Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-15-2015, 02:18 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Western Canada
Posts: 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by VFK57 View Post
I mean your Long Term Holding
ok, I'm buying some POT. It pays a >7% divy, and could do well long term. Doubt the divvy will decrease. If things fail, I'll go to Colorado and hold it in another way.
__________________

__________________
I'm not crazy. Honest, the judge had me tested.
Rick_Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2015, 05:20 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Utrecht
Posts: 2,213
Just had a short look at them, they have a high return on invested capital as well (>10%).

Seems like a solid company. Payout ratio is kindof high though it seems in recent years.
__________________

__________________
Totoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 03:14 PM   #23
gone traveling
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,135
VTI.... 2 percent dividend yield. Long term hold. I'll never sell.
__________________
papadad111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 03:22 PM   #24
gone traveling
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,135
Reference POT. Maybe a value play but the basic materials sector including agri minerals and miners are all way way down.

Pot is Down from 60 in 2011.

A Canadian stock so trades on general commodities strength. The loonie weakening against the dollar will keep some pressure on POT
__________________
papadad111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 08:33 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 461
I purchased 300 shares of Walmart today. Could not resist.

Hopefully this will be a quick swing trade that I complete much sooner than later.

If I end up long there is always the dividend.
__________________
purplesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 08:38 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by papadad111 View Post
VTI.... 2 percent dividend yield. Long term hold. I'll never sell.
I hold VTI long also at Vanguard. I also swing trade VTI in my 401k brokerage account. VTI is a great ETF to trade.
__________________
purplesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 03:32 PM   #27
gone traveling
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,248
S&P 500 index in 401k accounts with expense fees of 2.5-4.0 cents on 100 dollars
__________________
eta2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 10:09 PM   #28
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Mulligan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 7,382
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplesky View Post
I purchased 300 shares of Walmart today. Could not resist.



Hopefully this will be a quick swing trade that I complete much sooner than later.



If I end up long there is always the dividend.

I only own one common stock EDE and I plan on keeping it until they get bought out which I hope happens in my lifetime.... But I admit Walmart is getting my attention. Trough earnings next year put it at a 15 PE ratio which isnt a steal yet, but definitely not a stretch trade IMHO. Im hoping (probably in vain) that people will see a 30% loss on WMT in their accounts and do some tax loss harvesting and drive it down into the lower 50s. If they do....I will be ready!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
__________________
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 10:28 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
I only own one common stock EDE and I plan on keeping it until they get bought out which I hope happens in my lifetime.... But I admit Walmart is getting my attention. Trough earnings next year put it at a 15 PE ratio which isnt a steal yet, but definitely not a stretch trade IMHO. Im hoping (probably in vain) that people will see a 30% loss on WMT in their accounts and do some tax loss harvesting and drive it down into the lower 50s. If they do....I will be ready!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I think WMT is close to a bottom. If we get a market correction anytime soon it could easily go to $50. WMT would be a real steal in the low $50s.

WMT will rebound and get it together sooner than later.

My guess is WMT will bounce soon and get to about $63 to $64 once they officially layout out a long term e-commerce game plan.

But we are talking stock market casino so its a guess.
__________________
purplesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 10:41 PM   #30
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Mulligan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 7,382
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplesky View Post
I think WMT is close to a bottom. If we get a market correction anytime soon it could easily go to $50. WMT would be a real steal in the low $50s.



WMT will rebound and get it together sooner than later.



My guess is WMT will bounce soon and get to about $63 to $64 once they officially layout out a long term e-commerce game plan.



But we are talking stock market casino so its a guess.

You probably are correct and I am being a bit greedy. 300-400 shares would probably be my max anyways. But I am determined to make myself at least monitor the price daily. I love the comments section people write on WMT. Many consider it the next Sears and Kmart.... I don't see that happening at all.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
__________________
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 11:18 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
You probably are correct and I am being a bit greedy. 300-400 shares would probably be my max anyways. But I am determined to make myself at least monitor the price daily. I love the comments section people write on WMT. Many consider it the next Sears and Kmart.... I don't see that happening at all.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Should be an interesting Xmas shopping season. WMT and Amazon will be in a big price war. Last year xmas deals were weak for consumers.

WMT will need to get traffic in stores so expect big deals.
__________________
purplesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 11:22 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus
aja8888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The Woodlands, TX
Posts: 7,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplesky View Post
Should be an interesting Xmas shopping season. WMT and Amazon will be in a big price war. Last year xmas deals were weak for consumers.

WMT will need to get traffic in stores so expect big deals.
WMT also is raising employee wages to $8 - $9 per hour across the board from what I heard on CNBC. That should reduce margins.
__________________
......."Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face." -- philosopher Mike Tyson.
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 11:46 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
WMT also is raising employee wages to $8 - $9 per hour across the board from what I heard on CNBC. That should reduce margins.
Yes but WMTs biggest problem has been store quality and the lousy shopping experience.

So higher wages will improve the level of employee quality and WMT will get their workforce off welfare.

If(when) wages actually do go up WMT will benefit immediately with consumer spending.

WMT should have raised wages years ago.

Amazon has low wage issues also but its kind of a dirty secret.

