Join Early Retirement Today

Williston, ND
Old 02-21-2017, 10:33 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Williston, ND

Williston, ND is even better than Denmark! The last census estimated they will be growing in population to the year 2020 and there is a lot of oil there to be pumped. I made a list of the 86 incorporated companies in Williston NC but none are in the SEC's database. Then I just searched for "Williston" within the company name of all North Dakota companies and I found "Behm Energy - Williston Basin 2014 Program, LLC" which seemed to be offering "equity securities" then but I don't think any more.

How do I make money from my prediction that Williston, ND will prosper?
Boho is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2017, 10:37 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Move there, buy a home while they are still cheap, then sell in a few years when the price has significantly increased. Or buy a bunch of places and rent them out.
Old 02-21-2017, 10:43 AM   #3

Williston, ND is the old wild West. The population is transient (except for the people who lived in this farming community before they discovered oil). Williston will only prosper as long as fracking is acceptable, or as long as oil is seen as a valuable resource. Once the wells shut down, the economy is back to being based on farming. It's a nice place, but right now, a boom or bust place.

Behm Energy seems like it is one of the drilling companies.

If you can't find info on the local companies, consider them closely held and buying equity securities is very high risk (the risk on you). How do you make money on Williston? Don't invest in the middle guy: Invest in the well established oil companies who are taking the work of the drilling, refining it, and selling it.

How do make money fast on Williston, ND? Probably no way legally.
- Rita
Old 02-21-2017, 10:52 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Start a pub/brothel there.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Williston, ND
Old 02-21-2017, 10:57 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Williston, ND

Start a mobile home / rv park. A lot of transient oil workers live out of rv's and need a place to park them close to their work sites.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 11:06 AM   #6

I don't move to places that I can't see with Google Street View.

OK I found a section on street view. Looks nice enough.

https://www.google.com/maps/@48.1546...!7i3328!8i1664
Old 02-22-2017, 04:50 PM   #7

Williston was once on the Northern Tier cross country bicycle route. But a few years ago the route was diverted south because of all the big trucks, bad air quality, lack of accommodation and general problems that come with a boom town. The route now goes from Wolf Point to Circle and Glendive and then West through Dickinson and Bismark to meet up with the old route at Fargo.

I rode the route a few years ago and while MT and ND were beautiful I could have done without some of the casual racism that I heard towards the Native Americans. I was "warned" about Browning, but got free coffee and cookies from the store run by the Blackfeet Nation and stayed with a wonderfully generous Assiniboine lady near Fort Belknap.

Current AA: 75% Equity Funds / 15% Bonds / 5% Stable Value /2% Cash / 3% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 05:08 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boho View Post
Williston, ND is even better than Denmark! The last census estimated they will be growing in population to the year 2020 and there is a lot of oil there to be pumped. I made a list of the 86 incorporated companies in Williston NC but none are in the SEC's database. Then I just searched for "Williston" within the company name of all North Dakota companies and I found "Behm Energy - Williston Basin 2014 Program, LLC" which seemed to be offering "equity securities" then but I don't think any more.

How do I make money from my prediction that Williston, ND will prosper?
Sorry. You are about 10 years late. Boom times came and a lot left when oil dropped below $60. It's not dead by any measure , but the explosive growth period is long gone.

Here is one of the local real estate Barron's
Old 02-22-2017, 05:11 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

There were a lot of youtube videos on Williston from individuals who worked there. I spent quite a bit of time watching them, because I found it as interesting as the gold rush in California, then Alaska a long time ago.

Have not thought about it for a while. I guess it must have calmed down a bit.

PS. Here's an update. It was 1 year ago!

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 05:30 PM   #10

Interesting. I got the idea of investing where there will be a population boom and I looked up population forecasts and found Williston. I researched the town a little more and found something about the oil which was just the secondary reason for investing there. Turns out nobody talks about the population and everyone talks about the oil.
Old 02-22-2017, 06:06 PM   #11

To boot during the boom times (until the price of oil crashed) the local minimum wage was in the $15 range. No housing was available, and those who worked for fast food tended to live in their cars. (Just a typical boom town, see Virginia City Nv for an earlier example.) I picked Virginia City because it was not a flash in the pan boom town but lasted at least 15 years as a boom town. (Or see the Copper country either in the UP of MI where the town of Calument went from 60k in 1900 to 6 k people now, or look at Butte MT for a more recent crash when the mining was shut down in the 1970s.
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 06:08 PM   #12

Quote:
Interesting. I got the idea of investing where there will be a population boom and I looked up population forecasts and found Williston. I researched the town a little more and found something about the oil which was just the secondary reason for investing there. Turns out nobody talks about the population and everyone talks about the oil.
If looking for a sustainable boom town try Midland/Odessa Tx, it turns out that permian basin oil is profitable at $35/bbl. Midland is a boom bust town. during the 2000 rush hour was a few cars, then the price of oil went up combined with fracking and the town Boomed. I was there in the early 1980s and it had one of the largest Rolls Royce dealers in the country.
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 06:15 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
... I looked up population forecasts and found Williston. I researched the town a little more and found something about the oil which was just the secondary reason for investing there. Turns out nobody talks about the population and everyone talks about the oil.
The oil boom was the reason for the temporary population growth. I wonder when they will do an update and revise their outdated forecast. There are a lot of ghost towns in the West and in Alaska, relics from the gold rush.

In contrast to the gold being depleted in the West, there is probably still plenty of oil in the Bakken basin. In another decade or so, when oil gets expensive again there might be another boom. But it all eventually runs out. Or wind and sun energy will take over. Many of us will not be here to see how it plays out.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 06:30 PM   #14

It gets really really really cold in Williston

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 06:38 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Why do I get this feeling that Boho will always be a day late and ... we'll you know.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 07:03 PM   #16

I'm guessing it's something to do with where you keep your cheese.
Old 02-22-2017, 07:10 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
...a dollar short.
Old 02-22-2017, 07:15 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I hope your investing is better than your comedy.
Old 02-22-2017, 07:27 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
I hope your investing is better than your comedy.
Actually, I bet you don't. That reminds me, I have to check on the two predictions I made in another thread when I get a chance.
Old 02-22-2017, 07:42 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewood90712 View Post
Sorry. You are about 10 years late. Boom times came and a lot left when oil dropped below $60. It's not dead by any measure , but the explosive growth period is long gone.
+1 This pretty well sums it up.
Same deal back in the early 80's. Boom for a couple of years , then bust.
There's plenty of oil to be had, but until prices come up big time, ND will be beat out by lower cost Permian Basin oil.
At this point I'm researching REGX, a unit trust that is producing ethanol, but I'm cooling it until I visit this summer.
JPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote