Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-27-2010, 01:52 PM   #201
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
A blind allegiance to govt intervention in "fixing" every economic problem, along with a blatant disbelief of basic economic principles has not helped your cause.........
I guess an understanding that "Supply Side" remedies in the midst of a liquidity trap where the fed is already constrained by the zero bound is not only deflationary but is actually pro-cyclical counts as "blatant disbelief of basic economic principles."

But I guess the only "economic principle" I need to believe if I want to fit in around here is that government is always bad.

I like the "ignore" idea. I haven't used it yet, but maybe I should give it a whirl.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2010, 01:54 PM   #202
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone4Good View Post
I like the "ignore" idea. I haven't used it yet, but maybe I should give it a whirl.
The economics make sense- it's free!

Old 05-27-2010, 03:17 PM   #203
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westernskies View Post
...or 87 more years of detente.
Or until one of them points out that the other now has "silver threads among the gold."
Old 05-27-2010, 04:06 PM   #204
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
And they exchange gold rings?
Or shares in a precious metals fund
Old 05-27-2010, 04:09 PM   #205
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Or shares in a precious metals fund
I love it when a thread gets back to the basics, on topic.
Old 05-27-2010, 05:41 PM   #206
Give me a forum ...

I recently attended a fund raiser where people could sell unwanted gold jewelery with a % going to the cause. Many folks just made an outright donation if it was a small item like a single earring. The gold dealer was carefully checked out and gave a decent payment. The charity raised lots of money, the gold dealer made a reasonable profit and it was a win-win all round. This type of fund raiser has become very popular these days. Guess this is one upside to this whole gold thing.
Old 05-27-2010, 05:55 PM   #207
Give me a forum ...

So back on topic.
Physical Gold, Gold ETFs, Gold stocks, or should I steal gold jewelry to give G Gordon Liddy
Old 05-27-2010, 07:03 PM   #208
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone4Good View Post
But I guess the only "economic principle" I need to believe if I want to fit in around here is that government is always bad.
Only in certain neighborhoods, not the entirety of "around here". On my block, we like the government.
Old 05-27-2010, 07:21 PM   #209
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
On my block, we like the government.
We like the government on my block, too. All of us here in People's Apartment #37 tell our oblast leaders constantly how much we love the government.

I don't own any gold. DW wants to invest in the wearable kind.
Old 05-27-2010, 07:43 PM   #210
gone traveling

Quote:
Basically, I am still wondering whether to invest in gold or pay off the mortgage.
Old 05-27-2010, 08:18 PM   #211
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
We like the government on my block, too. All of us here in People's Apartment #37 tell our oblast leaders constantly how much we love the government.
Your day will come, Kulak.
Old 05-27-2010, 11:08 PM   #212
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
You mean gold threads?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg elvis_presley_on_stage.jpg (15.7 KB, 1 views)

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 06:06 AM   #213
Give me a forum ...

Gaga
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gaga.jpg (218.9 KB, 1 views)
Old 05-31-2010, 12:44 AM   #214
Recycles dryer sheets

hello to everyone that participated in this thread. i'm back after a loooong ban. i'll try to not get banned again. i had a lot that i was trying to share - but it ran afoul of the "rules".

what's ecouraging me about gold now - generally it's been an inverse dollar trade. the dollar has jumped in value (against other paper) lately - yet gold has held it's ground.

this will provide dry powder for dollar down/gold up action when the dollar falls against the other paper. it's in the high side of it's range right now - as people are running away from the euro drama.
Old 05-31-2010, 02:23 AM   #215
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by endthefed View Post
hello to everyone that participated in this thread. i'm back after a loooong ban. i'll try to not get banned again. i had a lot that i was trying to share - but it ran afoul of the "rules".

what's ecouraging me about gold now - generally it's been an inverse dollar trade. the dollar has jumped in value (against other paper) lately - yet gold has held it's ground.

this will provide dry powder for dollar down/gold up action when the dollar falls against the other paper. it's in the high side of it's range right now - as people are running away from the euro drama.

AHHHHH.... so that's why you were not posting... some thought you had left because of not liking what other posted...

Glad to see that you will be trying to not get banned again... also, read what people have written... it is your delivery that seem to be the main problem... but hey, I could be wrong...
Old 05-31-2010, 06:29 AM   #216
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
There are those that believe that if you are not, at least, "warned" by the Moderators every now and again, you are not using the Forum properly. In any event, you should be more concerned with the feedback from the civilians -- you will learn more.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 06:37 AM   #217
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
There are, of course, other opinions worth considering:

The Coming Bubble of 2010, and How to Avoid It

I particularly liked:

Quote:
Warren Buffett once quipped:
It gets dug out of the ground. ... Then we melt it down, dig another hole, bury it again and pay people to stand around guarding it. It has no utility. Anyone watching from Mars would be scratching their head.
In any event:

Quote:
Truth be told, the only way to get the price of gold to rise is to get other investors to buy into the idea -- like a giant Ponzi scheme. And as we know from watching the unraveling of Bernie Madoff's empire, that can't last forever
or

Quote:
Perhaps the most damning fact is that, from 1833 through 2005, gold and inflation had nearly perfect correlation, according to Forbes. This means that, after taxes, you would have actually lost money in gold
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 06:53 AM   #218
Give me a forum ...

Fears Rise in Europe over Potential for Deflation

Maybe our esteemed OP can reconcile deflation with excessive money creation.
Old 05-31-2010, 07:21 AM   #219
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
There are, of course, other opinions worth considering:
Another opinion is that the recent run-up in gold is based on the fear of future inflation, not actual inflation; it is based on the fear of money creation, not actual money creation. If at some point that fear doesn't become reality, then the price of gold will look like Wile E. Coyote (Super Genius).

The gold story starts with a few facts and then jumps into speculation. It begins with the fact that global central banks took unprecedented action in cutting interest rates and expanding reserves. The facts kind of end there. The speculation is that eventually the monetary and fiscal stimulus works and those reserves get multiplied into money. Naturally, in this telling, global central banks sit on their hands as inflation rages out of control. In some versions central banks not only sit on their hands but abandon all independence and aggressively monetize sovereign debt turning high inflation into hyperinflation. According to many versions this worse case scenario is not only a base-case, it is "inevitable" . . . Zimbabwe here we come!

But actual events aren't playing out according to script. Inflation is still trending downward. Meanwhile pressure is building globally to reign in federal deficits and several governments are taking concrete action. These austerity steps will further reduce the demand for money, which will continue to retard money creation through normal channels. The E.C.B. refuses to compensate (the recent bond purchases were sterilized) even as several of its members plunge toward depression. In the U.S. all the talk at the Fed is over "normalizing" policy, raising rates and liquidating assets. Individual States are slashing budgets. And even the large amount of federal borrowing has been entirely offset by a decline in private borrowing.

In 2008 all the forces of government were used to stop the financial collapse, with good effect. Now those forces are starting to be thrown into reverse at a time when inflation trends are still heading downward . . . Japan here we come!

Oh, and a final message to Wile E. . . . look out below.
Old 05-31-2010, 07:50 AM   #220
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:

If it has generally been an inverse dollar trade, would that not indicate that there is downward pressure on gold?
In other words, that it will, sooner or later, revert to it's long term trend?