Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-30-2014, 11:27 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I am a bit sad that I sold part of my Apple *before* the earnings blowout and split but I bought into Gilead sub $70 and it is $77 today heading for $130 so all is not lost.

Wish I had bought Gilead a few years ago instead of Apple. Would have a few thousand % gain...

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2014, 11:43 AM   #22

I kinda wish I had throw my whole $175K HELOC into Apple back in early 2005. That would have bought 3950 shares at $44.30 per share. And it would currently be worth about $2.36M, and paying out $51,982 per year in dividends.

Oh well, hindsight is always 20/20. And I'm sure I would've been panicking in 2008, as AAPL plummeted from $200 per share down to around $100.

Old 04-30-2014, 02:36 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre1969 View Post
I kinda wish I had throw my whole $175K HELOC into Apple back in early 2005. That would have bought 3950 shares at $44.30 per share. And it would currently be worth about $2.36M, and paying out $51,982 per year in dividends.

Oh well, hindsight is always 20/20. And I'm sure I would've been panicking in 2008, as AAPL plummeted from $200 per share down to around $100.
Therein lies the problem. Investment decisions should not be made on emotions, especially that of fear or greed. If the investment is too big (as a % of your net worth), you will panic out at the wrong time and/or get too greedy.

I too wish that I had bought a s__t load of AAPL in 2000, but if so would I have held it? Or, would I have been pushed out of it at some inopportune time?

When I bought the stock, it was because of a few reasons:
1. Everyone thought they were going to be finished off by Microsoft, but I thought Jobs coming back could result in some new stuff.
2.Their use of a superior processor (Power PC) that they would hold their own (i.e. not go to zero market share) in the PC marketplace, especially for certain application segments.
3. They had a bunch of cash, about $13/share (stock was at $19). Not just plant and equipment, or "goodwill", but in fact CASH. I figured that they could afford to keep going for quite a while, even with a diminished market share in the PC marketplace.
Old 06-07-2014, 09:36 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

CHAMPAGNE BOTTLE!!!!!!!

Oh, wait……..

I logged in to our Fidelity account today to discover our net worth had jumped by $2M! What?!?!?

They have given us the Apple split shares (multiply by 7), but still with the closing price on Friday!

WOW!

But the extra $2M will vanish at market open on Monday.

Still, in the meantime we can enjoy the bump.

Audrey
Old 06-07-2014, 09:46 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
CHAMPAGNE BOTTLE!!!!!!!

Oh, wait……..

I logged in to our Fidelity account today to discover our net worth had jumped by $2M! What?!?!?

They have given us the Apple split shares (multiply by 7), but still with the closing price on Friday!

WOW!

But the extra $2M will vanish at market open on Monday.

Still, in the meantime we can enjoy the bump.

Audrey
Same thing happened to us, except only $1M. Same thing happened when Mastercard split. Easy come, easy go. Sure messes up our net worth graphs on personal capital's website though.
Old 06-07-2014, 10:42 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

This is our first 7:1 split. We've had a few splits, but never that high.
Old 06-07-2014, 02:14 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Ameritrade must be more sophisticated. My account shows the post split # but has the last at $92.22.

Sent from my TURBO DG2014 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 06-07-2014, 02:18 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by copyright1997reloaded View Post
Ameritrade must be more sophisticated. My account shows the post split # but has the last at $92.22.

Looks like they just changed it, because I too have Ameritrade. This morning they were showing the old price with new shares (and large gains!!).
Old 06-07-2014, 02:18 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
We were PC holdouts in spite of our holding of Apple for over ten years. But we now have an iPhone and an iPad (along with an Samsung and a PC). I must say that I prefer the Apple approach to making everything simple and connected. The Android will be the first to go.

I love the fact that the Photostream is automatically connected to my PC through iCloud. I am sure Android users have been able to replicate this functionality but it is all automatic for us.
Old 06-07-2014, 03:01 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by copyright1997reloaded View Post

A split is a multi stage process. It's not surprising of the different point in time observations. My Fidelity account now shows the correct totals, the detail is incorrect. I've seen the transfer agent side of a split, never realized the brokers would need to coordinate. They have to, there's GTC orders, limits etc. that have to be adjusted.
MRG
Old 06-07-2014, 07:03 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaMan View Post
I don't own AAPL (I wish I did), but I am surprised that nobody here is mentioning Samsung. Just returned from a trip to Asia and it seems that everyone now is dumping their iPhones to switch to Samsung, and only a few years ago everyone there wanted an iPhone.
Samsung is an amazing company, and are actually more dominant now than Apple outside the US (including Europe) in nearly every consumer category.

I only realized this last year, but as it turns out I have the following appliances from Samsung: TV, microwave, DVD player, laptop and phone.

All were thoroughly researched items and bought in a period of 7+ years without regard for the brand. Only the washing machine is Miele

In the phone area they basically make IPhones for 30% less, and you have a more open ecosystem with Android.

You'll never know which way the wind blows though. Apple might continue expanding or fall down again, and hard. They are no Intel with a strategic moat of billions of dollars in R&D. They will face margin erosion and hardball competition also from China. Technology is a brutal game.
Old 06-07-2014, 08:52 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totoro View Post
Samsung is an amazing company, and are actually more dominant now than Apple outside the US (including Europe) in nearly every consumer category.

I only realized this last year, but as it turns out I have the following appliances from Samsung: TV, microwave, DVD player, laptop and phone.

All were thoroughly researched items and bought in a period of 7+ years without regard for the brand. Only the washing machine is Miele

In the phone area they basically make IPhones for 30% less, and you have a more open ecosystem with Android.

You'll never know which way the wind blows though. Apple might continue expanding or fall down again, and hard. They are no Intel with a strategic moat of billions of dollars in R&D. They will face margin erosion and hardball competition also from China. Technology is a brutal game.
Apple's margins are three times Samsung's on higher price points. They have fortress control of their ecosystem. Time will tell; I don't always judge a technology company by its fundamentals, but when I do, I prefer the one with the smartest business model. Stay wealthy, my friend.
Old 06-07-2014, 09:29 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Vanguard had a message that there could be some problems with balances etc. because of Apple.... I decided to take a look with the other comments and was surprised on what I saw...

I see the new number of shares... I see the old prices.... and I also see the correct valuation... IOW, they did not multiply the new shares and old price...

I think that I will see a problem with gain (or loss) on Monday...
Old 06-08-2014, 10:19 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Samsung is introducing their own OS to compete with iOS. Why do you think they are doing that?
Old 06-09-2014, 12:14 PM   #35

I logged onto our brokerage account and noticed a $20K gain for the day, which was really unusual. Yeah, it was apple. They had the right post-split share price and # shares but somehow the daily change got distorted. I wasn't able to reconstruct the math to get to the change for the day but hey, I'm happy.
Old 07-07-2014, 11:06 AM   #36

I've long since last fall, made some quick money and still long. Expecting positive news with iphone 6.
Old 07-08-2014, 01:52 PM   #37
Full time employment: Posting here.

I bought some last June, when it was trading around $400. I figured that I'd sell the shares after a year so it'd be a long term gain. But I haven't sold yet, since I'm not sure where I'd put the money. I also think that the stock could break $100.
Old 07-08-2014, 07:31 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Just sold some of what I bought last year.... took out all my profits for the year and left the original amount invested to see what happens...

Got out close to the daily high... if it decides to take a big dip I might put this money back into it and see what happens....