WMT is at a crossroads as a company and they need to change the public perception and truly improve as a corporate citizen. WMTs future now depends on it.
__________________
purplesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 04:21 AM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets
OrcasIslandBound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Poway, CA
Posts: 441
I've had FLPSX, Fidelity low price stock mutual fund since about the late 80's. I keep an eye on it because it is a managed fund and the minute it drops to a three star fund, I'll switch it to an index fund. Almost all my other investments are index ETFs or mutual funds. VYM, VTI, BLV, BND, etc. Most have good dividends.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
__________________
OrcasIslandBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 06:23 AM   #35
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 1,050
VTI - Best long term hold stock, IMHO.
__________________
jim584672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 08:49 AM   #36
Moderator Emeritus
aja8888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The Woodlands, TX
Posts: 7,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplesky View Post
Yes but WMTs biggest problem has been store quality and the lousy shopping experience.

So higher wages will improve the level of employee quality and WMT will get their workforce off welfare.

If(when) wages actually do go up WMT will benefit immediately with consumer spending.

WMT should have raised wages years ago.

Amazon has low wage issues also but its kind of a dirty secret.

WMT is at a crossroads as a company and they need to change the public perception and truly improve as a corporate citizen. WMTs future now depends on it.
Not meaning to change this into a + or - WMT thread here, but WMT employees will not be that much better off with a few dollars more in their paycheck. It's simply not enough to make any significant lifestyle change and we all know how a raise motivates you.

WMT is being beaten to death by Amazon and other retailers, online and bricks and mortar types.

They also have turned most stores into grocery/clothing stores. Try buying a plumbing fitting or most any hardware item.
__________________
......."Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face." -- philosopher Mike Tyson.
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 09:04 AM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets
jfn111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Bloomington, MN
Posts: 205
I'll be the third to say MO.
I've owned the stock for 30+ years.
I turn 59 1/2 in mid Nov. and plan to start moving some money out of my 401K for better diversification. MO is about 12% of my 401K and I want to get it down to about 5%.
__________________
jfn111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 09:26 AM   #38
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Mulligan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 7,382
Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Not meaning to change this into a + or - WMT thread here, but WMT employees will not be that much better off with a few dollars more in their paycheck. It's simply not enough to make any significant lifestyle change and we all know how a raise motivates you.



WMT is being beaten to death by Amazon and other retailers, online and bricks and mortar types.



They also have turned most stores into grocery/clothing stores. Try buying a plumbing fitting or most any hardware item.

They actually have fairly decent online presence but yes it is dwarfed by Amazon. They are moving more resources to online, but nobody appears to be making any money there. Who knows if that will bear fruit. I mean no company can just endlessly grow revenue for 20 years and never show a profit....Oh wait that is what Amazon does.
Actually the next two years for Walmart will be tough as the following year their wages go to $10 an hour. Anybody who bought WMT in the $80s and above is feeling some major pain unfortunately and I don't see it back there for quite a while.



Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
__________________
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 10:11 AM   #39
Moderator Emeritus
aja8888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The Woodlands, TX
Posts: 7,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
They actually have fairly decent online presence but yes it is dwarfed by Amazon. They are moving more resources to online, but nobody appears to be making any money there. Who knows if that will bear fruit. I mean no company can just endlessly grow revenue for 20 years and never show a profit....Oh wait that is what Amazon does.
Actually the next two years for Walmart will be tough as the following year their wages go to $10 an hour. Anybody who bought WMT in the $80s and above is feeling some major pain unfortunately and I don't see it back there for quite a while.



Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Amazon has shown a profit in the last quarter or two. They are expected (by analysts) to do the same this earnings period.

WMT online, with store pickup, is a disaster. I tried that a few times and the store folks give it a low priority and have a hard time making it work well. I have the personal horror stories, but this is not a place for them. WMT delivery to home is OK, but shipping is slow compared to Amazon.

I suspect the stock in the low 50's, where it was a few years ago, may be a good core holding for consumer discretionary. But maybe an ETF would be a better choice in that group?
__________________
......."Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face." -- philosopher Mike Tyson.
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 10:26 AM   #40
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Mulligan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 7,382
Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Amazon has shown a profit in the last quarter or two. They are expected (by analysts) to do the same this earnings period.



WMT online, with store pickup, is a disaster. I tried that a few times and the store folks give it a low priority and have a hard time making it work well. I have the personal horror stories, but this is not a place for them. WMT delivery to home is OK, but shipping is slow compared to Amazon.



I suspect the stock in the low 50's, where it was a few years ago, may be a good core holding for consumer discretionary. But maybe an ETF would be a better choice in that group?

Im with you about the low 50s. This may mean I may never get a chance to buy it though. That would get divi near 4% and they can cover it by 2X even at earnings trough coming up in next couple years.
I was just poking a little fun at Amazons earnings. These can occur with a stroke of a pen. An ETF will always be a better choice than a stock tip from me!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
__________________

__________________
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Long Term Asset Allocation for the Short Term? Dwhit FIRE and Money 10 08-23-2014 10:12 PM
What % of your equity based income are qualified dividends/long term capital gain kmt1972 FIRE and Money 17 03-09-2014 01:17 PM
Work dilema regarding Megacorp request to plan long term when I only have short term Al in Ohio FIRE and Money 32 07-05-2013 04:10 PM
Long term loss combined with long term gain dmpi FIRE and Money 9 12-21-2012 04:27 PM
Short term vs Long term Bonds bank5 Stock Picking and Market Strategy 17 03-24-2009 04:40 PM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:46 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.