Join Early Retirement Today

2010: the year for travel
Old 10-11-2009, 06:13 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

2010: the year for travel

Why 2010 will be the year of the travel deal

10 places to find travel bargains during the Year of the Deal.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2009, 10:33 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

We've got Laos planned for late February into March. Just bought plane tickets to Bangkok on EVA, will figure it out from there.
tuixiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 12:03 PM   #3
gone traveling

Three days in London, then 12 days on a Baltic cruise. Already booked for June.

Did Australia (3 weeks) this past June.

Every year is a travel year for us. 2010 is no different ...
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 12:48 PM   #4
Administrator

Big travel year planned for 2010 - nothing booked yet.

Current plans are a month in Colorado, 6 weeks in England and 4-6 weeks in Canada.

Roll on that ER date

We actually got a pretty good deal recently. DW got a call that Mum was seriously ill so we needed to get 2 tickets to Manchester, UK the next day, returning a couple of weeks later - $1,150. When a similar thing happened in 1995 when my Mum died I had to do the same thing and it cost $995 so 14 years later and the price has not changed much.
Old 10-12-2009, 12:54 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Alan, I hope your DW's "mum" is feeling well.

We are starting 2010 with a cruise, seduced by cheaper prices for better accommodations than all past trips. Also planning on Europe for the summer.
Old 10-12-2009, 01:02 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

We're thinking about a month split between a cottage in Ireland and family in Belgium for either Fall 2010 or Spring 2011. We'll have a stopover in NYC on the way there and back as well.

Hoping for cheap plane fares, as it'll be our first time with four tickets...
Old 10-12-2009, 01:04 PM   #7
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Thanks for your thoughts.

I'm afraid she died the day we landed. She had been in hospital for the previous 8 weeks and very sick for the last couple of years so it was not a big surprise. We went to England for 3 weeks in May since all 3 of our surviving parents were well past their "three score years and ten".
Old 10-12-2009, 01:32 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Looking into visiting nearby towns, scenic wonders, and museums we haven't been to yet. Once I figure out the public transit system, I'll be off. "I've been off for years". I figure travel fees to those areas should average less than ten dollars for day trips. Since we're not planning pricey trips, we're popping for more expensive nearby attractions: $125 for whale-watching tours, a dinner variety show for about $150 each (discounted).

The biggest trip we're considering is to the next state to visit SO's sister. I'd like to use ground transportation to see the scenery, maybe AMTRAK with bus connection.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
2010 Travel Ramp-Up
Old 10-12-2009, 02:02 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

2010 Travel Ramp-Up

Chile for 2.5 weeks in February, an Alaska cruise & land tour (2 weeks), and at least three weeks down at Palace Resorts in Mexico or Punta Cana (We're Palace Premier members). We want to begin our travels to Asia soon, before we become old farts.
Old 10-12-2009, 02:02 PM   #10
Gone but not forgotten

We're off to Boston & Maine tomorrow then in January a cruise or Costa Rica and of course one or two trips to visit my daughter,son in law and grandson .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 03:17 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Yellowstone is our planned trip for 2010. Or the New Mexico high country. We are already on the monthly "savings plan" for either destination.
Old 10-12-2009, 03:50 PM   #12
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I am planning to go back to England next year. I plan to attend the Chelsea Flower Show at the end of May and then spend a week or so in London visiting my son.
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 03:51 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Sounds good. But I'm starting to hate air travel with a burning passion.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 03:53 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Yellowstone is our planned trip for 2010. Or the New Mexico high country. We are already on the monthly "savings plan" for either destination.
From New York? Do it properly. Take Schedule the time to do both. You won't regret it. If you are driving, even better -- the drive between the two is unmatched.
Old 10-12-2009, 03:58 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
From New York? Do it properly. Take Schedule the time to do both. You won't regret it. If you are driving, even better -- the drive between the two is unmatched.
Oh, I'd love to take a month or two and wing it across America.
However, dh2b still w*rks full time and cannot be away that long. Pout.
So we will do 1 of those trips this year, the other next year.
We will fly in very close, then do some localized road trips.
Old 10-12-2009, 06:23 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post

We are starting 2010 with a cruise, seduced by cheaper prices for better accommodations than all past trips. Also planning on Europe for the summer.
we too are looking at a nice 14 day cruise in mid to late January...
Old 10-12-2009, 06:33 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Oh, I'd love to take a month or two and wing it across America.
However, dh2b still w*rks full time and cannot be away that long. Pout.
So we will do 1 of those trips this year, the other next year.
We will fly in very close, then do some localized road trips.
Ah, well. I do hope he gets well soon.

I can't help you then. Both locations are in the "must see"/"bucket list" category. Yellowstone has too many people for me but there is a well-earned reason for that. New Mexico, as I said before, is rightly named the "Land of Enchantment."

BTW, What do you consider the "high country" of New Mexico?
Old 10-14-2009, 10:34 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

[QUOTE=freebird5825;864071]Yellowstone is our planned trip for 2010./QUOTE]

In case you missed the Ken Burn's special, here a couple photographs of the Yellowstone Inn to whet your appetite:

Dakotagraph: Couple more from Wyoming
Old 10-19-2009, 01:49 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

We're planning 3 weeks in Egypt in January 2010. DIY, not a package tour. Cairo, Western Desert, Luxor, Aswan, Abu Simbel.
Robert the Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 12:43 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

I'll be in Sequoia National Park next week. Then, for a bit of a change of pace, I'm returning to Burma and Thailand for 2 1/2 months on Nov 30. Some of you may recall that I just spent two months in the region this past summer. Sorry, but I'm not much for photos (can you say "disposable camera"?), and I'm a little too lazy to post lengthy travel reports on this forum. Adventures as fabulous as you might imagine, however.

Tom
tomintucson is offline   Reply With Quote