Which to Buy: Stocks or Vacation House?

2. the loss of flexibilty in planning future vacations - how often do you want to go to the same holiday destination?
I didn't ever own a vacation home, but I did live for several years at the beach in CA. The only thing that could get me to leave was someone died and I had to attend the funeral.

And of course eventually I got marrried and she wanted to leave. :facepalm:

Ha

We had a vacation home in Sunriver, about 20 miles south of Bend, Oregon. It is a marvelous place all seasons. It was a small house in a condo development, a 'Ranch Cabin."

Sunriver is a very popular vacation development in central Oregon. We put the cabin in a rental pool which significantly offset the cost of purchase and was more than enough to pay for maintenance & taxes. We sold it when the kids started college for a tidy profit.

What we learned is that as kids grow up weekends are consumed by athletics and Scouting. Driving 4 hours from Portland to Sunriver with a car full of kids is nerve-racking. And, as they grow older, we wanted them to have a variety of experiences. The fact that our cabin was essentially booked all summer and most ski weekends justified our keeping it.

I haven't talked to Sunriver rental agencies recently but my last conversation with them was that the big houses rented the best. We stayed in one a couple years ago and I noticed that they experiance a lot of wear and tear. Purchasers should rent a property they might buy for a week first.

Several couples in my building own vacation homes/condos on the Oregon coast. They can get there in about an hour and a half from Portland and they have children, grandchildren who also use it. As I listen to their coast house stories I notice that they started with a grand house, found it was more than they needed and downsized.

Back
Top Bottom