Join Early Retirement Today

Why adjust your AA when you have won the game?
Old 12-15-2016, 05:54 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

So as I get ready to do my once a year rebalance, I like to take the time to reevaluate my AA strategy and investigate any better "mouse traps". As usual, the 2 sides of my brain have a little debate. The logical side looks at historical returns and does a boring conservative analysis that generally says stay the course or perhaps even consider get more conservative because the data will support the more conservative returns with less risk. OTOH, my "I can do better than that" nature and "bond returns look like sh!t" mind set says get more aggressive. I suspect I will compromise with myself by following my logical side with atleast 90% of my assets, but perhaps keeping a little gambling money on the side to feed my greed glands.

So the numbers say you won the game... are you staying the course with a sleepy boring AA or do you justify rolling the dice more?
DawgMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2016, 05:59 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I have a sleepy boring AA, but I roll the dice by market timing with it. No gambling though.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 05:59 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm inclined to stay the course. In fact, that is pretty much how I'd define "winning the game",i.e. being able to support my lifestyle with a conservative investment approach.

It's a mindset I've had to develop. For me, "winning" means I don't have to agonize over how to maximize returns. I need to earn enough money off the nut to support myself, with an absolute minimum of risk required to do that.
HadEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 06:00 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawgMan View Post
So the numbers say you won the game... are you staying the course with a sleepy boring AA...
This ^ because attempts to run up the score don't always end well.
Old 12-15-2016, 06:20 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
This ^ because attempts to run up the score don't always end well.
Well said!
HadEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 06:22 AM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HadEnuff View Post
Well said!
Yah... but that's no fun!
DawgMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 06:39 AM   #7
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawgMan View Post
Yah... but that's no fun!
Yeah, but it is safe. You can have fun at Disneyworld. Once you lose enough of the portfolio you can't have fun anywhere.

Don't be greedy.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 06:54 AM   #8

This is a perennial debate. The concept of "stop playing once you have won the game" assumes a static spending desire with no legacy objective. Would be true for many people but not all. The big differentiating factor is risk tolerance. By most criteria I would be viewed as winning the game but still have a relatively high allocation to equities. Why? I enjoy it. I think this will be a successful strategy. I am really investing for the next generation. Hopefully someday she will appreciate it.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 07:07 AM   #9
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
This is a perennial debate. The concept of "stop playing once you have won the game" assumes a static spending desire with no legacy objective. Would be true for many people but not all. The big differentiating factor is risk tolerance. By most criteria I would be viewed as winning the game but still have a relatively high allocation to equities. Why? I enjoy it. I think this will be a successful strategy. I am really investing for the next generation. Hopefully someday she will appreciate it.
Except that's not the way the question was framed. It is not "stop playing" vs "continue", it's "increase risk" vs "stay the course". Agree there is no single "right" way to approach this.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 07:17 AM   #10

Now that we have won, I see no reason not to consider the long term for our kids. I know everyone's idea of "won" is different. Ours is "We have enough in our bucket to live better than we have for the last 40 years, in even the worse planning scenario" . We have not promised anything specific to our kids and their families, so if we have to use a bit more of it than planned, so be it. So we upped our equities in our AA a bit considering another generation of time.
CRLLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 07:21 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Except that's not the way the question was framed. It is not "stop playing" vs "continue", it's "increase risk" vs "stay the course". Agree there is no single "right" way to approach this.
Valid point, but the concepts are usually debated around a potential to reduce your risk profile. I guess, a better way to say it would be "play less (or more) when you have won the game". I suspect very few people would think about increasing risk once "winning" (as pointed out in the discussion so far). Far more common to go the other way. Really a continuum.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 07:38 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I'm 47, FIRE, and have three kids. Here's how I see it, roughly speaking.

Let's say that I decide that for me, 4% is safe and my ideal AA is 80%/20%. But if I end up with more than I need - let's say I get to where 2% supports what I want to spend - then half of my stash is for me and that gets invested at 80/20.

The other half is for my kids. Since (a) they're not living on it and (b) they won't need it for hopefully a long while, it gets invested at 100%.

So I end up at 90%/10%, a SWR of 2%, and in terms of the analogy, I've quit-while-I'm-ahead with my half and continue-to-play-the-game with my kids' half.

In my case I'm not at 2% WR yet, but the idea holds anyway.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 07:41 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

"Won the game" means that you've reached your final asset size goal and could put all your assets in fixed income and survive the expected decades of your retirement.

Starting in 2012, Bernstein recommended that if you have "won the game" only assets above and beyond what you need to live for the rest of your retirement be invested in risky assets like equities. http://whitecoatinvestor.com/bernste...-win-the-game/

I don't think you mean that, because you are still working. You just feel like you are winning with your current strategy, but want to win faster or bigger.
Old 12-15-2016, 07:43 AM   #14

I'm still essentially 60/40, but "having won the game" because I don't need to make withdrawals, I've also thought about upping the equity percentage. I have some cash sitting on the side lines in a stable value fund that I will use to buy on a significant down turn, but my long term strategy is to just reinvest dividends and let my equity allocation drift upwards.

Current AA: 75% Equity Funds / 15% Bonds / 5% Stable Value /2% Cash / 3% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 07:58 AM   #15

DH and I have gone through the same exercise this past week. In our case the debate is should we (1) reduce exposure to equities seeing that our cola'd pensions and annuities cover between 80 to 85% of our very padded retirement budget, or (2) stay the course which in our case means keep equities at 55% of the portfolio because our SWR which will hover just below 1% indefinitely, and the higher equity weighting will increase our legacy or gifting ability during our lives.

The fact that we are contemplating this decision at this time is based on a) the current lofty heights of the equity market, b)change in our status starting in February to crossing the threshold into the decumulation phase of our lives (note to self- must add my name to the Class of 2017) and c) we have not changed our AA since 2007. We weighed 3 options 1) drop from 55% to 50% immediately, 2) drop from 55 to 50 in 1% increments annually or 3) stay at 55%. We've decided on door 2, sort of a reverse dollar cost averaging approach.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 12-15-2016, 08:38 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

I have two AAs. One is for my IRA, one of my "reinforcements" I won't be tapping into until I near age ~60 which is 6 years from now. It is 50-50 but I have been gradually adjusting the stock portion down as I age and near age ~60. The other is about 60-40 in favor of bonds because I use it to generate the income I need to cover my expenses. But I am more likely to adjust to maintain the monthly income. With the recent run-up in stock fund prices and decline in bond fund prices, I am looking at early next year selling some stock fund shares and buying some bond fund shares (a.k.a. buy low, sell high).
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 11:41 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

I'm staying the course with our 60/35/5 AA and periodically rebalancing. To me, to do this balances our future needs with creating a good legacy for the kids.

I have built in a few tilts to our portfolio... the most notable of which is dialing back on interest rate risk with CDs and target maturity bond funds that mature in 3-5 years. I also avoid government bonds (the old return-free risk thing) and have some high-yield bonds and a couple smallish positions in emerging markets bonds and equities just to make things a little interesting.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 11:55 AM   #18

I generally believe in following the plan I have set out in the past when recent market emotions are not involved. If you are really stuck between two alternatives, you can find a way to split the difference.
Old 12-15-2016, 12:11 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

If I change my AA, it is to adapt to market conditions, and it does not have a lot to do with how much money I have. In other words, I would do the same whether I had $100K or $100M.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 12:30 PM   #20

IMHO boring is good when it comes to investing, stay the course as a wise man once said.