Join Early Retirement Today

Who prefers individual stocks and why?
Old 05-25-2013, 11:23 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Who prefers individual stocks and why?

Hi, curious, never bought an individual stock. Started with mutual funds, stopped and now only EFT's', long or short. Historical data indicates investor's who buy the market, DOW, S&P, etc., do better than those buying stocks. It costs less as well.
rjohnla is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2013, 11:40 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

I've done well with them in my Roth - have bought dividend stocks w value and or growth. The plan is never to withdraw from this as I would like to leave it to my niece (I'm 55 and a year or so away from RE).
WestLake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 11:49 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

I prefer them in my regular brokerage account, they're easier to manage the taxes compared to mutual funds, When I need to sell something, I can take LT gains. I can also donate appreciated shares. It's not for everyone, you have to pick 4-5 stocks and be wiling to do your own research
chasesfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 12:01 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

I like your strategy with taxes at LT. Many times since I will move in / out in ST and get taxed at my marginal rate (ouch). Absolutely agree with number of stocks, would go a little higher maybe, but absolutely no more than 10-12. Last, yes, those who take the time to do their own research, and know what their doing, will likely beat the market. I use technical indicators and look for ST and MT trends, time markets, but only with small percentage of net worth and it is high risk speculative investing, but high returns as well, if I'm right.... (the rest is saved, not invested)
Old 05-25-2013, 12:37 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I agree, the other great thing is locking in profits , or avoiding losses. I can move in or out immediately, yes it costs the commision, but that can be inexpenisve.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 12:59 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I gave up on individual stocks when I wanted to heavily diversify internationally. I'm not going to do all that work for developed international and EM stocks.
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 01:10 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

I read the thread and thought I'd clarify - 20% of my investments are in my taxable account and individual stocks. 8 stocks in my holdings currently.
chasesfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 01:47 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

I have always held individual stocks. Costs are low, no trading cost on my account but now a $6 document fee per trade as long as I don't do more than 10 trades a month. I follow a newsletter which matches my investment style. I do it for the low costs, since I buy and hold, plus I can control tax consequences when I sell.
Old 05-25-2013, 02:18 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Hi bssc, just thinking about what you wrote. I have subscribed to a couple of investment newsletters (Weiss, Dent), mostly for commentary. I find it hard to put their model portfolio's together. To clarify, it is stated X stock in portfolio had a 20% gain, listed as "buy". Why would someone buy a stock that just went up 20%, what is the probability of that continuing?
Old 05-25-2013, 03:18 PM   #10
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Individual stocks can fund retirement similar to an IRA or 401k, sometimes even better: you pay no tax until you choose to. Here's how: buy a non-dividend-paying growth stock such as BRKB, hold it into retirement, and you'll pay tax only when you sell, and then not at ordinary rate (like would will for an IRA) but rather at the typically lower capital gain rate.
GrayHare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 03:30 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Given OP's prosecutor-like structure to the question, I would say that I must like individual stocks because I am deluded and /or stupid.

Ha
Old 05-25-2013, 04:20 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Hi haha, I guess I am OP? - means, new to site? Perhaps? The question was just for discussion, and being curious, as I know many people buy individual stocks. As a technical vs. fundamental market analyst both which are based on various theories. Therefore, I look at aggregate numbers and trends, patterns, crowd psychology, etc. But, After research I had to abandon fundamental analysis as the underlying theories required that many factors present not be considered for the theory to work, e.g., Markowitz Theory, which represents the majority of investment style: Diversify, Buy & Hold Long Term. As for my writing, well that comes for some 25+ years as a regulatory compliance officer, working in legal department; not a lawyer. I do not know you, so would have no rational basis to believe you deluded and /or stupid. I would think you can rationally explain your investment strategy.
Old 05-25-2013, 06:11 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjohnla View Post
Hi, curious, never bought an individual stock. Started with mutual funds, stopped and now only EFT's', long or short. Historical data indicates investor's who buy the market, DOW, S&P, etc., do better than those buying stocks. It costs less as well.

Hello, rjohnla (and everyone)...

I don't mean to reopen this can of worms, but since you asked, I only invest in individual high-dividend stocks and individual high-yield bonds.

And here is the can of worms.

