What's going on with Gilead and biotech?

aja8888

Moderator Emeritus
GILD in the low $80's:confused:? :facepalm:

Is it time to take notice?

What are the smart option players doing with GILD?

A different strategy going forward?

I've heard they are going down more but I did buy some in the last few weeks.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Weren't there a few posters here that were dabbling in GILD and working the options? I wonder what they are thinking.

I do not follow biotech enough to buy individual companies. I had a bit in a biotech ETF, then sold too soon in 2014 and left mucho money on the table.

Late in 2015, I made a bit of money shorting biotech. Recently, I went long and have been losing money. :)

I am invested in Gilead. Current down turn relates to Merck introduction of competitive Hepatitis C drug what is going to slow Gilead revenue and change of Gilead leadership. Biotech is down due to some top politicians state the need for drugs cost control. DW is working about 1/2 of her carrier in biotech and knows how much it cost to develop a good, making real change drug. On the other hand health insurance companies want their profits go up.

I am invested in Gilead. Current down turn relates to Merck introduction of competitive Hepatitis C drug what is going to slow Gilead revenue and change of Gilead leadership. Biotech is down due to some top politicians state the need for drugs cost control. DW is working about 1/2 of her carrier in biotech and knows how much it cost to develop a good, making real change drug. On the other hand health insurance companies want their profits go up.

Its funny how "the game is played" with consumers largely oblivious though we are the ones who ultimately pay. Actually from what I read its the pharmacy management services that try to put the squeeze on by raising deductibles on medicines that have generic equivalents to "guide" consumers to lower cost generics. Now, the higher cost "name brands" are offering coupons to consumers to rid themselves of the higher co-pay and get these higher priced meds at near generic prices. Thus, the health providers get stuck back with the cost again, as consumer does runaround to bypass the generic. A constant game of cat and mouse it appears on who gets stuck with the bill while the original drug company can still maintain higher profits from "off patent" drugs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Major candidates of both parties have stated the willingness to let Medicare negotiate drug prices. The market is discounting the possibility by lowering stock prices.

Major candidates of both parties have stated the willingness to let Medicare negotiate drug prices. The market is discounting the possibility by lowering stock prices.

Interesting, I would guess that pre-election speak by politicians is just that and to make something like that actually happen could end up being a very long process of rule making and approvals. I could see how the market could discount the presumption that in future years expensive drug prices could become less profitable.

It sounds like a bad time to be invested in biotech and large pharma companies in general unless you have a long term investing horizon. With the aging population, the health care industry is bound to be expanding in all areas, especially those that cater to seniors.

I think biotech is going replace the banks as pinatas for the politicos

I do not follow biotech enough to buy individual companies. I had a bit in a biotech ETF, then sold too soon in 2014 and left mucho money on the table.

Late in 2015, I made a bit of money shorting biotech. Recently, I went long and have been losing money. :)

Same here. I got scared and sold FBIOS too soon. Luckily I kept Vanguard health care fund. But I never thought I would see it down again to buy more. I did buy more in the last few weeks. Oh well, I'm thinking long term.

Back
Top Bottom