Join Early Retirement Today

Who else in long AAPL and breaking out the champagne bottle ?
Old 04-28-2014, 02:54 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Who else in long AAPL and breaking out the champagne bottle ?

What a move these last four days, has had a big impact on YTD results.

Looks like smooth sailing to 630 (90 post split) to me.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2014, 03:17 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I just sold the shares I bought early last year: Current thoughts on Apple and where it might go?. So I am breaking out the champagne, but for different reasons. Truth is AAPL was never a good fit for my investment strategy based on stalwart dividend payers. I am glad I made money with this trade, but I'll redeploy the profits elsewhere.

Old 04-28-2014, 03:18 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

What happened last Wednesday night?
Old 04-28-2014, 03:47 PM   #4
Dryer sheet wannabe

The new Intel..........nice divy & lower growth
Old 04-28-2014, 04:50 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm still holding my first set of shares I bought back in 2000 after the bubble burst. I've bought and sold others since then. I've also got a batch that I bought after it dropped from 702 to 608, and thought it was a great buying opportunity.

On the whole though, Apple is helping me retire a couple of years earlier than I otherwise would have. I expect to sell most of what I have left when I'm in a transition where I will pay 0% LTCG tax.
Old 04-28-2014, 04:52 PM   #6

Bought in below 500 when it tanked over the last year-plus (didn't get in sub-400, and didn't have money to buy it pre-iPod when I really wanted to!!), but sticking with it long. we'll see how that does, but it's only about 3% of my total portfolio, so...
Old 04-28-2014, 08:39 PM   #7

I bought Apple twice, both times for the dividend (2.50 and then again 2.70). Not a spectacular dividend, but I figured (hoped) Apple would raise the dividend considering all the money they had just lying around. I bought it at $476. and again at $399.
Old 04-28-2014, 09:03 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
What happened last Wednesday night?
They announced a 7:1 stock split and an 8% dividend increase. Plus earnings and revenue well exceeded expectations and they are increasing buy backs.
Old 04-28-2014, 09:32 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
They announced a 7:1 stock split and an 8% dividend increase. Plus earnings and revenue well exceeded expectations and they are increasing buy backs.
These are good things, right?
Old 04-28-2014, 11:50 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
These are good things, right?
Uh, yeah, that's why the stock jumped $40 last Thursday.
Old 04-29-2014, 03:36 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

As mentioned, outsized impact on my account (was way, way overweighted AAPL). Nice when it goes your way.

Old 04-29-2014, 11:59 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

I bought in at 400 and 450 a little while ago. Sold a bit when it bounced back over 450. I plan to hold the rest long term and collect some nice dividends as they increase over time. This is one of my few individual stock positions and is only 1/2% of my portfolio.
Old 04-29-2014, 12:03 PM   #13

I cashed out an option spread yesterday that I had been holding for a couple of months. I was long June $500 calls and short May $530 calls. I had paid $19 for the spread and was able to cash it out early for $30 because of the time premium on the June calls. Over 50% return in a couple of months, but it was only a few ten thousand. Enough to buy 30 or 40 Iphones I guess.
Old 04-30-2014, 07:04 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Originally bought in at a split-adjusted $8, sold all at $72, bought back half (300 shares) at $52. Still holding as part of dividend portfolio.
Old 04-30-2014, 08:01 AM   #15

I initially bought back in early 2005, around the $88.60 mark, and soon after it did a 2:1 split. So, effectively, $44.30. Since then, I've bought more as it dipped, sold a bit as it went up, lather rinse repeat, so I don't know, off the top of my head, what my overall cost basis is right now.

Still, I'm happy with what it's been doing. My plan had been to sell off a bit if it went to around $575, buy a bit if it dropped below $500, but at the rate it's going, I might hold off on selling until after the split.
Old 04-30-2014, 08:47 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Still sitting with half of my modest position bought Dec 2000 (cost approximately $10/share), and added a bit 1/23/13 @ 455.

I love it when I have an investment whose annual dividend is greater than my initial investment!
Old 04-30-2014, 09:23 AM   #17
Full time employment: Posting here.

I don't own AAPL (I wish I did), but I am surprised that nobody here is mentioning Samsung. Just returned from a trip to Asia and it seems that everyone now is dumping their iPhones to switch to Samsung, and only a few years ago everyone there wanted an iPhone. Those I have talked to who have used both now prefer Samsung. Tablets that are also phones, phones with apps that also work as remotes for their TVs, new camera with wireless transfer to phone. I don't use either so I don't know from personal experience, but I would worry long term about Apple with so much competition in their most profitable area. They will need new products to provide continued growth and without Steve Jobs I wonder from where will it come. As long as the market is strong I would guess their growth could continue, but after the next market break I worry they could become the next Microsoft, stable but not stellar. But then again I am usually wrong about these sorts of things.
Old 04-30-2014, 09:50 AM   #18

A better comparison would be Nokia. Top of the world and worth hundreds of billions of dollars in 2006, fast forward to 2012 and they are $2 a share (rebounded some now).
Old 04-30-2014, 09:54 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaMan View Post
They will need new products to provide continued growth and without Steve Jobs I wonder from where will it come.
They'll come from where they've always come from:

Jonathan Ive - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 04-30-2014, 10:45 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by copyright1997reloaded View Post
Still sitting with half of my modest position bought Dec 2000 (cost approximately $10/share), and added a bit 1/23/13 @ 455.

I love it when I have an investment whose annual dividend is greater than my initial investment!
Yeah, that must be a pretty sweet feeling! In my case, Apple's dividend is about 29.7% of my initial investment. I have some shares of Cedar Fair (FUN), that I bought for around $7/share back in 2009. Currently paying about $2.80, so that's a 32.8% return. Not too shabby I guess.