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ing-64532.html

Cheers,

Alex in Virginia
Old 05-25-2013, 06:41 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Hi Alex, ok, I looked a the link, no attacks, well maybe slight attacked - just kidding. There definitely is something to be said for buying stocks with consistent high dividend payout, they may not have the capital gain of a coming re-investing for growth, because they are solid large companies with strong brands or non-discretionary products - pharmaceutical companies. And look large global companies, the realign ones, one has so much cash reserves it bought a bank to put it in. As far as bonds, well individual investment grade bonds I'll go with. Probably issued by the same companies with consistent high stock dividends. I like your yield. Just wonder if you've looked at it on a risk adjusted basis? Happy Returns!
Old 05-25-2013, 06:47 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjohnla View Post
Hi haha, I guess I am OP? - means, new to site? Perhaps? The question was just for discussion, and being curious, as I know many people buy individual stocks. ...
OP means "Original Post" or "Original Poster", just a shorthand way to refer to the start of the thread or the person who started the thread.

As far as his response, if you look at the way you worded the 'question', I think you will understand. Paraphrasing, ' Funds/ETFs perform better and cost less, so tell me why you buy individual issues ' , is kind of like saying 'Since they perform better and are cheaper, you must be deluded/stupid to buy individual issues.'

I kinda missed it, as the title was self-explanatory, I just skimmed the actual post. But if you really want to post a question (many seem to post in question form, but are just looking for validation), then leave it open ended. Maybe something like:

' I see some advantages to ETFs/Funds, such as diversification and low fees. What are the pros/cons of individual issues? '

will come across as not being pre-determined.

As for myself, well, the pros of individual issues has been covered. You can be more flexible with cap gains/losses. If you feel you have some special insight, you can be more specific. For me, those advantages are not that great, so I'm mostly funds/ETFs. For others, they could be the right choice. But if you don't have the motivation/skills to analyze individual issues, I think you are better off with broad index ETFs/Funds.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 06:55 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

I'm not keen on individual stocks. While I have a financial background, I don't have any interest in devoting the time needed to do a credible job of researching a company - I just have better things to do. Also, the volatility of individual stocks would not be to my liking but I suppose if I had enough different issues/industries to be well diversified that might be less of a concern.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 07:04 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
As for myself, well, the pros of individual issues has been covered. You can be more flexible with cap gains/losses.
I have no problem with mutual funds with regard to cap gains/losses and giving shares to charity. I've always used "specific ID" when selling shares to reduce taxes and to tax-loss harvest. It don't matter to me whether they are stock shares, mutual fund shares, or ETF shares. Shares is shares.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 07:13 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Hi ERD50, Thanks for the explanation and suggestion about posting. Yes, that is what I meant to come across, have a tendency to 'write with assumption' sometimes. Historic data does indicate that overall an investor that buy's the market does better than investor buying individual stocks. I also agree doing the analysis to pick such stocks requires a lot of research, understanding and some skill. People do it though. I read recently that Buffett made most his / the money on around 10-12 stocks. For me, to be more exact, some may say market timing and going long /short with technical's, patterns, etc., is high risk investing. It takes, I guess, the same amount of effort as to pick a good stock. Earlier in a thread I said it was speculative funds only and small percent of total assets, can afford to lose it. The vast majority is not invested, rather "saved", T-bill funds, A rated bank accounts, CD's - very low risk of capital loss. So net very conservative for now. So it was meant to be an open discussion about what people thought. On a percentage basis, for me, it is not critical at all, so theory discussion intended. Sorry for the misunderstanding if it you understood it differently. Did enjoy reading what you were doing and why and experience. Cheers!

p.s. ERD50, think that is one major reason I want to ER, after 26+ years of regulatory compliance, analysis, decisions (if wrong, violated regulations) explaining and writing, it's taken it's toll and what I do, write, say, maybe comes across too abrasive? People come to me and want answers or to solve regulatory issues - generally I'm not the guy with the job who people 'enjoy' contacting, or having me contact them. Investment theory is a personal and enjoyable interest for me.
Old 05-25-2013, 07:52 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Hey All, just read name of forum again. Think my next post will be: "Do You Think Security Analysis is Based on Theory or Fact?" Please no......(to me).
Old 05-25-2013, 08:46 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
I have no problem with mutual funds with regard to cap gains/losses and giving shares to charity. I've always used "specific ID" when selling shares to reduce taxes and to tax-loss harvest. It don't matter to me whether they are stock shares, mutual fund shares, or ETF shares. Shares is shares.
True. What I was thinking is, say you had 30 stocks, and let's say on average they followed the market pretty closely. Probably some would be up, some down, so you could realize a loss or a gain if you needed. But with an ETF that matched the market, you would have to go with what it was (up/down/flat).

OK, you might have ETF shares purchased at different times, and that would give you some choice. But I think on average, 30 stocks would provide more flexibility. It may or may not be significant, but it's something to think about.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote