Join Early Retirement Today

Why some people buy individual stocks when most feel impossible to do
Old 10-21-2014, 06:13 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Attached is a one hour speech by Peter Thiel, it is a philosophical discussion on the times of the business world, I think there are a lot of good ideas on portfolio approach and finance in general that I found interesting, if you are an individual stock investor you may like this as well.

https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f44/why-i-believe-we-are-about-to-embark-on-a-historic-bull-market-run-101268.html
Running_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2014, 12:41 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

I hate to remind you of this, but:
1) I'm retired and don't waste time listening to talking heads.
2) It's a freak'n hour. I might die during it.
3) If it's worth listening to, you could tell us why.
4) Most important: What would Jack Bogle say?
Rick_Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 01:23 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_Head View Post
No good deed goes unpunished.

Thanks for the video RM, +1

Lancelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 02:40 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Running_Man View Post
I can assure you that it is indeed possible to buy individual stocks. I've done it myself on several occasions.
Old 10-22-2014, 05:01 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Attached is a one hour speech by Peter Thiel, it is a philosophical discussion on the times of the business world, I think there are a lot of good ideas on portfolio approach and finance in general that I found interesting, if you are an individual stock investor you may like this as well.
I'm not personally offended by ideas, but it seems you stepped on the fourth rail or something like that.

Here's an article/interview if anyone is interested in the Peter Thiel.
Peter Thiel: ‘We attribute too much to luck. Luck is an atheistic word for God’ | Technology | The Guardian

He is a successful and controversial figure from the world of business.

Now, back to the discussion...

If there were a transcript, I might have time to skim through it.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 06:28 AM   #6

Sometimes I buy individual stocks......most of the time I don't. Why? I'm just not as smart nor do I have the technology or time to compete with the pro's. So, I'm a Bogle fan!

The stocks I buy are on a downturn, I know the company, and I feel I can hold them for a long time. .....but, only less than 5% of my portfolio. I had a good friend who's wife became a day trader......she lost money......then he gained a friend who ran a small hedge fund.....he lost BIG money......10 years ago we had about the same net worth.....today I"m over double his/her net worth. I had to be "smart" to make my money, now that I'm older I want to enjoy my money......not lose it. And, so far I've done OK.....and that's all I want to do in the future.
jerome len is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 08:25 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_Head View Post
+1 (on 1 thru 4)
SJ1_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 08:30 AM   #8

I might buy individual stocks under the magic formula/little book thing, but that would be for entertainment.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 08:31 AM   #9

Main reason for me is control of cap gain taxation. I agree such info transmitted via video is a waste of both net and brain bandwidth.
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 09:28 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Slays me how important some people think they are. RM posted a video, we can watch it or not. If someone is too important with too many pressing demands on his time, he doesn't need to watch it. But for those of us who maintain open minds, members who post videos and other information are quite valuable and I and many others appreciate it. Peter Thiel has likely accomplished more in business and finance than all the members who have ever posted here, or who ever will in the future. I think I will find the time to listen.

Ha
Old 10-22-2014, 09:34 AM   #11

Hell, I sat through that whole "Broken Eggs" movie, and enjoyed it. So who knows? I might like this too. I have an online brokerage with Scottrade, and overall I think I've done better picking individual stocks than I have with mutual funds. So either I'm good at picking stocks, suck at picking mutual funds, or the truth may lie somewhere in the middle?
Andre1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 09:39 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Never knew who Paul Thiel was, until I looked him up. I watched the video. It was not about stock buying per se. I think the presentation was made at a SXSW session for start-ups and entrepreneurs.

It was a bit long, but as I watched it (listened to the audio mostly), I found that he made some interesting points about different nations being at different stages of evolution or demographics, their mentality, and how their capital is deployed accordingly.

One thing we all know about start-ups and risk-taking entrepreneurs: without them, we would not have the technology today that even dummies can enjoy. We would be driving horse carts, and communicating via smoke signals. Investing in tech stocks is high-risk/high-reward, and certainly not for everyone.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 09:48 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Slays me how important some people think they are. RM posted a video, we can watch it or not. If someone is too important with too many pressing demands on his time, he doesn't need to watch it.
+1

But yet, some important people are apparently not too busy to post a complaint about how busy they are.
Rosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 09:53 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Slays me how important some people think they are. RM posted a video, we can watch it or not. If someone is too important with too many pressing demands on his time, he doesn't need to watch it. But for those of us who maintain open minds, members who post videos and other information are quite valuable and I and many others appreciate it. Peter Thiel has likely accomplished more in business and finance than all the members who have ever posted here, or who ever will in the future.

Ha
+1

What I don't have time for is reading posts where an individual is going on and one about how busy he is and how he doesn't have the time or inclination to read an article, watch a video, etc.

