Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-30-2016, 05:46 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
The P/E on Amazon is 187
The P/E on Alphabet (the old Google) is 29.

What happened to the sage advice of buy low, sell high?
I stand by my choices. Buying low can turn into a value trap.
I don't own either of these 2 directly, but the OP said this was 'fun money'

I'll post the closing prices from yesterday: July 29th 2016
AMZN: $758.81
GOOG: $768.79

Hopefully we'll all be around 5-10-15-20 years or more from now & we can look back & see if I was right or wrong
ownyourfuture is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2016, 05:53 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Send a message via ICQ to hesperus Send a message via AIM to hesperus Send a message via Yahoo to hesperus
Quote:
Originally Posted by clobber View Post
This makes no sense at all. "Hey dude, gambling in the stock market is BAD. Gambling in Vegas is better!"

I suggest finding a company you like, doing some research. Pick one company and go for it. Sure - decent chance of losing the money, but with the research I would say reasonable chance of home run.

Go to Vegas you lose for sure!
No, it makes perfect sense. He's more likely to double his money by putting it all on black at the roulette wheel than he is to pick a stock that will double in a year.
hesperus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 06:03 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

LOL. One post defines a home run as a 1 year return. The other hedges at 5-10-15-20 years. I wonder what the OP thinks is a home run?
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 06:24 PM   #24

Quote:
Whole Foods. Just got a beat down.
WFM split 2-1 on May 30, 2013
It went on to reach it's all time high of 65$ in late 2013.
Now it's less than 1/2 that.
Value trap IMO
Old 07-30-2016, 06:28 PM   #25

Quote:
LOL. One post defines a home run as a 1 year return. The other hedges at 5-10-15-20 years. I wonder what the OP thinks is a home run?
The OP never mentioned a timeframe.
Would it be better if I included a 1 & 3 year 'hedge' as well ?
Old 07-30-2016, 08:55 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by hesperus View Post
No, it makes perfect sense. He's more likely to double his money by putting it all on black at the roulette wheel than he is to pick a stock that will double in a year.
And if he wants to put in $10k and have $1M in 10 years? Or more? Good luck with that roulette wheel.
clobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 07:21 AM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

Send a message via ICQ to hesperus Send a message via AIM to hesperus Send a message via Yahoo to hesperus
Quote:
Originally Posted by clobber View Post
And if he wants to put in $10k and have $1M in 10 years? Or more? Good luck with that roulette wheel.
and good luck with your stock picks turning 10K into 1M
hesperus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 08:25 AM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by hesperus View Post
and good luck with your stock picks turning 10K into 1M

Ha! Touche
Old 08-01-2016, 11:25 AM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
My timeframe will be 5-10 years.
ER_Hopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 05:03 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Check out RDN. Almost went bankrupt during housing crisis. Now making very good money and stock price has dropped over last 6 months. Looking for $18/share in next year. Jmho.
LiveBelowMeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 01:00 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER_Hopeful View Post
My timeframe will be 5-10 years.
I have a similar 10k and similar timeframe. One that I have been thinking about is Tesla. I would think you'll either lose it or do very well. Disclaimer: I am not an financial adviser nor do I own that stock.

What got me thinking about this was a visit to a Tesla store. Inside they had the basic frame without the cover. What struck me is how very simple that car actually is. You can see an example here. Basically a bit of steering in the front, an electric motor in the back, and some batteries in the middle. The motor looks like one of the little ones I played with as a kid.

Now - I'm not a car guy at all, but where are all those things I don't understand when I look under my car's hood? Pistons, spark plugs, fuel injectors, timing belts, etc. You know - all the things that break and need maintenance and all that. I was impressed.

Of course, that has no bearing on how the company and their stock will fare.