Join Early Retirement Today

what to invest with 10k
Old 07-29-2016, 08:55 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

what to invest with 10k

Have always been an index fund investor for the past 10, 12 years, now I have about $10k of "fun money" that I'm willing to risk. I'm very new to stock research, any individual stock, eft suggestions? screening tools? list of strategies? Sorry for the broad question, just trying to get started. thanks.
ER_Hopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2016, 08:58 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

How about BRK.B?

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 09:26 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

What are you hoping to accomplish with this money? Hit a home run? Or just a steady diet of singles and doubles?
Is there any chance you will need to liquidate the investment in a hurry?

Is this in an after-tax account, or tax sheltered vehicle?

If after-tax, how will capital gains and/or dividends-interest be impacted by taxes?
HadEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 09:51 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by HadEnuff View Post
What are you hoping to accomplish with this money? Hit a home run? Or just a steady diet of singles and doubles?
Is there any chance you will need to liquidate the investment in a hurry?

Is this in an after-tax account, or tax sheltered vehicle?

If after-tax, how will capital gains and/or dividends-interest be impacted by taxes?
definitely looking for a home run. My investment growth has been steady for the past 12 years but very slow. Looking for a big payback with this mad money. I can put it in an IRA account.
ER_Hopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 09:54 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Look at the most under performing sector in the market over the last year and buy an ETF that tracks it.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 11:10 AM   #6

You want a home run?

Try and find the common denominator here:
Stocks - Performance | 10-Year Leaders

Medicine and technology basically, with a few odd ones out (guns, credit cards).

Prepare to lose your entire outlay though.
Totoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 12:37 PM   #7

I'd invest half in Amazon, & half in Google.
ownyourfuture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 01:03 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Hitting a home run in the stock market with fun money in the short term is certainly possible, but striking out is more probable. This kind of investing is called gambling. I'd rather use my fun money to go to Las Vegas, do some sightseeing, see some shows, and gamble.
Old 07-29-2016, 01:05 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownyourfuture View Post
I'd invest half in Amazon, & half in Google.
The P/E on Amazon is 187
The P/E on Alphabet (the old Google) is 29.

What happened to the sage advice of buy low, sell high?
Old 07-29-2016, 01:12 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

No offense but there is no "home run" in investing. Chasing a hot tech stock is gambling, not investing. I'd rather take the money and put it towards an amazing vacation than chase a stock that may drop 50%. Or take your money to Vegas and see what happens.

I like to "invest" in a tech stock when it misses earnings but has strong fundamentals...eg. AAPL, GOOG. I bought GOOG back about two years ago at 524 on bad news. It's about 775 now I think.
Travelwanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 01:15 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelwanted View Post
No offense but there is no "home run" in investing. Chasing a hot tech stock is gambling, not investing. I'd rather take the money and put it towards an amazing vacation than chase a stock that may drop 50%. Or take your money to Vegas and see what happens.

I like to "invest" in a tech stock when it misses earnings but has strong fundamentals...eg. AAPL, GOOG. I bought GOOG back about two years ago at 524 on bad news. It's about 775 now I think.
^^^^THIS^^^^
Old 07-29-2016, 02:46 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Look at the charts what will you consider a good buy at this lofty levels

Put the money under a pillow, pull it out after the fed get interest rates in 3-4% range and there will be plenty of stuff to buy when this happens.
HF63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 02:58 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Maybe I am wrong here, but if I was trying to hit a home run and essentially gamble, I would do it in a taxable account. I didnt invest as much in tax free space as I should have so I hold that money precious and invest it in a likewise manner. If you strike out swinging for the fences at least you can write it off on your taxes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 03:05 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HF63 View Post
Look at the charts what will you consider a good buy at this lofty levels
Whole Foods. Just got a beat down.
Old 07-29-2016, 05:36 PM   #15

All the sage (and correct) advice about investing vs. gambling nothwithstanding, perhaps looks into options? If you're looking for high volatility, that is a place you can really move the needle (up or down). I'm not an option investor but there is a strategy of buying options near make or break events for a company. Buy out of the money calls on a biotech that us about to get the big FDA thumbs up or down. If they get it, you're invest wins big. If not, you get zero.

And for goodness sake, do not bet precious tax deferred money on this.
Old 07-29-2016, 06:29 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortoise View Post
Hitting a home run in the stock market with fun money in the short term is certainly possible, but striking out is more probable. This kind of investing is called gambling. I'd rather use my fun money to go to Las Vegas, do some sightseeing, see some shows, and gamble.
This makes no sense at all. "Hey dude, gambling in the stock market is BAD. Gambling in Vegas is better!"

I suggest finding a company you like, doing some research. Pick one company and go for it. Sure - decent chance of losing the money, but with the research I would say reasonable chance of home run.

Go to Vegas you lose for sure!
clobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 10:37 AM   #17

I too have been overweighted in my cash position but with the way market is right now I don't see a lot of options; either index investing, spend the money (toy, vacation etc) or wait until a dip (like the Brexit). I'm hoping to do the latter.
dvalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 10:53 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER_Hopeful View Post
Have always been an index fund investor for the past 10, 12 years, now I have about $10k of "fun money" that I'm willing to risk. I'm very new to stock research, any individual stock, eft suggestions? screening tools? list of strategies? Sorry for the broad question, just trying to get started. thanks.
I will take this as “fun money” in that you are willing to invest in individual stock ideas that you think hold merit for long term prosperity. I would suggest you review the world economy and what industries/ business types will flourish over the next five years. If you believe for instance that incomes will continue to grow and interest in the world is expanding then perhaps investments in the travel industry. If you feel that the world is becoming a more dangerous place and wars may be breaking our then perhaps the defense or home security industry. In that way you will be invested in the way you see the world adapting. But always keep a look out for the secondary investments - if for instance you see a big increase coming for agriculture as demand for food skyrockets then perhaps an investment in Potash or agriculture machinery business may be the way to invest.
Running_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 03:32 PM   #19

Quote:
Look at the most under performing sector in the market over the last year and buy an ETF that tracks it.
Quote:
Try and find the common denominator here:
Stocks - Performance | 10-Year Leaders
Medicine and technology basically, with a few odd ones out (guns, credit cards).
Did you notice that these two are in opposition to each other?

Quote:
+1 Over 35 years I have tried a lot of things, and am now just an index investor, which is your main position. I would still put most of it there. If you want to take a flier on something, you might look in the commodity space, like gold or oil, which are just showing signs of coming out of long bear markets. Or just do something fun.

Quote:
If I was trying to hit a home run and essentially gamble, I would do it in a taxable account. If you strike out swinging for the fences at least you can write it off on your taxes.
+1 on this also.
Old 07-30-2016, 04:36 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRoy View Post
Did you notice that these two are in opposition to each other?
LOL. One reflects value investing and the other growth style. You need
some of both.