Your Biggest Individual Stock Holding & Why ?

BXLT 22% - biotech spinoff, calculated risk
AAPL 18% - value in the company when bought and awaiting 2 year mark (Sept to sell for long term capital gains tax advantage)
GSK 16% - dividend with company value
MET 14% - dividend with company value
JCP 7% - risky, but could pay off

Last edited:
RE:AAPL
I think the analysts who follow stocks have no visibility on the Chinese markets. So anything they do there gets discounted. The PE is now under 14. Google is just under 30. FB is over 90.

I am hanging in with my 2100 shares. I will not load up because of portfolio allocation.

Wow, AAPL PE is below most of the other top holdings in the S&P 500. Hmmmm, I just might take a position (above whatever SPY holds, a few %).

-ERD50

In the past, I have held low P/E stocks just to see the E eventually shrank to match the P. The low P/E was for the previous 12 months, while the market "knew" to discount the future decline in earnings.

I am not saying this will necessarily happen to Apple, as I have no insight to its market, not being long nor short it, but the above has happened to me more often than I would like.

Last edited:
In the past, I have held low P/E stocks just to see the E eventually shrank to match the P. The low P/E was for the previous 12 months, while the market "knew" to discount the future decline in earnings.

I am not saying this will necessarily happen to Apple, as I have no insight to its market, not being long nor short it, but the above has happened to me more often than I would like.

And I've done the same. And heck, if I ended up losing on AAPL, I could end up losing 'bragging right' on all I made on my purchases right at the bottom in '97.

I'll likely chicken out and just watch my SPY.

-ERD50

I hope nobody on this forum's largest holding is GMCR.... they took it on the chin today. Down almost 30%.

I do not follow smartphone market (I only started to use one less than a year ago), but recently saw a headline that caught my eye. Apple has fallen from #1 seller in China's smartphone market to #3 in just 1 quarter. Xiaomi is now #1 and Huawei is #2.

I had heard of Huawei, but Xiaomi? Its growth was 250% year-over-year, so it must be doing something right.

I do not follow smartphone market (I only started to use one less than a year ago), but recently saw a headline that caught my eye. Apple has fallen from #1 seller in China's smartphone market to #3 in just 1 quarter. Xiaomi is now #1 and Huawei is #2.

I had heard of Huawei, but Xiaomi? Its growth was 250% year-over-year, so it must be doing something right.

I was listening to a segment about Apple over there. They reported the Chinese do not have "brand loyalty" in the way that many do here in the States.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I hope nobody on this forum's largest holding is GMCR.... they took it on the chin today. Down almost 30%.

GMCR? I had to look it up: Keurig Green Mountain. Oh yes, I read about Keurig's single serve coffee machine and their K cup. What happened? People do not like this anymore?

After a fall from a high of 150+ just 10 months ago down to 75, the drop to 53 today adds injury to insult. Market cap still 8B. Seems high for a coffee maker company, but then what do I know? When I was still drinking coffee, I bought a lot of those $20 machines.

Anyway, back to the thread topic, my biggest holding is Berkshire Hathaway. It is still only 3.5% of portfolio.

NFLX will go the way of GMCR, eventually. They can't grow into a 500PE in a reasonable amount of time.

I would actually rather own Amazon than Netflix, because I can see a path to profit for Amazon (just a tweak here and they are suddenly making billions).

Can't short Netflix though...it could go to $1500 a share (pre split) before falling 80%.

Starbucks (SBUX) purchased 200 shares in 1998 that morphed into 3200 shares today. Biggest gain and holding once was MSFT, purchased around 1984, but then it went sideways on me for a decade during 2000-10 and I got rid of it for an index fund.

My only stock holding is in my IRA: Realty Income (O). Its dividends more than pay my MRD, I reinvest the rest.

1,000 shares of Home Depot. Bought almost all of the shares during the last financial crisis.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

My biggest stock holding was International Paper . I bought it when it was Federal Paperboard. It was a great stock but when it became 25% of my portfolio I sold .It was October 2001 when I sold it for $56.

No, but it's close. My biggest individual holding is Delta Llloyd N.V. :LOL:

Stings a bit, but it's a good reminder how much I suck at stock picking.

Back
Top Bottom