Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-31-2018, 07:20 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Stopped contributing to high growth large cap stocks end of this month, and just focus on the S&P500 index for my 401k. But I'm still 90% in stock as equities have ways to go before hitting a peak. Eventually, all these trade wars will end before the end of this year, and will keep the stock booming for awhile.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2018, 08:59 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521 View Post
I use Quicken and Excel to check my asset allocation. I usually check it a few times a week just out of interest.

I require that I rebalance when my asset allocation gets out of whack by more than 2 percentage points, but if I'm feeling overly attentive about it I allow myself to rebalance to my AA for smaller deviations. Surprisingly I've done very tiny rebalancing moves seven times this year. Currently my AA is 91/9 and I'm at 91.48/8.52. I rebalance inside my traditional IRA between Vanguard mutual funds, so zero cost other than a little bit of my time.
Same here... I have a Quicken portfolio value report that I copy and paste into an Excel workbook and a summary sheet draws off that data and gives me an analysis of how I stand vs target. I can then simulate the impact of transactions and rebalance... usually all in my tIRA to avoid tax implications. I did a small rebalance a week ago and another back in late June.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56...60/35/5 AA
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 02:59 PM   #23

I do the same (I copy the new values into last year's workbook, with labels as to the category of fund and allocation percentages and then run an Excel Pivot table based on the categories, so I get a total of money/percentage allocated to each subcategory.)
I'll probably have to add to international, bonds, and value in February. I've already taken some gains in Fidelity Contra, Biotech, and small growth to cash, to build up 4 years of withdrawals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Same here... I have a Quicken portfolio value report that I copy and paste into an Excel workbook and a summary sheet draws off that data and gives me an analysis of how I stand vs target. I can then simulate the impact of transactions and rebalance... usually all in my tIRA to avoid tax implications. I did a small rebalance a week ago and another back in late June.
RobLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 05:43 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Trimming some stocks. I've found my smallest winners seem to be Drug, ConsumerStaple, and Telecom. All have nice dividends, but something's got to go.

Also, going to let about 10% of my MSFT and 1/3 of DE get called.

TBills here I come.
Old 09-13-2018, 05:45 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Most recently sold domestic equities and bought international and emerging market equities.... but fairly small amount in the whole scheme of things... less than 1% of total.

Old 09-13-2018, 10:21 PM   #26

I did a little bit of nibbling at Emerging market yesterday. Last time I sold VWO, it was $45, now it’s around $40+.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 10:27 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

i am looking , looking looking but so far have not made any moves this month

You must learn from the mistakes of others. You can't possibly live long enough to make them all yourself.

Samuel Levenson
Oz investor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 07:16 AM   #28

Mainly deploying idle cash into treasuries and CDs. Will be deploying some of my stock allocation back into emerging markets and Europe.

Also will transfer some stock to charity soon.
Montecfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 09:15 AM   #29

Maybe it's just me, but it seems like there are two kinds of rebalancers on this thread:

1. Those like me and W2R and pb4uski and others who have a predefined AA and just rebalance to that AA periodically. We probably would call ourselves passive investors or indexers.

2. People who use rebalancing as somewhat of a euphemism for active trading, possibly around the edges. Perhaps gcgang, Montecfo, copyright1997reloaded?

Personally I wonder what people in the second category would consider to be their target AA and how frequently that changes/drifts/adjusts. My guess for the latter half of that question would be nearly constantly in some cases.

No judgments, just curiosity.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 11:37 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Even though I rebalanced equities recently, I'm slightly overweight in equities again as a result of market gains but less than 1% so I'm standing pat for now.

I view frequent rebalancing as taking a little gains off the table so less is exposed to the inevitable bear.

Old 09-14-2018, 11:43 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

I prefer to wait a year before rebalancing, so that the different asset classes have time to diverge. So I tend to do it in Jan when I am withdrawing my annual income. I usually have considerable capital gains distributions in Dec anyway, that do most of the work for me in an up equity market year.

Exception: a large correction or bear market during the year that gets my allocation 8-10% out of whack.
Old 09-14-2018, 03:55 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

I tend to take some money from individual stock picks off the table when the stock has more than doubled and has gone logarithmically. Two I am pruning are MED, and SYY.

My goals are to invest part to more than make up the dividends lost, get some new passive income, and maybe buy into a fallen sector, or fallen angel stock.

Mostly I rebalance by putting new cash flow into areas I am a bit low in. Have read that Asia and Russia are hurting, so maybe time to look there again.
Ready-4-ER-at-14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 04:00 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready-4-ER-at-14 View Post
I tend to take some money from individual stock picks off the table when the stock has more than doubled and has gone logarithmically. Two I am pruning are MED, and SYY.

My goals are to invest part to more than make up the dividends lost, get some new passive income, and maybe buy into a fallen sector, or fallen angel stock.

Mostly I rebalance by putting new cash flow into areas I am a bit low in. Have read that Asia and Russia are hurting, so maybe time to look there again.
During the accumulation phase this is absolutely the way to go. Put your cash in the whichever are the laggards at any given time.

Still, there may come a sudden large change in asset valuation such that doing a rebalance between assets makes sense as well.
Old 09-14-2018, 05:13 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Maybe it's just me, but it seems like there are two kinds of rebalancers on this thread:

1. Those like me and W2R and pb4uski and others who have a predefined AA and just rebalance to that AA periodically. We probably would call ourselves passive investors or indexers.

2. People who use rebalancing as somewhat of a euphemism for active trading, possibly around the edges. Perhaps gcgang, Montecfo, copyright1997reloaded?

Personally I wonder what people in the second category would consider to be their target AA and how frequently that changes/drifts/adjusts. My guess for the latter half of that question would be nearly constantly in some cases.

i do have an AA plan , however the current economic scenario , makes that plan unattractive , so currently all i can do is tweak the assets i have and try to devise a better plan , so irregular moves as opportunities appear is what i am currently doing ,
HOWEVER had the crash happened in 2013 ( when i thought it might have ) i would have been very close to the original plan ( but bonds redeem and mature , don't they ??)

i still ideally need to increase my asset base in case predictions of my demise are premature , if they aren't, i am keeping amused until the prophesies are fulfilled , not a totally bad place to be .

unless the doctors opt for a heart transplant , i am not going back to any real work , that much i understand ( so will have big restrictions on future income )

You must learn from the mistakes of others. You can't possibly live long enough to make them all yourself.

Samuel Levenson
Oz investor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 06:40 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

My target AA has equities at 45%.

I rebalance during the first week in January, after withdrawing my year's spending money. I also rebalance if my equities drift below 42.5%, or above 47.5%.

Right now, my equities fraction is 45.54%. So far, so good. No rebalancing needed.
100% retired since 2009 and never plan to work for anybody ever again, paid or not. Retirement funded by Social Security, mini-pension, and investments (AA 45:55, mostly Vanguard). Debt free with no mortgage and over-the-moon happy to be retired.
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 07:05 PM   #36

I don't know if this is considered rebalancing, but I'm increasing certain areas of my portfolio such as mid/small cap stocks, foreign stocks and growth stocks--all with Vanguard ETFs. I've been a bit hesitant about making these moves because the last time that I did this was about three months before the Great Recession began.
Old 09-14-2018, 07:31 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
I don't know if this is considered rebalancing, but I'm increasing certain areas of my portfolio such as mid/small cap stocks, foreign stocks and growth stocks--all with Vanguard ETFs. I've been a bit hesitant about making these moves because the last time that I did this was about three months before the Great Recession began.
No, that is not rebalancing, itís changing your asset allocation. What you are practicing is Tactical Asset Allocation, increasing the allocation to areas you perceive as undervalued.
Old 09-14-2018, 07:44 PM   #38

Quote:

Did somebody call me?

Yes, I guess I fall into the category of flexible in terms of asset allocation. I track it pretty carefully, but am fine and dandy with trading around the edges of my allocation. It's weird, I have a whole bunch of things that I've owned very long term, but I also buy and sell things along the way. (For the morbidly curious I am about 66% equities at the moment and I sold a little bit last week, but am also considering buying a bit of emerging markets.) But all of this 'trading' makes up a very small portion of my overall pie.

I would call myself a conservative market timer. If I thought we were going to the moon, I might push my asset allocation up to 70% or if I was going hog wild, 75%. If I thought we were at the end of the expansion, maybe bring it down a whole bunch, to 55-60%.
copyright1997reloaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 07:46 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
No, that is not rebalancing, itís changing your asset allocation. What you are practicing is Tactical Asset Allocation, increasing the allocation to areas you perceive as undervalued.
Thanks. And, now I know. Actually, I think I may have known that at one time. But, that time has passed. Kind of like last week (or so) when I forgot that Wellesley and Wellington weren't index funds.
Old 09-16-2018, 10:12 AM   #40
Confused about dryer sheets

Prior to the last election, my prediction was that the "other" candidate would win. I moved heavier into large growth mutual funds. The reasons: 1) Large companies were tending to contribute to that party, 2) Large companies can survive the regulatory onslaught. I think they actually prefer overbearing regulations since it wipes out competition from smaller companies.
Then the election happened and all the indices tumbled the next morning. My thinking was that the victor, based on what he was saying, would favor small as well as large companies (taxes, regulations).
I immediately re-balanced to small cap mutual funds, but kept about 25% of the equities in large caps. Small caps, which were hammered before the election have been outperforming large caps since then.
I will keep an eye on the the next election results.

I see no reason to get into anything other than short term bonds while interest rates are rising. Short term bond funds might be a good temporary parking lot for asset preservation.

DaveInMi is offline   Reply With Quote