Which fund?

jnojr

Recycles dryer sheets
My 401(k) is discontinuing the emerging markets fund I'm in now, and I have to make all future contributions to another. I don't know if I have to sell out of the current fund, but I will, and dump it into the new fund.

My three choices are:

American Funds EuroPacific Growth R4 Fund - their Morningstar

Oppenheimer Developing Markets A Fund - their Morningstar

T. Rowe Price New America Growth Adv Fund - their Morningstar ( This one I cannot find on troweprice.com - weird! )

Which would you lean towards, and why?

I'll probably pass on PAWAX, as it's mainly US stocks, and I'm already very heavy on US stocks... this is my international exposure.

Of the other two, at a glance, REREX charges less in fees. But it also seems to be a little more conservative.

I have used the Am Fund Euro Pac R5 for a number of years. While a 0.55%Er it closely matches the R4 fund you mentioned. I like the fact that it covers the bases for a foreign stock fund with excellent performance. My DW uses the Vanguard Total International Fund to complement this holding.

If you are looking to replace your existing emerging market selection, the Oppenheimer Developing Markets fund is a fine choice for emerging market portion of your portfolio.

Something tells me your share class (and expenses) will be similar no matter which option you choose, so don't get all caught up in the internet research. Take a look at the prospectus and/or ask your plan provider for the information about share class and/or expenses (sometimes is nearly impossible to find the 401k class info on the retail websites...and don't assume that it's always advisor class).

Last edited:
If you are looking to replace your existing emerging market selection, the Oppenheimer Developing Markets fund is a fine choice for emerging market portion of your portfolio.

Something tells me your share class (and expenses) will be similar no matter which option you choose, so don't get all caught up in the internet research. Take a look at the prospectus and/or ask your plan provider for the information about share class and/or expenses (sometimes is nearly impossible to find the 401k class info on the retail websites...and don't assume that it's always advisor class).

I agree with TN- if the objective is to stay within the same investment style, the best choice is the Oppenheimer fund. EuroPacific is great but last time I looked it was 70% developed int'l and 30% emerging.

Back
Top Bottom