Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-01-2015, 08:04 PM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

Hi guys - love all the great conversations and ideas....didn't realize we had a few divers on the board too!

In just over 6 months, we'll be leaving for Australia!!!!! (option 3 on my OP!). We found a great opportunity to house sit in Australia NSW (Brett, may PM you for any tips)! Nice house with view of the water close to fishing, diving, hiking. Use of their car and free housing for a month in exchange for hanging out with their dogs (a huge motivator for us!).

We won't be able to make it to Mexico this year (celebrated New Years in Cozumel LOVE the dives...not the very wormy nite dives though!) but be sure to check out Akumal (between Playa and Tulum esp if you have kids) and Xel-ha....a nature lovers Disneyland!!!!

By the way...funny how things work out too...5 months before retiring, hubby and I are booked to go to London and Hawaii over the next couple of months for work.... How cool is that!?! :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2015, 10:37 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by msbearkeley View Post
Hi guys - love all the great conversations and ideas....didn't realize we had a few divers on the board too!

... be sure to check out Akumal (between Playa and Tulum esp if you have kids) and Xel-ha....a nature lovers Disneyland!!!!
Xel-ha was great with our kids (15 years ago? Yikes!). Easy snorkeling in the estuary for initial exposure to big fish. Not something that DW and I would do by ourselves (especially with Isla Mujeres and Coz in the neighborhood), but in the back of our minds for trip with potential grandkids, or maybe non-diving friends, in the future.

Old 06-02-2015, 01:27 PM   #43

fugal-one...many of the sites we use do not ask for country of residence. Some ask for address. EU sites are great...most are simply looking for an address with no verification that it is really yours. We use an accommodation address. We have used Thomson and Co-op in the UK.

Last Jan, while we were travelling in Australia, we booked a short notice cruise NZ on RCI. The US/Canada website price was 30 percent plus higher than the Australian web site. We called and there was no hiding our residence because we had a frequent cruiser status that we wanted to take advantage of. No issue.

On Sunday we booked one way direct air on the Air Aegean site from Crete to Paris for $100. We have to be in Toronto Canada in late August and managed to find an a very attractive open jaw air price on Toronto-Athens and home Paris-Calgary. Greece is one of our favourites so we took advantage of the air, the favourable Euro, and what I suspect will be a lower than normal tourist season. So, we go for five weeks. What we save on air will help pay for a three day stopover in Paris.

We have done the same in Turkey by booking air directly on the Atlas, Pegasus, or Sun airline sites. sites. Often their low fares do not seem to show up on our Kayak listings, etc. We were looking at a cruise but decided against it since it was priced in USD....and our currency is now 20 percent weaker than it has been in the past.
Old 06-02-2015, 09:07 PM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

I dream of spending long amounts of time abroad but I have one elderly dog and two cats. Until I am down to just the cats I won't be making any long term plans. Short jaunts for now.
Old 06-05-2015, 08:51 AM   #45

Make a bucket list.

Plan travel in the shoulder seasons. Where possible and practical combine two or more of your bucket lists trips into one trip

Understand relevant pricing before you buy. Buy travel products that are on sale. Buying well in advance is absolutely no guarantee of getting the best price-we find the opposite is true.

If travelling internationally, understand currency issues. Currency fluctuations can save, or add, 5-15 percent to your land costs.

Don't listen to the media and uninformed TA's about travelling to certain areas. We often travel when others are not. Had some wonderful cruises in the Med and travel in Turkey/Greece a few years ago at bargain rates. At the time the media was not portraying how things were and most TA's were basing their advice on these sensationalized media reports.

Avoid using TA's unless it is for a specialized trip like a safari. Most of them are just travel bookers. Do your own research, book your own travel.
Old 06-05-2015, 12:26 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett View Post
Avoid using TA's unless it is for a specialized trip like a safari. Most of them are just travel bookers. Do your own research, book your own travel.
+1

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is online now   Reply With Quote