Join Early Retirement Today

What's going on with Gilead and biotech?
Old 01-29-2016, 07:52 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

GILD in the low $80's?

Is it time to take notice?

What are the smart option players doing with GILD?

A different strategy going forward?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2016, 08:58 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I was listening about this earlier in the morning with talking heads. Seems Merck is going to undercut them in pricing with a Hep C medicine. Im assuming this medicine for GILD was a cash cow and Merck can hurt them?
http://www.thestreet.com/story/13440...rug-price.html

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 09:37 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I've heard they are going down more but I did buy some in the last few weeks.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 01-29-2016, 09:42 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Weren't there a few posters here that were dabbling in GILD and working the options? I wonder what they are thinking.
Old 01-30-2016, 07:38 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I do not follow biotech enough to buy individual companies. I had a bit in a biotech ETF, then sold too soon in 2014 and left mucho money on the table.

Late in 2015, I made a bit of money shorting biotech. Recently, I went long and have been losing money.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 08:16 AM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

I am invested in Gilead. Current down turn relates to Merck introduction of competitive Hepatitis C drug what is going to slow Gilead revenue and change of Gilead leadership. Biotech is down due to some top politicians state the need for drugs cost control. DW is working about 1/2 of her carrier in biotech and knows how much it cost to develop a good, making real change drug. On the other hand health insurance companies want their profits go up.
VFK57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 08:32 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by VFK57 View Post
I am invested in Gilead. Current down turn relates to Merck introduction of competitive Hepatitis C drug what is going to slow Gilead revenue and change of Gilead leadership. Biotech is down due to some top politicians state the need for drugs cost control. DW is working about 1/2 of her carrier in biotech and knows how much it cost to develop a good, making real change drug. On the other hand health insurance companies want their profits go up.

Its funny how "the game is played" with consumers largely oblivious though we are the ones who ultimately pay. Actually from what I read its the pharmacy management services that try to put the squeeze on by raising deductibles on medicines that have generic equivalents to "guide" consumers to lower cost generics. Now, the higher cost "name brands" are offering coupons to consumers to rid themselves of the higher co-pay and get these higher priced meds at near generic prices. Thus, the health providers get stuck back with the cost again, as consumer does runaround to bypass the generic. A constant game of cat and mouse it appears on who gets stuck with the bill while the original drug company can still maintain higher profits from "off patent" drugs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 08:43 AM   #8

Major candidates of both parties have stated the willingness to let Medicare negotiate drug prices. The market is discounting the possibility by lowering stock prices.
jim584672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 09:47 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim584672 View Post
Major candidates of both parties have stated the willingness to let Medicare negotiate drug prices. The market is discounting the possibility by lowering stock prices.
Interesting, I would guess that pre-election speak by politicians is just that and to make something like that actually happen could end up being a very long process of rule making and approvals. I could see how the market could discount the presumption that in future years expensive drug prices could become less profitable.

It sounds like a bad time to be invested in biotech and large pharma companies in general unless you have a long term investing horizon. With the aging population, the health care industry is bound to be expanding in all areas, especially those that cater to seniors.
Old 01-30-2016, 09:49 AM   #10
gone traveling

I think biotech is going replace the banks as pinatas for the politicos

Moneygrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 10:03 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneygrubber View Post
I think biotech is going replace the banks as pinatas for the politicos

And then wait for the bailouts like they did for the banks!
Old 01-30-2016, 10:04 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I do not follow biotech enough to buy individual companies. I had a bit in a biotech ETF, then sold too soon in 2014 and left mucho money on the table.

Late in 2015, I made a bit of money shorting biotech. Recently, I went long and have been losing money.

Same here. I got scared and sold FBIOS too soon. Luckily I kept Vanguard health care fund. But I never thought I would see it down again to buy more. I did buy more in the last few weeks. Oh well, I'm thinking long term.

Old 01-30-2016, 10:24 AM   #13
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
And then wait for the bailouts like they did for the banks!

Lol

Moneygrubber is offline   Reply With Quote