Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-14-2015, 03:16 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
Harrodsburg food isn't cheap at all.

Marks and Spencer, Waitrose.
Yes Harrods is more restaurants price, the food is pretty gourmet , it's the experience of the food court area that you pay for.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2015, 03:25 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

If you're looking for cheap lunch options I like the pret a manger chain of sandwich/coffee shops. They're all over London, cheap (for London), fast and easy. They have great coffee and the bread pastries are really tasty.

Old 12-14-2015, 03:31 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by fosterscik View Post
If you're looking for cheap lunch options I like the pret a manger chain of sandwich/coffee shops. They're all over London, cheap (for London), fast and easy. They have great coffee and the bread pastries are really tasty.
some pret-a-mangers don't have bathrooms! and a lot of walk in coffee shops don't have restrooms either.
Old 12-14-2015, 03:44 PM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Another underrated place, if you have good weather, is take the boat all he way to Greenwich. Lot of green space, people sunning themselves on the lawn, hike up to the observatory.
This would definitely be on my list. We're geeks. Have to make a pilgrimage to the UTC location.
Old 12-14-2015, 03:48 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pullmyfinger View Post
Thanks for your post! I agree, there is so much to see even amongst the free museums! I should have said that I was going to buy the London pass, rather than the museum pass, so that covers admission to sites like Tower of London and Westminster Abbey among others. I am embarrassed to say that in my previous trips to London the only museums I visited were the British Museum and the National Gallery. I am especially looking forward to the V and A.
This is good to know, because I think Tower of London and Westminster Abbey would be our destinations.

There are only so many museums I can take.

Been thinking ahead for when we hop over to London from Amsterdam one of these years: LONDON to AMSTERDAM by train & ferry or Eurostar from 49

We've spent quite a bit of time in the areas around London, but not within except for taking a bus to Peterborough!
Old 12-14-2015, 05:11 PM   #46

London does have more prepackaged meals than just above about any city I can think of. Pretty good quality too.
Old 12-14-2015, 05:34 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedup View Post
Are you US citizen? I'm not aware of any visa thing for US citizen, but I still have time to apply.
EDIT to add, thank you for your comment. I did some googling, as a US citizen, I don't need a visa to UK if I stay less than 6 months. My flight is in and out of London. I will fly to other European place from there.
Every time you go into and out of Europe, they're going to date stamp your passport. And you cannot be in the EU more than 90 days out of 180 days. You'd essentially have to stay in England/Ireland the other time. Visa's are out of the question unless you're a college student, and retirees usually are not going to be eligible for any visa from an EU country.

But Americans buying houses in certain EU countries can get a Visa if the bring between 300,000 and 500,000 Euros into their banks. One country charges 60,000 Euros admin. fee.
Old 12-14-2015, 05:35 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
London does have more prepackaged meals than just above about any city I can think of. Pretty good quality too.
New York City?
Old 12-14-2015, 06:08 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
New York City?
I'd say so. Not talking about a deli type place which will make food to go.

Talking about a large supermarket where there are packaged meals you just grab and pay for.

Some need to be heated, some can be eaten cold.
Old 12-14-2015, 06:22 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I'd say so. Not talking about a deli type place which will make food to go.

Talking about a large supermarket where there are packaged meals you just grab and pay for.

Some need to be heated, some can be eaten cold.
When my brother lived in New York City, there were quite a few places nearby where you bought food to-go off a buffet, putting what you wanted into a container, and they weighed the box and charged you by weight.
Old 12-14-2015, 06:44 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeNFO View Post
....Be advised that spending a week in London will make any other city on the planet seem inexpensive....
How true. We used to kid around with our UK colleagues that just about everything in London cost about the same as it did in NYC, except it was in pounds rather than dollars (at the time 1 GBP ~ $2 USD). There was ONE notable exception... beer was reasonably priced but you had to like it room temperature.

I recall one week I landed and went to change from casual clothes I traveled in to my suit and discovered I had left my wingtips at home. I now have a nice $350 (1999 dollars) pair of British wingtips sitting in a closet... vary nice, high quality shoes but the most expensive pair I have ever owned. Or was that 350 GBP? I don't remember.
Old 12-14-2015, 06:47 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
When my brother lived in New York City, there were quite a few places nearby where you bought food to-go off a buffet, putting what you wanted into a container, and they weighed the box and charged you by weight.
I was thinking of stuff like salads, pasta dishes, Indian food, all prepackaged at some central location, for sale in grocery chains.

