2 Prong Travel Adapter but 3 Prong Laptop Charger

Ian S

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Just preparing for our trip to the UK and the Continent and realize that the travel adapter I bought takes two prong plugs (fine for our usb adapter and camera battery charger) but the laptop charger has the standard 3 prong plug. Wondering if it's OK to use a "cheater" 3 to 2 prong adapter between the laptop plug and the travel adapter? I actually haven't seen many travel adapter that take 3 prong plugs.

I'm sure you realize that the UK and the continent use very different types of outlets, so one adapter will be needed for each.

But to answer your question, 99 times out of 100 you'll be fine using a "cheater" as you put it.

However, 3-prong adapters are common.

Yes it is. Less safe but not much so. Many of the UK 3 prong adapters I have seen have a plastic ground prong so the ground is not going to ground anyway. You can get them though. I got a nice set off Amazon prior to my last trip to UK and East Africa. Fully grounded and fits both UK 3 prong and two prong grounded plugs. This wasn't the exact one but similar. And the come with interchangeable heads to fit all plugs worldwide, including NA so you can use it at home as a USB charger.

https://www.amazon.com/Ceptics-Worl...r=8-1-spons&keywords=travel+adapter+usb&psc=1

Last edited:
I'm sure you realize that the UK and the continent use very different types of outlets, so one adapter will be needed for each.

But to answer your question, 99 times out of 100 you'll be fine using a "cheater" as you put it.

However, 3-prong adapters are common.
Thanks for the info. The adapter I bought is one with a number of different builtin prong sets to fit a number of countries including the ones we're going to. The cheater is the easiest solution for the laptop charger but I think I'll also get one of the other adapters suggested in this thread so we're not dependent on a single piece of hardware.

Yes it is. Less safe but not much so. Many of the UK 3 prong adapters I have seen have a plastic ground prong so the ground is not going to ground anyway. You can get them though. I got a nice set off Amazon prior to my last trip to UK and East Africa. Fully grounded and fits both UK 3 prong and two prong grounded plugs. This wasn't the exact one but similar. And the come with interchangeable heads to fit all plugs worldwide, including NA so you can use it at home as a USB charger.

https://www.amazon.com/Ceptics-Worl...r=8-1-spons&keywords=travel+adapter+usb&psc=1

Looks interesting! Thanks. Will probably get one of these or similar for redundancy. It's a fairly critical gadget to have these days with our dependence on electronics.

We bring one adapter to fit the outlet, but then we bring a standard US power strip with multiple outlets. So with one adapter we can charge all our phones, cameras, iPads, headphones, etc.

I have a laptop with a three prong plug too. I also usually bring along a mini power bar with three outlets but it's three pronged also.
We've occasionally had luck borrowing an adapter from the check-in desk and they have been typically 3 to 2 which isn't ideal but does the trick in a pinch.
However, we've come across street vendors selling outlet adapters (3 to 2) and have bought a couple. Wasn't too hard to bargain them down to a few dollars an adapter. Hard to say how great the quality is but they seem pretty solid.

I've used a cheater. It will be fine for a laptop. As one poster mentioned, a lot of these adapters use plastic prongs for the ground lug & using a cheater is no different. You can also just buy different adapters at most international airports.

Took your advice and ordered one of these. I will also get a cheater adapter since they're small and cheap and it can be used with my other universal adapter in a pinch. Also will take along an extension cord. Want to have some redundancy to avoid risk of wasting time looking for adapters while on the trip.

Back
Top Bottom