much of a tax hit. I've only got 10 more years until RMDs, so I want to maximize my Roth conversions. If I get a chance I'll dribble a few shares/year out filling in the gap between the conversion and the top of the 15% bracket. I already bought the replacement shares in the Roth at a much lower price than they are at today. Those were my only two big winners, so I can probably just pay the CGs on those without too much pain.

I love playing "Avoid the Taxes".
Old 05-15-2016, 06:25 AM   #89
Give me a forum ...

Tim Cook has done an adequate job of handling the post Steve Jobs era. However, the lack of an innovative new product, a game changer, does not seem likely at this time.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 07:30 AM   #90
Give me a forum ...

Still, Apple owns about half the cash in the world. They can buy innovative game changers, even if they can't develop it themselves. I still think they're a good investment, especially at this or lower prices.
Old 05-15-2016, 07:48 AM   #91

Kicking myself for not selling at $130, but I don't know that it's a terrific value even now. The 7-way split has them selling still right around $650 while S&P is off about 5% from its high. I bought in at an equivalent under $450 and under $400, so I'm not sure right now they're a superior value.

That said, I'm going to crunch some numbers in the next week and look to see if I want to buy more.

I think AAPL's days of being a big time growth stock are behind them, and they should be invested as a value stock. For them, the idea of a game-changer is much more difficult because they're already so big. JMO.
Now I'm gonna live in a world like that!" - World Like That, O.A.R.
nash031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 07:51 AM   #92
Give me a forum ...

Freakin' Warren Buffett. I only needed it to drop another 1.5%, and he has to go and buy $1B worth of their stock, driving the price back up. I'll have to wait a bit for the news to fade before it drops back down to my range. So close, and yet so far.
Old 05-16-2016, 08:17 AM   #93

I have about $30,000 worth of Apple stock right now, and have been trying to maintain roughly that level. If it goes up enough I'll sell some, and if it drops enough I'll buy some. Last time I sold was back in 2015, and it was around $130. I bought some back when it dropped to $100, and just bought another 20 shares last week at $90.10 per share. Currently, 320 shares total.

I initially paid something like $88.60 per share for it back in 2005, but since then it did a 2:1 split a couple weeks after. And then it split again in 2014...I forget whether that was a 6:1 or 7:1?
Andre1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 08:35 AM   #94

Bet against Buffett is rarely a good strategy, yet I still don't see it.

Apple is a powerful brand, so was Nokia. And Dell. And IBM in the consumer space. Anything electronics related in the consumer arena is dangerous in my book.
Totoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 10:40 AM   #95
Recycles dryer sheets

And to be clear, this isn't a Warren Buffett purchase. It was made by either Todd or Ted. Each of them manage $10b for Berk. One of them was confident enough to make it a 10% position of theirs.
Cassius King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 11:25 AM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totoro View Post
Bet against Buffett is rarely a good strategy, yet I still don't see it.

Apple is a powerful brand, so was Nokia. And Dell. And IBM in the consumer space. Anything electronics related in the consumer arena is dangerous in my book.
There is risk of a shift in consumer sentiment, but at this price it would have to be dramatic to make Apple a bad buy. They are close to a single digit PE and have more cash than any other company in the world.

As long as sales don't fall off a cliff, this stock makes sense to me.

As someone else pointed out, it probably isn't Buffett buying this but one of the new guys.
Hamlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 12:44 PM   #97
Give me a forum ...

People talk about Apple "no longer being a growth stock" - but they were never priced like one. The P/E has always been absurdly low, even when the growth rate was incredible.
Old 05-16-2016, 12:53 PM   #98
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
People talk about Apple "no longer being a growth stock" - but they were never priced like one. The P/E has always been absurdly low, even when the growth rate was incredible.
+1.

The 400 shares I kept from 4 years ago have grown into 450.☺ I'm staying.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 01:57 PM   #99

Bought back when we had a very brief one day drop to 95+ last year then sold at 125+ a few weeks back before the decline.

Tried to catch the falling knife and bought back in too early at 99.99... apparently I forgot about that LIMIT order I set.

No more room for individual equities with AAPL taking the whole slice of my equities pie right now. A little overweight, 20% of the portfolio is in AAPL right now. I wish I had bought NVidia instead of so much AAPL in the tech sector.
Old 05-17-2016, 05:42 PM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Freakin' Warren Buffett. I only needed it to drop another 1.5%, and he has to go and buy $1B worth of their stock, driving the price back up. I'll have to wait a bit for the news to fade before it drops back down to my range. So close, and yet so far.
+1

He did the same thing to me on KMI, too.

Warren always said that he would never buy technology because he likes to stick with what he understands. This makes sense that he would like them now (at the right price). They have become the Coca Cola of electronics. They are unique in the marketplace and it is not because of unique technology.