Quality is a cut above what you'd find in the US.
Old 12-14-2015, 07:27 PM   #53

Marks and Spencers sells great sandwiches.

On our last trip we had a wonderful smoked salmon on a bun sandwich from Harrods deli. Cannot remember the price but we thought that it was very reasonable.

We second Pret a Manger. Coffee used to be 99P and as good as Starbucks. Their sandwiches are very good as well.
Old 12-14-2015, 08:05 PM   #54
Full time employment: Posting here.

All the major train stations have a shop selling "filled baguettes" (subs) that are great, made fresh a few times a day
Old 12-14-2015, 08:59 PM   #55
Recycles dryer sheets

These are great suggestions for lunch options, I can happily live off sandwiches. On a trip to London years ago for dinner I picked up a pizza at a train station and walked it back to my hotel to eat. On more than one night. Yes, I am really cheap, but will try to control those urges when I travel with others.
Old 12-14-2015, 09:49 PM   #56

I'm spending one night in London in early January, on the way from a week in Chamonix.

More and more you're seeing $10-20 burgers becoming popular all over Europe and London is no different.

Not sure if Europeans can make good burgers though.

Supposedly Nandos is good for a chain, because of the peri peri chicken.

Never really tempted to try a British pub. The idea of meat pies and similar English fare pales compared to international cuisine options there.

For that matter, I haven't tried fish and chips there either.
Old 12-14-2015, 10:03 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Because of Britain's long association with India, the U.K. and London in particular, has many good Indian restaurants. In fact, curries are considered national dishes in England and have featured prominently on menus for a century or more. Here is a list of recommendations from the Telegraph, but of course there are hundreds of mom and pop Asian restaurants all over London.

Britain's top 20 curry houses - Telegraph
Old 12-14-2015, 11:15 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
These are great suggestions for lunch options, I can happily live off sandwiches. On a trip to London years ago for dinner I picked up a pizza at a train station and walked it back to my hotel to eat. On more than one night. Yes, I am really cheap, but will try to control those urges when I travel with others.
All these convenient options, but sandwiches and pizza are out if you eat gluten free.
Old 12-15-2015, 08:11 AM   #59
Recycles dryer sheets

You either need to rent a car to get to Stonehenge/Salisbury or you can join a tour in London that will take you to Stonehenge. There are 1 day tours from London.

Quote:
I have a very exciting trip coming up next April. My beloved brother accepted our offer to take his family (DB, DSIL, their daughter age 14 and son age 12) to Europe next spring. We are straddling spring break so the kids won't miss too much school and our itinerary: 7 nights in London, fly to Berlin, 6 nights in Berlin, is one that they are excited about, especially London. It will be the first time on an airplane for the kids, my brother's second trip to Europe in his lifetime, the 1st one was in 1984 when I was 15 and he was 14. So needless to say this is a big deal. I think his family is a little overwhelmed thinking about this, so DH and I are coming up with the basic itinerary. My plan is to give the rough draft itinerary to DB in the next week or so, so that they can start thinking about what they would like to see and start planning. I would love the advice of the knowledgable travelers on this forum.

So I'll start by asking for suggestions about London. I have reserved an apartment for the 7 nights in the area of Crouch End, so we will plan on getting 7 day travel cards for everyone. I am also planning on ordering the 3 day London passes ahead of time so that we can get discounted rates. I would love ideas about must see places, favorite sites, and if anyone has ideas about what would appeal most to children those ages. I have Rick Steves books and will be compiling information on which sites don't charge admission, which are covered by the London passes, days which the sites are open, etc, etc.

Another question is about possibly visiting Stonehenge. DB asked if it would be possible to go there, and my first thought was that it would be a challenge taking trains/buses to get there. Then DH suggested renting a car and driving there. Any thoughts on that? Thanks in advance!

Old 12-15-2015, 10:52 AM   #60

Quote:
Never really tempted to try a British pub. The idea of meat pies and similar English fare pales compared to international cuisine options there.
Actually many pubs now feature very good food. They've even coined the phrase gastropub to describe them. They're a long way from the old, nasty pub faire.

Here's an interesting list of some:

London's best gastro pubs