Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-28-2009, 03:02 PM   #21

We were going to do the Panama Canal cruise in April but we found the two of us could go cheaper in December so we are instead going to see the parents in Washington in April. So, at least for this particular cruise, this year was the better year. Haven't figured out what else to do. Maybe go out to Jupiter to find HAL.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2009, 04:53 PM   #22
Administrator

I travel as little as possible, but we just got back from a three day trip to Oregon to attend my daughter's wedding. The overall cost was much less than I had expected and much less than last year. You would never know there is a recession going on - - all planes were completely full (ugh). We could have recouped much of the airfare in travel vouchers had we been willing to return the following morning, instead.

Now, with any luck that will be it for a while!

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 05:47 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We'll do our typical Feb/Mar trip to Florida...staying in Ormond Beach for a change. Instead of taking the quickest, most direct route, I may opt to shoot straight south from here, then head east along the Gulf coast. Might even make a stop-over in NOLA to visit my niece....or might not! When we return to IL, we'll probably come back the more direct route, and stay in Chattanooga and/or Nashville for a few days. Or we'll do the direct route down, hitting Nashville as planned, and then return via the Gulf coast.

In Feb. routes, timing, and everything else, is weather dependent....gotta work around snow/ice storms.

I've been pondering going to Alaska for the last few years, and I may head up that way next July. I have some old friends doing a 7 day cruise, and I might join them.....just a bunch of old hippies! So it should be a blast! Plus, it looks like the price is right!

Other than those trips, we'll just do a few short trips here and there. Maybe Mackinac Island and drive the loop around Lake Michigan, the balloon-fest in Iowa, and a big Bluegrass festival in the hills of Kentucky. Throw in a trip or 2 to Nashville, and we should be set for the year.....Oh, and a LOT of day trips!!!
Old 10-28-2009, 08:20 PM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert the Red View Post
We're planning 3 weeks in Egypt in January 2010. DIY, not a package tour. Cairo, Western Desert, Luxor, Aswan, Abu Simbel.
We did that almost exactly a year ago. Unfortunately we missed Abu Simbel Highly recommend going to Dashur. You'll like it better than Giza. We had the place all to our self and went inside the oldest pyramid in the world.

The museum in Aswan is pretty impressive.
Old 10-29-2009, 08:38 PM   #25

Heading to England in 2010. Possibly France. I have a sibling with moved to England. Looking forward to it. And on the other hand dreading flying to the east coast then off to England. Might fly to New York and stay a day or two. Then head across the pond.

Oh well it will be on the cheap with having a place to stay overseas.
Old 10-30-2009, 09:50 AM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Hope this but a hint of good things to come in 2010

Beat of Hawaii and Beyond: Travel Deals, Tips, Culture and Analysis Seattle To Honolulu $140 Each Way

Quote:
If you have time in November or early December, Hawaii has a nice deal to get you to Hawaii.

Should these dates not work for you, dont worry, as Seattle will likely continue to reign king of Hawaii deals throughout the winter.
  • Cost: $301 round trip (all-inclusive)
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 04:42 PM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

Planning on Costa Rica (only a couple of weeks this time), one ski trip to New Mexico or Colorado, and whatever else we can afford.

I would like to take the kids to Italy and Greece one day. DW and I went pre kids and had a blast. Has anyone ridden the Donkeys up the steep hill from the harbor in Santorini? We did that, hung out on the island all day, then decided to ride them back down that night and for some reason the crazy donkeys RAN all the way down and scared the hell out of both of us. I remember DW screaming all the way down the hill, while I remained calm and reassured her all was well.

THe donkeys seem try to rub you off on the short rail, which is the only thing that keeps you from plunging down to the harbor.

This is not us, but it's a good explanation of how it is. Their donkeys are walking like they are supposed to however.

Old 10-30-2009, 04:51 PM   #28
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude View Post
Has anyone ridden the Donkeys up the steep hill from the harbor in Santorini?
Yes, in 1972 - - loads of fun! My donkey was the slowest of all of them, but I eventually got to the top. Santorini is a beautiful island with lots of touristy things to do, and buy.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 05:02 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
Ah, well. I do hope he gets well soon.

I can't help you then. Both locations are in the "must see"/"bucket list" category. Yellowstone has too many people for me but there is a well-earned reason for that. New Mexico, as I said before, is rightly named the "Land of Enchantment."

BTW, What do you consider the "high country" of New Mexico?
Poor guy...still has to w*rk and then put up with me the rest of the time. Glutton for punishment.

We plan to go to Yellowstone this year but NOT during the summer.
I haven't figured out the best time yet. dh2b is up to his eyeballs at w*rk. We will definitely stay on site at one of the hotels or lodges or maybe even a single cabin. Not sure yet.

