Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-27-2016, 03:30 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I would invest it first, the same way I am doing now.

Then, I would see what an additional $35K/year can get me. I may go for business-class seats now.
I'd crank up the thermostat to 68° all winter.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2016, 03:30 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2017ish View Post
Invest same as the rest of the portfolio. Increase spending from outset of retirement.)
Mostly this, but I'd also keep some out to party with, maybe ~$200k. Spend $25k on camera gear, give $80 - $100k to younger sister who, while not living in poverty, doesn't have much extra either.

And I like W2R's idea of the $100 bill for tips at the restaurants. Our eating out would probably increase a lot. Housecleaning service, DW would go nutso buying stuff for the grandnieces and grandnephews. Lots of options to think about. I'll give it more thought when it happens.

Old 12-27-2016, 03:34 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I leave the thermostat at my high-country home at 45F year-round, whether I am there or not. 68°? Nah, I like it cold. It helps me burn calories, so that I can stay lean and mean.
Old 12-27-2016, 03:39 PM   #44

I'm assuming this is not taxable.

First I'd put 10% into a charitable fund and direct charitable donations from that fund over time.

Next, since DW is a pastor and we don't own our home, I'd probably put around $250K into a balanced investment fund (40/60 or 50/50, give or take) to set aside for a retirement home purchase in the future.

That would leave maybe $650K. I would invest about $500K of that into stodgy, reliable dividend stocks and reinvest dividends. We are in the 15% bracket so dividends and LTCG currently have 0% tax. I would not invest in bonds in a taxable account; if I needed more bond investment I would do so in my 401Ks and IRAs, and move stock investments to taxable accounts as appropriate. We have enough earned income that we could contribute to TIRAs, DW's 403B and my TSP to stay in the 15% bracket if we needed to. in order to make sure LTCGs and dividends remained untaxed.

The other $150K I would slowly burn as play money -- for vacations and travel primarily. We'd probably eat out more and tip very generously. And I'd use some of that over the years if I needed to make moves to keep taxes lower and stay on the right side of cliffs in the tax code as need be.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 03:56 PM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

I interpret the question as dealing with an EXTRA million on top of whatever resources one already has.

What I want most desperately from retirement is free time, not toys or travel or luxuries. So for me, such a windfall would instantly shave the remaining years off my glide path and I would want to retire right away.

I suspect DW would lobby to accelerate a few upgrades to the Mdlerth estate. It would not surprise me if she put a big dent in that pile, shaving an extra year back onto the glide path.

But I love her!
Old 12-27-2016, 03:57 PM   #46
Full time employment: Posting here.

I would figure out how to donate or help others with 25% of it. I have enjoyed opportunities to gift others. For the big tipping at restaurants mentioned by others, I have done this and it is great, I enjoy the reaction (even when they have the potential to get me in trouble with DW ).

I would then allocate 20% for "fun money", and invest the remaining 55% in 40% dividend focused broad stock fund/ETF/60% total bond market fund/ETF.
Old 12-27-2016, 04:36 PM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
I'm surprised there are not more splurges. C'mon...money with no tax consequences and it all goes into your AA?
Well, the thread is in the stock picking and market strategy forum....

For fun stuff with a bonus $1 mil, we're flying first class, starting early and taking our dog.

Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 04:44 PM   #48
Dryer sheet wannabe

110k towards a used Audi R8, 90k addition to Cash, 500k to current plan which is a mix of equity funds - and then 300k to my hobby account trading leveraged ETF's in Gold and Oil - it's was working great but I stopped in order to focus on work! But I do look forward to going back to that in ER...
Old 12-27-2016, 05:02 PM   #49

A little apartment in Paris after setting aside a bit for business class tickets too and from.
Old 12-27-2016, 05:42 PM   #50

I'm getting close to this in reality as my 96 year old father is getting pretty frail and is worth ~2.5M. Yeah, I know, never count on an inheritance but . . .

Anyway, 100K will go into a savings account to pay for about 10 years of vacation upgrades. The rest will go into my current AA of 60/40.
Old 12-27-2016, 05:53 PM   #51
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
That's a good one. I would love to turn the thermostat up to 68 from time to time.
Old 12-27-2016, 05:56 PM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

Retire immediately. Roof my house. Roof my convertible. Buy a scamp (camper), a big truck and hit the road!
Old 12-27-2016, 06:00 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
I'm surprised there are not more splurges. C'mon...money with no tax consequences and it all goes into your AA?
What splurge?

I am always envious of posters who said that they only lived off their stock dividends. With the S&P currently paying 2%, I would need a whole lot more than an additional $1M to be able to maintain my current expenses with 2% WR.

The only way I would indulge is to allow myself to draw 3.5%/year off that extra $1M. Surely, I can upgrade a few things in life with that extra $35K, and that's all I need. Maybe not even that much.
Old 12-27-2016, 06:00 PM   #54
Recycles dryer sheets

Ohhh you meant investment wise. With my current portfolio very heavy in stocks I would prob buy a jumbo cd or a cd ladder with 1/2 the mil and let the rest trickle into the stock market. And yes, I would pay off my house for the peace of mind.
Old 12-27-2016, 06:01 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Buy an SPIA with the $1 mil. At my current age it would pay $5144/mo for life. That + SS + investment income and I'm living pretty large.

Actually I just said this for the shock factor. I might buy a much smaller SPIA, buy a nicer SUV, allocate a little for travel and invest the rest.
Old 12-27-2016, 06:05 PM   #56

Buy a Cessna 172, fund 529's for our grandchildren,donate some to worthy charities, share some with our 4 sons, and do silly things with the rest.
Souschef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 06:07 PM   #57

I'd buy a 20 acre or so ranch in the Hill Country of Texas with a barn and horse corral and move there. Then, some day when the time is right, just give it all to my daughter. If there was any money left after the ranch purchase, I would by a new horse trailer, some tack, and a new truck.
Old 12-27-2016, 06:20 PM   #58

Maybe buy or rent a little hut next to a good private snorkel beach. Live happily ever after. Might do this regardless.
Old 12-27-2016, 06:27 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Maybe you only need two coconut trees, and not a whole hut.

Hey look! Someone managed to do with just one coconut tree.

Old 12-27-2016, 06:38 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

How about this hut?

Well, that might take too much work. Maybe this one. I don't see plumbing for toilet and running water though.