Join Early Retirement Today

Which Vanguard fund
Old 09-19-2008, 09:41 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Which Vanguard fund

would you purchase Monday for maximum return as a long term investment.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2008, 09:59 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

It's impossible to answer this - there are too many unspecified variables. For example, what's your risk tolerance? What model for the future evolution of American and world economies do you prefer? Do you believe that the assumptions that have served the 'mature' economies well for the past 220 years (with a few blips along the way) are sustainable? If not, when do we 'jump the shark' as the accumulated weight of our foolish unsustainable activities becomes too great to bear?

If you believe that the past is perfectly prologue, then all you have to do is scan the universe of VG funds and pick the one that has performed best over your time frame of interest.

Good luck!

Old 09-19-2008, 10:19 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Just wait till Monday and see what the market is doing. Whether you purchase the fund in the AM or the afternoon you still pay the closing price at 4 PM. So see what's happeing during the day and make your decission after 3PM but before 4PM.
Old 09-19-2008, 10:46 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Tough question without more information. Vanguard Energy will probably be one of the highest, if not THE highest return for the longer term. But I dont think I'd buy it on Monday...I think I'd wait until oil finishes going down.

For something thats been punched hard in the face this year but should be great long term, either the International Value or Intl Growth funds are good choices.

For something that hasnt taken too much of a beating, offers good diversity, and will probably do very well in the long haul, the Extended Market index.

Or just the plain old Total Stock Market. Hell, its beaten all the similar American funds over the last 15 years. And its cheap!
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 11:42 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Total Stock Market. Hell, its beaten all the similar American funds over the last 15 years. And its cheap!
<pirate>Arrrr</pirate>, I think CFB is attempting to derail the thread with yet another Vanguard versus American funds fight.

And just to not be left out of the thread - I recommend purchasing VISVX Monday and holding it for 10-20 years.
Old 09-20-2008, 09:01 AM   #6

I'd probably go with Vanguard Total Stock Market. It may not give you maximum return, but you'll beat at least one-half or more of all funds over the long term. I'm not prejudiced against other index funds, it's just that I have all of my assets with Vanguard.

No one can predict what will be the best fund to buy for the long term, but at least you can be rest assured that you won't end up in the bottom quadrant of the universe of mutual funds.

--Henry David Thoreau
Retire Soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 11:05 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retire Soon View Post
I'd probably go with Vanguard Total Stock Market. It may not give you maximum return, but you'll beat at least one-half or more of all funds over the long term. I'm not prejudiced against other index funds, it's just that I have all of my assets with Vanguard.

Total Stock Market is what I had in mind.
Just fishing for opinions.
Old 09-20-2008, 11:13 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

VG Energy is a fave of mine for very long term. Mine is in a Roth so i get the tax advantage there.
VG Total Stock Market, coupled with Total Bond Market if you need that diversifer, are two excellent choices.
as far as buying it Monday goes, if you can time the market, let us all know that secret. j/k
Old 09-20-2008, 11:25 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I'd couple the TSM with the short term investment grade fund right now. Rates will eventually be headed up and the TBM will take a few bad dips when that happens. I dont think theres a whole lot of benefit to taking a slight return advantage coupled with a much higher risk component.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 09-20-2008, 12:10 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida View Post
Sounds to me like a market timing question Florida. I would invest on Monday only if that was part of my overall investment plan (IPS). Since it is not, I will just sleep in.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 01:18 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
Sounds to me like a market timing question Florida. I would invest on Monday only if that was part of my overall investment plan (IPS). Since it is not, I will just sleep in.
Time to DCA some sideline money.
Old 09-20-2008, 03:57 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida View Post
For max return I'd go with the SCV index fund or the EM index fund. Those are the most risky in my book so they may not deliver the highest return.
Old 09-20-2008, 08:17 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

I started my wife's 403b with one of the Targeted Date retirement funds. It's only down 8% since we started it last year!

Only down 8%!! Wow, and that seems good. It's probably one of my best performing funds.
Old 09-20-2008, 08:23 PM   #14
Administrator

Another vote for Vanguard Total Stock Market Index, VTSMX, given a goal of long term gains.

https://personal.vanguard.com/us/JSP...NT#hist::tab=0

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 02:15 PM   #15

x * Total Stock Index +
y * Total International Index +
z * Total Bond Index

Pick x,y,z to suit your risk profile.
Old 09-21-2008, 02:36 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
x * Total Stock Index +
y * Total International Index +
z * Total Bond Index

Pick x,y,z to suit your risk profile.
or buy something like VASGX

Top 10 Holdings
  1. Vanguard Total Stk Market Idx Fd Inc 49.94%
  2. Vanguard Asset Allocation 25.01%
  3. Vanguard Total Intl Stock Index 15.04%
  4. Vanguard Total Bond Market Index 10.01%
Old 09-21-2008, 03:18 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

You've gotta love a fund that can run from a 60/40 to an 85/15 between one day and the next.
Old 09-22-2008, 09:13 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
You've gotta love a fund that can run from a 60/40 to an 85/15 between one day and the next.
Actually it would be 65/10/25 (stocks/bonds/cash) to 90/10/0, depending on the 25% in VAAPX.

https://personal.vanguard.com/us/JSP...NT#hist::tab=0
Quote:
Uses a computer model to evaluate expected returns and risks of stocks, bonds, and money market securities, and to recommend changes in allocation among them as expectations shift.
[from the Semiannual Report 03/31/2008, it is available from the link above]
Quote:
Still, although the Asset Allocation Fund can play an important role in your portfolio, it is not designed to be a core holding. When it is allocated 100% to stocks, you have no exposure to bonds. And the fund’s stock component, though diversified, is focused on larger U.S. companies, so it does not offer you exposure to smaller capitalization stocks or international stocks.
Also, when the fund includes a bond allocation, it typically invests only in long-term U.S. Treasuries. Therefore, the fund is best suited as just one part of a well-balanced portfolio that
features holdings across all parts of the stock and bond markets.
Old 09-22-2008, 09:43 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

It wouldnt go to a full 90% because each of the index funds holds ~2-3% in cash as a result of inflows and cash buffering for outflows.

The AA fund also RARELY goes into large amounts of cash and when it does allocate a portion to cash, its for a short period of time.
Old 09-23-2008, 01:06 PM   #20

That Asset Allocation fund is something else. The current allocation is 100% stock -- which seems strange given the 1st goal and the current economic climate.

Goals are:
  • Seeks to maximize long-term total return (share price growth plus income) while incurring less stock market risk than a fund made up entirely of stocks.
  • Follows a tactical asset allocation strategy.
  • Uses a computer model to evaluate expected returns and risks of stocks, bonds, and money market securities, and to recommend changes in allocation among them as expectations shift.
Yet it's behind the TSM in YTD, 1, 3, 5, and 10 year performance. Maybe they need to work on their computer model.