If ya don't wanna do it, don't do it! No need to yap and yap about it.

To OP: A brief synopsis would have been nice though.......
Old 10-22-2014, 10:43 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

It's funny, I was talking to a freshly hired Vanguard Flagship representative in a bar once. Flagship reps are for those with $1M+ in funds. She was commenting how she doesn't understand why someone with that much money would invest in mutual funds, instead, they should be investing in individual stocks. She was actually quite clueless on other financial matters I discussed with her.
jetpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 01:15 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetpack View Post
It's funny, I was talking to a freshly hired Vanguard Flagship representative in a bar once. Flagship reps are for those with $1M+ in funds. She was commenting how she doesn't understand why someone with that much money would invest in mutual funds, instead, they should be investing in individual stocks. She was actually quite clueless on other financial matters I discussed with her.
Why is everyone so negative on following something other than the Bogle approach? Try investing in individual stocks… you might like it!! I’ve been following Josh Peters Dividend Investor newsletter recommendations for about 7 years now and have been achieving excellent results. By concentrating on higher than average dividend yields and companies that increase their dividends each year, in the long run you are quite likely to beat the market averages. Plus, if you have a low cost broker, your fees are lower than even the most inexpensive investment companies!!

You can criticize my approach all you like, but until you actually try it, you’ll never know what you’re missing!!
ScaredtoQuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 02:06 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaredtoQuit View Post
I’ve been following Josh Peters Dividend Investor newsletter recommendations for about 7 years now and have been achieving excellent results.
It would have been hard to achieve anything else. Those were, overall, excellent years for stocks. The large drop in 2008 meant you were buying at a discount early on. Also, small sample size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaredtoQuit View Post
By concentrating on higher than average dividend yields and companies that increase their dividends each year, in the long run you are quite likely to beat the market averages.
I doubt it, and so does science. It doesn't matter whether a company pays out its profits to shareholders, or invests them to grow the value of the business. Only the tax treatment might be different. This is all really well researched - you could look it up!

Not meaning to rain on your parade, though. Personally, I think investing in individual stocks rather then index funds is fine. That is, if you have a large enough portfolio to keep transaction costs small and do a good job to cover all segments of the market, domestic as well as international. Global exposure to all kinds of different businesses requires dozens of stocks, after all. And focusing too much on dividend payers will likely lead to a portfolio heavy with large value stocks.

Lastly, what many folks on this board correctly criticize is not so much holding individual stocks, but the believe that stock picking and market timing will result in outperformance. Going with low cost index funds is just much simpler, and just as likely to succeed. That being said, I, as many others, do buy the occasional stock in my "fun money account". It's simply much more interesting, and it makes me feel good if I'm right. But for serious investing, I trust Mr. Market more than my own investment skills.
Old 10-22-2014, 02:38 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by RISP View Post

I doubt it, and so does science. It doesn't matter whether a company pays out its profits to shareholders, or invests them to grow the value of the business. Only the tax treatment might be different. This is all really well researched - you could look it up!

Scoop Up Dividends-Kiplinger

The only research I have ever known to be done on results on Dividend Stocks based on dividend yields and the returns obtained thereof is by Jeremy Siegel and he found that the highest paying 100 dividend stocks in the S&P500 rebalanced every year to select the next best 100 highest yielding stocks returned 12.5% the S&P 500 returned 10 percent and the 100 lowest paying stocks returned 8.8%. This is over a 42 year period. This is a big reason I advocate SDOG instead of the S&P500 index fund despite the higher expense ratio.

https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f44/why-i-believe-we-are-about-to-embark-on-a-historic-bull-market-run-101268.html
Running_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 02:51 PM   #19

Doubt that anyone cares, but I buy individual stocks almost exclusively.
Old 10-22-2014, 03:44 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Scoop Up Dividends-Kiplinger

The only research I have ever known to be done on results on Dividend Stocks based on dividend yields and the returns obtained thereof is by Jeremy Siegel and he found that the highest paying 100 dividend stocks in the S&P500 rebalanced every year to select the next best 100 highest yielding stocks returned 12.5% the S&P 500 returned 10 percent and the 100 lowest paying stocks returned 8.8%. This is over a 42 year period. This is a big reason I advocate SDOG instead of the S&P500 index fund despite the higher expense ratio.
Read the article. It leaves open a couple of questions about the methodology:
- Did Siegel adjust for survivorship bias?
- Are the 2.5% extra return related to higher risk?
- How did he pick the "highest paying 100 dividend stocks" - ex ante or ex post? If he selected them after the fact, that would be pointless.

Will follow up on this once I've had more time to read up on the topic. I find this quite interesting.

Just as food for thought: If it were true that dividend payers consistently outperform the market without additional risk, wouldn't the market have priced it in long ago, leading to the effect vanishing?