Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-15-2017, 12:44 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
Guess I'm just dense, but this seems like a worthwhile thing to ponder. We are up a fair bit in the market and I can easily imagine a 30% drop. If we sell now we pay 15% taxes to the feds and a chunk to the state. Then we have say 80% of our profit left and we... do what with it? Nobody with a better answer than leave the money in the market and wait for a rally (inevitable saith the faithful)?
Truth be told, my question stemmed from discussion I was having with a few friends of mine last night. In general the discussion was "experts" calling for market correction and what would people do in response (basically once it happens it's in theory too late so might as well just ride it out). But then it turned to if you knew in advance that market correction was coming what would you do. In summary, even with advanced knowledge there's no a lot someone can do as you don't know why the market is correcting, national, international, political, economic, etc. So anything you do could be step in wrong direction. So if one has advance knowledge and can't come up with a good plan with advance knowledge, then reacting to the experts on their advice that the market is going to correct is really just an effort in frustration too.

In the end people thought holding cash was silly, putting money into CD still not worthwhile as rates would remain under pressure. Seemed people though getting into gold was good as most likely a drop would be from something stupid going on in the political world and gold is safe. But one guy held onto Bitcoin as where he'd dump his investments, uncertainty in the world would continue to drive up Bitcoin.

The discussion last night was influenced by beers and cocktails, just curious what people not under the influence would think. Again, silly premise, but no sillier than what the experts keep spewing forth every day as they talk about "markets hitting new highs and ready for correction soon".

Enjoy the day.
bobandsherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2017, 12:46 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

I already made my crystal ball moves in July. Changed asset allocation from 80/20 to 45/55.

Sure I missed some big gains last three months.
But I am very satisfied that I locked in some significant profits.
lwp2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 01:00 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwp2017 View Post
I already made my crystal ball moves in July. Changed asset allocation from 80/20 to 45/55.

My crystal balls says you’ll look like a genius in a few years for a well-timed move. I’ve gone from pretty much same AA to same AA as you, but over a period of years, not all at once.
Old 10-15-2017, 01:15 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Pinky: Gee, Brain. What are we going to do tonight?

The Brain: The same thing we do every night, Pinky. Try to take over the world.
BreathFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 01:29 PM   #25

I would go into my portfolio tracking spreadsheet to see if this would trip a rebalancing band if so what purchases I would need to make to rebalance.

You said what would we do if we knew the market was going to go down 30%. You did not indicate how quickly it would recover.
truenorth418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 01:32 PM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

No such thing as a useful crystal ball, so no answer...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 01:47 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
I would send Crystal Ball back to the factory (if still under warranty) as it is clearly malfunctioning.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 06:18 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Buy a boatload of cheap, out of the money put options that expire just after next week. Then lease my crystal ball to Bloomberg who would undoubtedly be better at marketing it through their terminal subscriptions.
Old 10-15-2017, 11:35 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by truenorth418 View Post
I would go into my portfolio tracking spreadsheet to see if this would trip a rebalancing band if so what purchases I would need to make to rebalance.

You said what would we do if we knew the market was going to go down 30%. You did not indicate how quickly it would recover.
Actually, I did - 2 years+.
Old 10-16-2017, 04:32 AM   #30

Quote:

So here here lies the tension...

Smart part of your brain says “stay with your planned AA”, “don’t panick, you have seen how markets come back... like after 2007”.

Impulsive/greedy/fearfull brain says “it’s coming, cash out and wait to buy back in after a big drop” aka “market timer”.

So this begs the question... are you adjusting your AA as effectively a market timing strategy or is this your new AA due to long term strategic planning?

Despite my own crystal ball saying we are due for a sizable correction since the beginning of the year, I have stayed the course with my previously set long term AA of 60/40. None the less, my market timing itch feels like it needs scratching every day these days. Part of me sees the logic in dropping my AA to more conservative levels, but then the question is always when do you ratchet back up... back to my market timer brain.
DawgMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 04:57 AM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

If the crystal ball yielded solid info as to the beginning and end of the drop, I'd go to cash in my IRA and buy puts with my taxable $. But I tried market timing during Y2K and missed out on +100k $ because I mis-timed the end of the drop. So I'd have to be 100% assured that the crystal ball was correct or else I'd just ride it out with my current AA.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 05:08 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

If the crystal ball were accurate, forget the market. I’ll find the upcoming lottery winning numbers and spend $5/week for a large return.
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 06:39 AM   #33

In this order:

1) Sell the crystal ball to the highest bidder
2) Invest the proceeds into my current AA
3) Re-balance annually to buy cheaper shares in a declining market
3) Remind myself that reinvested dividends are also buying cheap shares
4) Stay the course and wait for the market to recover

FN
flintnational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 07:50 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash man View Post
If the crystal ball were accurate, forget the market. I’ll find the upcoming lottery winning numbers and spend $5/week for a large return.
The crystal ball was one time use and only for the forward view of the market. No lottery numbers, that would just be cheating, and where's the fun in that?
Old 10-16-2017, 07:55 AM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Sell all my stocks and buy up SPXU (-3x s&p) Double my holdings in a week. Big tax bill though.
jetpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 08:09 AM   #36

Quote:

It's all about timing, and they say most people won't time things right.

Someone who made the move a year ago missed a lot in the gains. Comparing Vanguard total bond fund (VBMFX) to S&P, over the last year VBMFX is about 2% loss while S&P is 20% gain and DOW and NASDAQ up almost 28%. Effectively, someone who made the move a year ago has already realized the value of a 8-14% market correction in their portfolio. Trying to time when to get in could cause them another 8-14% in their portfolio. So trying to time the market could still effectively cost you a 'market correction' in your portfolio.
Old 10-16-2017, 08:33 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

If it were a real crystal ball it would also tell me when the market would recover its losses. So I would do nothing.

A long term 30% drop with my AA is less than a 15% loss, and dividends are still coming in. I can weather that fine.
Old 10-16-2017, 09:03 AM   #38

Buy.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 08:12 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I have an asset allocation and I stick with it. Worked in the last crash and I expect it to work in the next one.
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I'd market the services of my crystal ball to the masses and make a bundle as a market guru.
me too!
Old 10-19-2017, 07:11 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandsherry View Post
Curious... what would you do with your investment portfolio if you had a crystal ball and could see a long term (2+ years) drop in the market of 30% in the next week? What would be your flight to safety? Gold? Bitcoin? CD's? Cash? Specific stocks that fair well in market downturn? Do you already have a plan in mind or just fly by seat of your pants?

Why would you need safety? If you knew the future direction of any asset, you make the biggest derivative leverage bet you can and collect your reward afterward.
dallas27 is offline   Reply With Quote