I have no familiarity with New Mexico except a Dept of Tourism book I sent away for. Plenty of time to familiarize myself with NM. Once I have some basic knowledge, I'll be asking questions here.
Old 10-30-2009, 07:26 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
We plan to go to Yellowstone this year but NOT during the summer.
Oh!!!! There is nothing more beautiful (or scary dangerous) than Yellowstone in the dead of Winter. That would be among the top of my "must see and do" travel list.

Envy, envy,envy.
Old 10-30-2009, 11:01 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Yes, this is the kind of talk I like to hear: travel. There are worse ways to lighten up your wallet.

Also to "redistribute" wealth voluntarily, the way you like it. Else the gummint is gonna do it their way.

My wallet has been getting thin, however. Other than some travel for work this year, I have not been abroad with my sweetheart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomintucson View Post
... I'm returning to Burma and Thailand for 2 1/2 months on Nov 30... Adventures as fabulous as you might imagine, however.
I am sure it's exciting! Does it also involve dodging rebels' bullets?
Old 10-30-2009, 11:19 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

For 2010, I am looking forward to a slow year travel-wise. One week to 10 days in San Fran/Napa/Las Vegas in September, and probably a couple of weeks in Europe around Christmas. Maybe a road trip to NC to go visit friends in the spring. We spent quite a bit of money on travel this year and next year I'd like to redirect our funds towards home improvement projects (hardwood floors and maybe a bathroom remodel).
Old 10-30-2009, 11:59 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREdreamer View Post
For 2010, I am looking forward to a slow year travel-wise......
That was this year for us. We only did 2 weeks in Florida in Feb/Mar, and we're going to Nashville and to Branson for a few days each toward the end of Nov and the 1st part of Dec. We did do a bunch of day trips, and other stuff close to home, but really cut back on the longer trips this year compared to previous years. It was actually nice to stay home and enjoy our little corner of paradise for a change!!!
Old 11-01-2009, 12:08 PM   #34

I didn't travel at all this year. I've pre-registered for a group travel deal to Maine, but, not too sure if I'm going yet. They haven't posted the price yet and I don't have to commit until later. I'm a big chicken when figuring out how I want to travel these days. I don't think I really want group travel but then again, I don't feel like I'm ready for solo travel either.
Old 11-01-2009, 02:45 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy2bretired View Post
....I don't think I really want group travel but then again....
We've done a LOT of group travel over the past 10 or 11 years, and it's been mostly good experiences! Every once in a while something happens that is irritating to us, but that is definitely the exception and NOT the rule! We've met some folks who have become wonderful friends....and we've met a few (extremely few) that we hope to never see again...anywhere...anytime....ever!

We've gone the group travel route to a lot of places that we otherwise would not have been to, whether because of time or distance, or in many cases, because we didn't even know some of those places even existed!!! And some of the group trips that we've taken, have simply been for the convenience.
Old 11-01-2009, 03:39 PM   #36

Thanks Goonie, I hope that I can make my first group travel a positive one. I would have to decide if I wanted a room mate or a single room to myself. Pity the poor woman that would get ME...I snore.
Old 11-01-2009, 04:21 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy2bretired View Post
Thanks Goonie, I hope that I can make my first group travel a positive one. I would have to decide if I wanted a room mate or a single room to myself. Pity the poor woman that would get ME...I snore.
If I'm traveling by myself with a group, I always opt for my own room with no roommate. Even when I've traveled with a group of my friends. I don't like to have to adjust my time and relaxation around someone else whose preferences may be 180 different than mine. And others shouldn't have to adjust to my preferences either. Besides, I like (and need) the peace and solitude after a day with a group of people.....listen to some nice soothing music, surf the 'net a bit, read the newspaper or a book....or just sit and enjoy the peace and quiet!

Plus, I can always get together with fellow travelers in the lounge or sitting area of the hotel in the evening for a while.....if I want to! Or I can go to those areas by myself....if I want to!
Old 11-02-2009, 10:14 AM   #38

Thanks Goonie, I think I will give that some thought. It probably will depend on the cost factor between having a room mate and not. I might be more comfortable by myself that way....in a group but not.
Old 11-02-2009, 11:09 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
Oh!!!! There is nothing more beautiful (or scary dangerous) than Yellowstone in the dead of Winter. That would be among the top of my "must see and do" travel list.

Envy, envy,envy.
dh2b had some wacked out notion that I would actually enjoy going snowmobiling at Yellowstone in the winter. He's a great guy otherwise.
We're actually looking at fall. His w*rkplace has a huge certification inspection in September that he needs to be ready for in June, so our trip would be right after September. Or we may have to wait until the following year. TBD.
He turns 50 next year, and I want to treat him to something special. If not Yellowstone, I'm come up with Plan B, something here on the East Coast.
Old 11-02-2009, 11:24 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
dh2b had some wacked out notion that I would actually enjoy going snowmobiling at Yellowstone in the winter. He's a great guy otherwise.

No worries, you will enjoy it no matter when you go.