2 days in Cape Cod

jambo101

Full time employment: Posting here.
The wife has a conference in Boston and wants to spend a few days in Cape Cod after, any recommendations on places to stay with ocean view, seafood restaurants nearby,shopping etc. my ideal would be Hyannis but she wants to go all the way to the end at Providence which seems a lot longer drive with marginal views from the highway,i havent been to Cape Cod in 40yrs so not sure where to go to get the complete Cape Cod experience . Any seaside towns to rival Cape Cod?

The wife has a conference in Boston and wants to spend a few days in Cape Cod after, any recommendations on places to stay with ocean view, seafood restaurants nearby,shopping etc. my ideal would be Hyannis but she wants to go all the way to the end at Providence which seems a lot longer drive with marginal views from the highway,i havent been to Cape Cod in 40yrs so not sure where to go to get the complete Cape Cod experience . Any seaside towns to rival Cape Cod?
Ah, Cape Cod. I spent many post-Labor Day (Sept) weekdays there as a kid and adult.
http://www.capecodchamber.org/
Summer is pretty crazy there, with LOTS of traffic, and I mean LOTS of traffic. You will not have the usual pick of cheaper places. Prices drop drastically after Labor Day.
We always stayed in North Truro, which is not seaside but it is located centrally on far outer end of the Cape. You can drive to other towns like Wellfleet within a shorter period of time if you want to see more than Provincetown.
Map here - click to enlarge
http://www.capecodchamber.org/assets/0000/0042/CCMap-lg-POPUP.jpg
P'town is a huge mecca for alternative lifestyles. If you have an open mind, it's kinda fun. The sights and sounds will amaze you.
Once you get to P'town, you will be free of dealing with the summer traffic jams on Route 6, the only highway out to the Outer Cape.
P'town - Lots to do, take a sailing outing or go whale watching if the season is correct for that. Climb the Pilgrim National Monument and look out to sea. Lots of good restaurants and party bars (taxi or walk). P'town can be very crowded and noisy this time of year.
Parking is best done at your hotel and walk around. Not sure if there is still a trolley that runs thru P'town.
The Cape Cod National Seashore sand dune trails by bicycle (rentals aplenty but call ahead) is a must do if you have time. It is an all day excursion. Bring a lunch, snacks and lots of water with you as there are no food facilities along the trails. Also bring bug spray for the mosquitoes and sand critters.

Here is an interesting alternative, a fast ferry from Boston to P'town for a day excursion. I wonder if you can do an overnight or 2 in P'town and ride the ferry back to Boston a few days later. No driving on Route 6. Use taxis to get around town.
http://www.bostonharborcruises.com/provincetown-ferry/default.aspx

Have fun! :D

There is a ferry that goes from Boston to Provincetown so you avoid the traffic which is super brutal in the summer .Also as Freebird mentioned Provincetown is a great place to visit but it is ultra liberal so if you are not I'd pick another spot .

Provincetown is a great place to visit but it is ultra liberal so if you are not I'd pick another spot .

I love P-town. Very eclectic and free spirited.

I love P-town. Very eclectic and free spirited.

I love it too but I think some people may hate it . Remember we were the two big fans for Adam on American Idol and a lot of people disagreed . If you are very very conservative and go to P town I think you will be uncomfortable .

I love it too but I think some people may hate it . Remember we were the two big fans for Adam on American Idol and a lot of people disagreed . If you are very very conservative and go to P town I think you will be uncomfortable .

I like Provincetown,too. I have a cousin in Sandwich and visit every few years. Summers are very crowded. Oppressively so. I prefer September. Can't really recommend places as I stay with her.

I haven't forgotten that Moemg:)

Attachments

• Adam Motown Week.jpg
    Adam Motown Week.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 2
I've still got time to convince her to go somewhere else as our plans arent final,looking for a seaside town with some seafood restaurants a bit of shopping a beach to walk on, we dont have the time to explore all of Cape Cod,its a drive to destination stay 2 nights then head home.

Back
Top Bottom